Grammy to be needs toddler disney tips

Sparkie

DIS Veteran
I know, I know..... the baby isnt even born yet and I'm asking for disney tips for a toddler...... nothing like planning ahead :lmao:

Here's the scoop....

DD expecting baby girl in Feb.
Grammy already visualizing future Disney trips at 17 months and 27 months

I have been to disney several times but it has been a LONG time since I went with a toddler. I went once with my youngest daughter when she was 18 months, camped in the campground in march, dealt with a baby with a fever, asthma, nebulizer, and very fearful of characters so it was awhile before we went back.

My most recent trips- everybody is potty trained :-)rotfl: I have teenagers now), can dress themselves, feed themselves, and so on. I like to get up early, do rope drop, back to the hotel for lunch, NAP, maybe a swim, then back to parks in the parks in the evening. I also like to go in the summer or in October. We occasionally do evening EMH but we dont ever stay the whole time.

We are novice flyers. I have now flown a total of 3 times. From where I live we can fly Southwest direct and the flight is only 1.5 hours.

So here is what I need........

Give me your best Toddler Disney tips....

Preparing for and surviving the flight and what do I do with a stroller and a carseat for the plane

Best stroller/diaper bag packing tips

Your touring strategies with a toddler

Your meal/snack stratagies with a toddler

Favorite hotel with a toddler

And any other tidbits that you can lend this Grammy to be.....

Any specific advice will probably be outdated...but I can say I very much enjoyed taking my sweeties to Disney as wee ones and found it very easy to travel with a toddler if you follow the toddler's lead. (You'll also have to work within the new mom's comfort level)

We always got to the parks early and then took a mid day break. This worked very well for us!

(At 17 and 27 months the baby will probably still be in diapers so that's easier than a little one who is toilet training...)

I would definitely prefer a hotel to a campground with a little one, that's for sure!

Congrats!

Give me your best Toddler Disney tips....

1 - Preparing for and surviving the flight and what do I do with a stroller and a carseat for the plane

2 - Best stroller/diaper bag packing tips

3 - Your touring strategies with a toddler

4 - Your meal/snack stratagies with a toddler

5 - Favorite hotel with a toddler

1 - Carseat and stroller can be gate checked, whicjh I'd recommend rather than checking them with the regular luggage. It's a hassle to drag them both thru the airport and security to get to the gate, but less chance that they'll get destroyed.

2 - Leave a chance of clothes (or 2) in a separate bag in the bottom of the stroller. They don't need to go on every ride with you and it'll make the bag you're carrying easier to handle. Pack a ziploc with diapers, wipes and disposable changing pads so that is the only thing you'll need to bring to the restroom with you for diaper changes - (and come to think of it, that can probably stay in the bottom of the stroller as well). The rest of the bag can wait outside with someone else - much easier to maneuver that way.

3 - 1 - First, have realistic expectations and let the little one takle the lead - if she wants to play in Pooh's Playful Spot for 45 minutes, so be it. At that age, they're too young to realize that they're "supposed to" be running around the park seeing everything. Forget commando touring.

4 - Snacking in the stroller worked with us. Under age 3 they're free at buffets. And remember that Mickey and Minnie can be scary when you're that little!

5 - We've stayed at AKL and Contemporary on site, and a few offsite - really any hotel works fine.

Will be watching this thread in anticipation. We are taking our little boy in July when he'll be about 15 months so I'll be needing all the tips we can get. Sadly though we're coming in from Scotland so our flight will be way longer than an hour and a half!!

Can't wait though!!!

mo x

Congrats on the baby but I think you are planning WAY too early - there are so many variables and like the first poster said - a bit of the info will be outdated. Just be prepared that with babies, toddlers, any kids, any types of plans will need to be changed at a moments notice. Keep they hydrated, don't expect them to like everything you want them to, take your time and plug in tons of time for rest/drinks/downtime.
Good luck!

Thanks for the advice given so far.

AND YES I KNOW I AM PLANNING WAY TOO EARLY...... PLEASE FORGIVE MY OBSESSION......

My family thinks I'm nuts already but I thought Dis'ers would understand. Alot of people plan 1 or 2 years in advance for a vacation - Right now I'm just "wishing" and was wanting to gather general information......

I guess I need a VACATION..... maybe I'll take just me.....

Another part of this story..... the mother to be is my 17 year old daughter and the FOB..... is, well.... you know the acronym I'd like to use...... to say the least - out of the picture......

So... OK..... Nevermind..... my feelings are hurt.

Congratulations!!!! You will have so much fun!

For flights, get the baby their own seat and let them sit in their car seat. We always did this for our little ones and they were really good on the plane since they were used to being in their car seats.

I shipped a box ahead to the hotel with diapers/wipes/snacks, etc. The disposable sippy cups from Target were great! Ditto the disposable bibs. Since it was all stuff we used up during the trip, it was nice not to have to lug it on the plane. With the new baggage fees, it will also likely save you some money.

We have DVC and have always taken family with us, so we had a 2 bedroom villa. The full kitchen and washer/dryer really come in handy with little ones.

I recommend the WLV because of the proximity to the MK and the quiet, away from it all theme. It's a really relaxing place to take the baby back to for naps and relaxation, yet you're just a boat ride away from Mickey.

There is a really cute picture frame with a quote about the "frist trip to Disney" and we have a great pic of DD @ 18 months with chocolate all over her face and her very first Mickey bar in her hand.

Hope you have some great fun planning trips with your new grandbaby!!:cool1:

:flower3: I took my daughter to WDW when she was just 10 months old. We had a great time and it was really fun to watch her with all of the excitment. We have been since and will be going back in two weeks. I have found that it is easier before they are walking and after they are well pottytrained. The time in between can be a challenge. During that time you're much more likely to have a little one who is frightened of the experience. No matter when you take the little one, be sure to pack smart. I suggest taking their own stroller until about age three or so. Remember, the strollers at WDW are not suitable for small babies. Having preportioned snacks available is really handy as well. The baby care centers in each park have anything you may have forgotten, but of course the prices are outrageous. They also have great places to nurse the little ones. I have to say, I was very impressed the first time that I took my 10 month old. I had never had the reason to pay attention the the nursing facilities before, but they were the best public ones I have ever seen.
Babies and planes can be very tricky. Firstly, always take the car seat on the plane and buy a ticket for the baby. It is NOT safe to fly with a baby on your lap, even if the airline allows it. Many small children in carseats have survived plane crashes, while those whose parents did not purchase a ticket for them did not. Next, the air pressure changes can really upset a baby. The best thing for a baby to do to help with the discomfort is sucking in some form. Be it a paci, a bottle, or a breast. It is acceptable to remove an infant briefly in a plane to put him or her to breast. It really makes a big difference.

Our WDW trips have been from 8 months on and between two kids, we have plenty of toddler trips. Here are my tips:

1.Preparing for and surviving the flight and what do I do with a stroller and a carseat for the plane

Stroller can be taken all the way to the gate, just make sure they give you a tag at the gate that signifies your destination airport code (MCO) in case it's misplaced. Carseat can be taken onto plane if your grandchild has their own seat. Otherwise check it with luggage.

2. Best stroller/diaper bag packing tips

For the flight: pack extra diapers and extra set of clothing in case you have a delayed flight or a layover. Take tylenol or similar for ear aches. A sippy cup or bottle will help with adjusting pressure on the plane.

For the parks: have familiar snacks and bring extras. Everything costs a ton at WDW. I would invest in a good diaper bag with lots of compartments to keep organized. WDW has baby stations at all parks which makes taking care of a toddler easier.

We used a service such as wegoshop or gardengrocer to deliver necessities to the room. They can bring oatmeal, applesauce, drins, diapers etc. for a small fee. Makes packing much easier. I also packed children's outfits in gallon size ziploc bags. One outfit per bag. That way each morning I would pull out a bag that had a shirt, shorts, socks etc. and put another one in the diaper bag. No searching for little socks, hairbows and such.

3.Your touring strategies with a toddler

My toddlers were early risers, so we hit the parks at rope drop. We usually were there until lunch time and then went back to the resort for a nap. DD slept in the stroller, so sometimes we kept going, but DS needed a nap in the room. We also didn't do too many late nights with DS since he wouldn't sleep.

4.Your meal/snack stratagies with a toddler

Buffets! Under 3 eat free and there are many choices they love. Character buffet meal kept my kids entertained and we didn't have to wait to be served.

5. Favorite hotel with a toddler

Animal Kingdom Lodge. So much to do in the resort and the animals are amazing.

Your grandchild is lucky to have you! We have traveled with my mom and she is a life saver. She always gives DH and I a "night out" while at WDW and she and the kids go swimming and spend time at the resort. Going to WDW with a toddler is a wonderful experience and I hope you get to enjoy it along with your grandchild:flower3:

Congratulations! We certainly don't think you're crazy. The first thing DH said to our granddaughter when she was born was that he was taking her to Disney World!

We took her at 14 mos. and had a blast! Of course there were 4 adults and our 15 y/o son with just one toddler to take care of (wonder if she was spoiled at all?;) ).

1. We drove so we didn't have air travel issues. It was easy to take what we needed with us.

2. As for the diaper bag, we only carried essentials for a few hours. DgD was perfectly fine snacking/drinking along with us...so we didn't really have to pack special snacks or drinks for her. We made sure she had her juices and milk in the room so she was able to drink water, lemonade, etc. in the parks.

We rented strollers at the parks. I paid for the length-of-stay rental and it was very easy to just get the date stamp each day, grab our stroller and go. We had a small umbrella stroller for use around the resort.

3. The one thing we underestimated was how different our daily schedules and eating patterns are from DD and her family. Keeping a toddler on their schedule is usually not very conducive to accomplishing a whole lot of touring at Disney. We did a lot of park opening and touring for only a couple of hours then returning to the hotel for rest and going to dinner/back to the parks later in the evening.

4. Another sticking point with the food. Again, very different eating patterns between our family and DD's. DH and I like to have at least one sit down meal per day while DD and family are perfectly content to "graze" at different fast food/snack places throughout the day. I do agree about the buffets. It was the easiest way to get plenty for DgD to eat ( and making her grandparents happy that she was getting a few fruits/veggies for the day).

5. We were at POR and were perfectly happy there. No real problems or complaints, but transportation times are a bit longer than at the deluxes. We were paying for DD's family as well (2 rooms) or I would have definitely gone deluxe. I think the deluxes are just so much more convenient and you have more dining options. It would have been easier for DH and I to have taken our son and DgD to dinner while DD and DSIL had a pizza or burgers at a counter service place. I would definitely stay at a monorail resort if you can.

I know there is a certain amount of planning involved in taking any trip, but just go and enjoy yourselves and that precious grandbaby. Go with the flow and eat, sleep, play, and rest when she needs to. I loved our trip and I cherish our memories of it!! Definitely take lots of pictures and get the photopass CD!

Hope you all have a great trip!!!

Thanks so much for all of your inputs..... and thanks for not thinking Im crazy.

My daughters unplanned teenage pregnancy has been very stressful and I have had times when I find myself not feeling as excited as I thought I would or should when I am about to become a new grandmother ( also "grandmother" makes me feel so old... I dont wanna be old)

So I have been trying to imagine how it would be to take my new grandchild to Disney.... a place that brings me much happiness.... so I have been mentally planning this future trip for quite sometime. And as we get closer to her delivery day.... I have to admit that I am beginning to feel a little excited.

Again.... thanks so much for everyone's suggestions.

Our previous trip to WDW was with our eldest, who was 13 months old at the time -- we had no idea what to expect (didn't know about the online support resources like this!), and on the whole, got lucky. We're going back with a not-quite 4-year-old and a pair of just-over-2-year-olds in March, so a lot of this is pretty present in my mind. Here are my opinions/tips:

Preparing for and surviving the flight and what do I do with a stroller and a carseat for the plane

Best bet for the flight is to try and arrange the times so that the child stands a good chance of napping through it. Also, give them a bottle or sippy cup just before take-off so that the air pressure won't hurt their ears (the infant/toddler version of the gum chewing trick).

I'd pack the stroller in some form of protective case or box -- ours got beat up pretty badly as a gate-check item.

Best stroller/diaper bag packing tips

Travel as light as possible, but don't skimp on things that will be hard (or take time) to find.

Your touring strategies with a toddler

Planning is a good thing, but flexibility is important, too. Know the child and what he/she is interested in, or will likely enjoy, and try to make sure they get chances to do that. As many others have said, you still have to take your cues from the child -- they will NOT operate at your pace, and you will have to adjust to them.

Nevertheless, having studies the attractions/dining/etc. lets you react and re-plan on the fly. Any fixed plans (like ADRs) should be fit into the child's normal routine as best as possible to avoid issues.

We lucked out in that our son took a nap in his stroller every afternoon after lunch for pretty much 2 hours. This let us stay in the parks all day, at least as much as we wanted to, and he still was refreshed enough to go the rest of the day without getting overtired.

Your mileage may vary... in which case it is important to recognize the signs of over-stimulation or tiredness and be prepared to cut a visit short, or at least take some time away from the parks for part of the day.

Your meal/snack stratagies with a toddler

ADRs for breakfast/dinner at their normal mealtimes. I'd think about going with just a snack or a grab-and-go for lunches, to avoid having to keep to a tight schedule mid-day.

As for snacks, take a baggie or two of a simple snack (cheerios, pretzels, goldfish, etc.) for when they're acting hungry and there's no time (or too long of a line!) to get them a snack from a shop or cart. If they're already acting tired, don't pump them up with sugar!

Favorite hotel with a toddler

Can't help there... this will be our first time staying on-property. We had a 2BR timeshare and it worked out great for us -- he could go to sleep and we would just relax for the rest of the evening.

Just to emphasize -- don't expect to do too much, and you'll be fine. Each child will react and behave differently, and the key is to recognize what they're enjoying and what they're not, and to tailor the experience accordingly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter