Graduation Parties - before graduation? Anybody do this?

komondorok

Mouseketeer
My daughter is graduating from High School in a few weeks. Graduation is on a late Saturday afternoon.

We are planning on sending out her invites this week. However, with the ones we have already received and speaking to many of her friends, most of the kids are having open houses on Sunday afternoon. And most of them fall within a few hours of each other - 1 to 5 in the afternoon. Some are 1-3, some 2-5, etc.

Since this is my first kid graduating - how do kids have their own parties and still find time to flit to the other ones? Will I be hosting a group of teens and relatives and explaining the DD will be right back, as she went to visit so-and-so? Will she up and leave her own party to go to the others?

And has anybody ever hosted their graduation party before graduation? Since graduation is late Saturday, we thought it might be fun to have her party Friday night. That way she has Sunday to visit all her friends.

Or is this a HUGE no-no in the land of HS graduation parties?

in my experience the grads don't always spend the whole day at their party. They are there for a couple hours with the key older relatives like grands and great aunts, etc. Then they make the rounds to a bunch of other parties. They might stop home once or twice depending on the proximity of things. The parents host the party.
I see no problem with a Friday night party. It might be possible that some of her friends won't be able to attend due to getting ready for graduation.

All of the above.;)
Some kids have theirs before the grad. date. Some will leave their party to go to a friend's party, although most kids stay at their own party until the time stated on the invitation and then RUN to the next party.
I graduated with almost 900 in my class. Their were parties for 2 weeks before, and 2 weeks after graduation.

There are plenty that are before graduation here. Some have the weekend before, some have brunch the morning of. I don't think I've ever seen someone leave their own party though. Can honestly say I don't think I'd be really happy if I showed up at an open house expecting to congratulate the graduate only to find they were even there. We just planned on missing those that were at the same time and hit all the others that we could.

It's perfectly fine to have the party before the actual graduation date. Many of my classmates and relatives have done that. I guess it depends on what date is the most convenient for you and most of your guests.

It is common for the grads to leave their own parties to go to a friend's. They could even hit 3 or 4 parties in the same day, depending on the times of the parties.
I stayed for most of my party, but then when things were winding down, I went over to a friend's party after he had come to mine (our parties were on the same date).

We had my son's graduation party two weeks before graduation. We had a big outdoor barbeque and most of the kids stayed all day. It was fun and there was no pressure to "be somewhere else".

Oh, forgot to add that my nephew is having his Memorial Day weekend because some of the family will have an extra day to travel. He graduates about 10 days later.

We have not thrown one early, but have been to them. Yes, the kids make the rounds at the parties...they rarely stay at their own the whole time...just can't, and for the great reason of so many friends. Most are in the same boat so it is accepted that the guest of honor is in/out over the day. The one thing we did for one kid who was questionalbleon actually pulling off graduation, was post date his check until their graduation date...:rotfl: it was more for fun than anything...around here you can't even get tix for the ceremonies...only 4 allowed per family, so traditional graduation events have been adjusted. 900 is on lthe low side here for a class size...so you get the picture. I have a double grad next year, DS 8TH and DD H.S., it will really be an open house deal, and may not take place until August...sort of a "start to your new life" as one heads to college and the other to HS...You just have to go with the flow.

Pam

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter