Good trip insurance companies for cruise cancellation

LAX

DIS Veteran
In light of the recent DCL cancellations, there is likely a decent number of DISers affected (sorry it happened to you). I am interested in hearing your real world experiences with your trip insurance company regarding the claim process. I want to know which companies are difficult to deal with (ie: find excuses to deny a claim, demand for unreasonable documentation, use obscure/hidden clauses, etc.) so that I can avoid them. I also want to know which ones are easy to work with to get your rightful reimbursement. TIA.

Edit: I am interested in knowing about reimbursement for any pre- and/or post-cruise arrangements interrupted by the cruise cancellation as well. Thanks.

LAX

Last edited:
In light of the recent DCL cancellations, there is likely a decent number of DISers affected (sorry it happened to you). I am interested in hearing your real world experiences with your trip insurance company regarding the claim process. I want to know which companies are difficult to deal with (ie: find excuses to deny a claim, demand for unreasonable documentation, use obscure/hidden clauses, etc.) so that I can avoid them. I also want to know which ones are easy to work with to get your rightful reimbursement. TIA.

Edit: I am interested in knowing about reimbursement for any pre- and/or post-cruise arrangements interrupted by the cruise cancellation as well. Thanks.

LAX
As each policy that can be purchased is unique unto itself (you choose what you want covered, in what amount, for how long, etc), it's not going to be particularly helpful to hear other people's experience related to their particular policy.

When doing research for policies - there a several travel insurance comparison sites where you can put the parameters of what you want covered, and they will show you many different companies policies that fit your particulars. They also have review scores as to how good the company is in working with you, as well as how long they've been in business (a fairly good indicator of how "good" they are).

Also, it's really on YOU to read the policy and know what's covered, how much, and necessary documents for filing for reimbursement.

I would love to hear people's experiences with their trip insurance companies too. I realize that everyone may have differing policy coverages, but I think what the OP wants to hear about is others experience when they actually have to submit claims to the trip insurance companies (OP - correct me if I'm wrong). Were the customer service folks pleasant/decent to deal with? Was there a lot of push-back from the trip insurance company for one reason or another? How long did their reimbursements take?

I would love to hear people's experiences with their trip insurance companies too. I realize that everyone may have differing policy coverages, but I think what the OP wants to hear about is others experience when they actually have to submit claims to the trip insurance companies (OP - correct me if I'm wrong). Were the customer service folks pleasant/decent to deal with? Was there a lot of push-back from the trip insurance company for one reason or another? How long did their reimbursements take?

This sums it up pretty well. I am aware there are "reviews" out there, but most of them are fairly short and not really helpful. Of course, I am not looking for a 3-page recount of an entire claim process, but something like "Company X was difficult to work with. I had to submit document after document to prove an expense was incurred as a result of the cancellation. And that was before a 2-hour long phone call I had to make after two earlier denials."

LAX

We've used Insure My Trip to search for companies, and for seven trips (not all cruises; some out of the country AIs) chose Travel Insured Inc. Insure My Trip allows you to pick and choose the parameters you need. Cruise vacations have their own specific requirements, so that is the first thing you'll need to be sure your policy covers. And I find trip interruption is a necessity for cruise vacations. Only one time (fogged out of Galveston, couldn't disembark for hours, missed car, missed flight, needed new hotels and flights the next day for family of 5 in winter) we used it and they came through for us, no problems whatsoever.

ETA: Oh, oooops, are you only asking about those who had a cruise cancelled during Irma? Sorry for that! DCL cancelled two of our cruises, but not for a hurricane, and the major problem we had was rescheduling our air, since the new cruise they allowed us to pick departed from a different port in a different state. Dealing with the airlines was horrible, but what helped us was actually the credit card we booked our flights on, not the airlines themselves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter