GPS and California Driving Law

Mama Bear Me2

Mouseketeer
Hi,

I want to bring my GPS to use while in the Los Angeles, CA area.

I am hoping someone (especially those who live in LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA) will be able to help me.

I know that California Driving Laws has restrictions for WINDOW mounted GPS.

Questions:

1) Can I DASH MOUNT my GPS (so long as it does not obstruct the driver's view)?

2) Any restrictions on DASH MOUNTING? (eg. location of Dash Mounting)

Thanks!! Appreciate your help! :-)

In CA it can be anywhere on your dash as long as it does not obstruct your view. If mounted on the windshield it can ONLY be mounted in the bottom left 4" corner of the windshield to be legal (bottom left from driver's view). You can no longer hold any electronic devices.

I travle a lot with rental cars and here is the clip I keep in my bag...not the cheapest but I have yet to find a car that it does not work on. I have them in my home car and travel bag.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LU5LWQK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you not have a smartphone with a maps app?

Nothing screams tourist more than a GPS in the car...

You can't hold your phone, but it's cheap to buy a windshield suction (non permanent) mount.

Most dash mounts require using adhesive. You can't do that in a rental car.

Thanks ParkHopper 1 and DLgal for your help!

Good to know that I can dash mount my GPS so long as it doesn't obstruct the view.

I will be using a portable friction mount for my GPS (basically "sandbag" idea) so no adhesive required. Also, once the car is parked I will be taking the GPS with us.

Thanks again! :-)

Thanks ParkHopper 1 and DLgal for your help!

Good to know that I can dash mount my GPS so long as it doesn't obstruct the view.

I will be using a portable friction mount for my GPS (basically "sandbag" idea) so no adhesive required. Also, once the car is parked I will be taking the GPS with us.

Thanks again! :-)

You can't use the sandbag style mounts though. They obstruct the view out the windshield. The GPS cannot sit above the level of the dash. It has to be mounted on the dash on a vertical surface BELOW the windshield sight line OR it has to be attached to the windshield in either of the lower corners. You cannot sit it on the dash in the corner.

You can't use the sandbag style mounts though. They obstruct the view out the windshield. The GPS cannot sit above the level of the dash. It has to be mounted on the dash on a vertical surface BELOW the windshield sight line OR it has to be attached to the windshield in either of the lower corners. You cannot sit it on the dash in the corner.
I live in CA and have the sandbag style GPS mount and use it all the time. The new law specifically states you can have it on your dash. http://abc7.com/travel/new-2017-driving-laws-in-california/1681906/

I live in CA and have the sandbag style GPS mount and use it all the time. The new law specifically states you can have it on your dash. http://abc7.com/travel/new-2017-driving-laws-in-california/1681906/

Well, good luck if you get pulled over. My friend was warned about that same thing. She had her phone mounted on top of her dash in the center and the cop said it could not be there because it obstructed the view of the road. He said it needed to be affixed to the windshield in the corners or mounted with a dash clip below the top of the dash. The law says the same thing.

In CA it can be anywhere on your dash as long as it does not obstruct your view. If mounted on the windshield it can ONLY be mounted in the bottom left 4" corner of the windshield to be legal (bottom left from driver's view). You can no longer hold any electronic devices.

I travle a lot with rental cars and here is the clip I keep in my bag...not the cheapest but I have yet to find a car that it does not work on. I have them in my home car and travel bag.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LU5LWQK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have this as well. I love it.

To stay on topic - a friend of my husbands was using the sandbag style dash mount for his GPS and got pulled over for speeding. Like DLgal friend, when the police officer saw it, he told him he couldn't have it on his dash for the same reason. This was 3 months ago.

Maybe I don't get called in it as I never get pulled over. I don't usually go too fast besides 5 miles over the speed limit. Sorry I didn't know. :rolleyes:

Maybe I don't get called in it as I never get pulled over. I don't usually go too fast besides 5 miles over the speed limit. Sorry I didn't know. :rolleyes:
Even if you don't commit a moving violation, you never know when an officer is going pull along side you at a signal or spot it in a parking lot and decide to pull you over. Most people will probably get away with it, or get away with it for a long time. But there are always the unlucky few.

Thanks Everyone!

Sounds like I should window mount (ie. suction cup) my GPS to the window. Since there's 2 of us in the front, I'll place it in the LOWER RIGHT PASSENGER SIDE.

In case I have problems with the "fit" for some reason, I guess I'll just HOLD the GPS in my hand since I will be the passenger and my husband will be the driver ... this way, we won't be breaking laws regarding HOLDING GPS in your hands. :-)

Read that again...Yes, you can have it on your dash as long as it does not in any way obstruct your view out the windshield.

Here is the law:

(a) A person shall not drive a motor vehicle while holding and operating a handheld wireless telephone or an electronic wireless communications device unless the wireless telephone or electronic wireless communications device is specifically designed and configured to allow voice-operated and hands-free operation, and it is used in that manner while driving.
(b) This section shall not apply to manufacturer-installed systems that are embedded in the vehicle.
(c) A handheld wireless telephone or electronic wireless communications device may be operated in a manner requiring the use of the driver’s hand while the driver is operating the vehicle only if both of the following conditions are satisfied:
(1) The handheld wireless telephone or electronic wireless communications device is mounted on a vehicle’s windshield in the same manner a portable Global Positioning System (GPS) is mounted pursuant to paragraph (12) of subdivision (b) of Section 26708 or is mounted on or affixed to a vehicle’s dashboard or center console in a manner that does not hinder the driver’s view of the road.
d

(2) A person shall not drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or upon the vehicle that obstructs or reduces the driver’s clear view through the windshield or side windows.

Thanks Everyone!

Sounds like I should window mount (ie. suction cup) my GPS to the window. Since there's 2 of us in the front, I'll place it in the LOWER RIGHT PASSENGER SIDE.

In case I have problems with the "fit" for some reason, I guess I'll just HOLD the GPS in my hand since I will be the passenger and my husband will be the driver ... this way, we won't be breaking laws regarding HOLDING GPS in your hands. :-)

Since there are two of you, just have the passenger hold it. I don't know why mounting it would be something to do, if there's a passenger.

Since there are two of you, just have the passenger hold it. I don't know why mounting it would be something to do, if there's a passenger.

Thanks again for everyone's help and input! :-)

To clarify ... I would prefer mounting the GPS because there's a camera on the GPS and in order for some of the functions to work, the camera must have a view of the road. :-)

Read that again...Yes, you can have it on your dash as long as it does not in any way obstruct your view out the windshield.

Here is the law:

(a) A person shall not drive a motor vehicle while holding and operating a handheld wireless telephone or an electronic wireless communications device unless the wireless telephone or electronic wireless communications device is specifically designed and configured to allow voice-operated and hands-free operation, and it is used in that manner while driving.
(b) This section shall not apply to manufacturer-installed systems that are embedded in the vehicle.
(c) A handheld wireless telephone or electronic wireless communications device may be operated in a manner requiring the use of the driver’s hand while the driver is operating the vehicle only if both of the following conditions are satisfied:
(1) The handheld wireless telephone or electronic wireless communications device is mounted on a vehicle’s windshield in the same manner a portable Global Positioning System (GPS) is mounted pursuant to paragraph (12) of subdivision (b) of Section 26708 or is mounted on or affixed to a vehicle’s dashboard or center console in a manner that does not hinder the driver’s view of the road.
d

(2) A person shall not drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or upon the vehicle that obstructs or reduces the driver’s clear view through the windshield or side windows.
Thanks for this. I tried looking up the law as well but kept finding info on mounting to the windshield. :o

Here is the law:

d

THANK YOU!! Very helpful!! :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter