Good Idea to buy 150 SSR points to use at other resorts in June and July?

AKNOTTS66

Mouseketeer
I was wondering what you all thought of this idea. Would it be a better buy to buy 150 SSR points to use in June and July the less busy DVC months and staying around at say BWV Garden/Pool view and BLT Lake View or Poly Standard View rooms than buying the pricier points? We will always travel in June and July since the wife is a teacher. What are the pros and cons long term? I could even see Disney extending the expiration date for SSR one day since I doubt they want all of SSR's points again one day to try to resell.

I am also a teacher, and this is basically what we did except our usual travel is August. We bought 75 points last year and are going on our first trip last couple days of Aug and first week of September (thank you late Labor Day). Long story short, I could have booked a studio at any of the resorts at 7 months (including GF and CCV). We ended up booking a split stay between BLT and BC. I was confident in this plan due to this thread:

DVC Booking Patterns

This was invaluable in seeing what we could expect. But as we have seen, Disney has been known to make adjustments to the system which could change when people travel, but from what I've seen I'd be more then happy to get "stuck" at Saratoga

I was wondering what you all thought of this idea. Would it be a better buy to buy 150 SSR points to use in June and July the less busy DVC months and staying around at say BWV Garden/Pool view and BLT Lake View or Poly Standard View rooms than buying the pricier points? We will always travel in June and July since the wife is a teacher. What are the pros and cons long term? I could even see Disney extending the expiration date for SSR one day since I doubt they want all of SSR's points again one day to try to resell.
Given the OKW extension failure, I don’t anticipate DVC wandering down that rabbit hole again with another large resort. Don’t factor that into your decision-making process.

A lot of people do just fine using SSR for SAPs (sleep around points). June/July are not high-demand months and you should be able to find something at other resorts at 7 months. However, as the 2042 resorts expire, you will be competing with other owners at 7 months for that shrinking pool of resorts you will be eligible to book at with your points.

Given the OKW extension failure, I don’t anticipate DVC wandering down that rabbit hole again with another large resort. Don’t factor that into your decision-making process.

A lot of people do just fine using SSR for SAPs (sleep around points). June/July are not high-demand months and you should be able to find something at other resorts at 7 months. However, as the 2042 resorts expire, you will be competing with other owners at 7 months for that shrinking pool of resorts you will be eligible to book at with your points.
Good points. I really wonder what Disney's Plans will be with the 2042 resorts. I believe they will resell them on new 50 year contracts but if they do that they will be looking at trying to sell BWV, BCV, BRV, OKW, HHI and VB all at once. I'd imagine they will try the extension offers again but with only 5 years left. I think the OKW extension failed because most owners were already older and didnt want an extra 15 years that might put them in their 60s to 80s.

We thought about doing the same thing and this is why we ultimately decided to buy a smaller poly contract. It’s our favorite but too expensive for us to buy too many points at so we bought the bulk of our points at AKV. I was too worried that the shrinking pool of resorts would effect our ability to book there down the road, so the smaller contract gives me piece of mind.

Last edited:
We thought about doing the same thing and this is why we ultimately decided to buy a smaller poly contract. It’s our favorite but too expensive for us to buy too many points at so we bought the bulk of our points at AKV. I was too worried that the shrinking pool of resorts would effect our ability to book there down the road, so the smaller contract gives me piece of mind.
Another good point :)

It is always a gamble, but I think you would have a good amount of options.

1. You have a 2 month time frame to find a week with availability at 7 months
2. Poly seems to have pretty decent 7 month availability in the summer, particularly July
3. BLT Lake view also has pretty good availability
BW is a little tighter.
If I were in your shoes, I would buy either AK or SSR. AK is a tad more expensive and the dues are higher, but they, to me, are in the same ball park, so I would go with the one that I would prefer to stay at if it was a strong preference.
I think you will be able to get a week at one of your target resorts in that two month stretch almost every year.

With a 2 month booking window in the summer, I think you are in the best possible position to use 'Sleep Around Points'

Can not for the life of me see them extending SSR - see OKW

Its definitely a workable strategy given the times of year you wish to travel

I have always had great luck in the summer to stay at lots of different resorts. I just retired from teaching So had to do summer for many years,

If you have the flexibility of a 2 month stretch to try to get in your trip, it will definitely help. We sometimes did split stays at MK resort and Epcot resort which also helped as then we only needed to try for 3 days at each,

It certainly is a good way to get in and as long as you realize you need to be flexible, or if you are locked in to dates, forced to be at SSR at times, then it’s worth the savings right now!

There are very strong reasons to believe that no extensions will be offered. They may offer shorter (not 50 year) contracts that begin on February 1, 2042, but they won't be extensions. They will be new contracts in a new condo association.

There are very strong reasons to believe that no extensions will be offered. They may offer shorter (not 50 year) contracts that begin on February 1, 2042, but they won't be extensions. They will be new contracts in a new condo association.
Exactly. That way they can combine them into the same Residential Units and such. The way it is now, and extension would be in your existing residential unit, meaning Disney might have to leave every building standing. If they get them all into one or 2 buildings by reassigning RUs, they could regain control of all the other buildings, and so as they please with them

Exactly. That way they can combine them into the same Residential Units and such. The way it is now, and extension would be in your existing residential unit, meaning Disney might have to leave every building standing. If they get them all into one or 2 buildings by reassigning RUs, they could regain control of all the other buildings, and so as they please with them
That makes a lot of sense.

So its more likely they offer a special deal to current owners to buy new contracts.

One thing to consider is that the strategy could work well right now but things can change. If point requirements work their way up in other seasons and down during the summer there could be a shift in demand. Just make sure you are content staying at whichever resort you buy into just in case you aren't able to get the ones you would prefer.

The points for summer went down starting in 2021, and none of us knows how that is going to affect the typically slower summer season for DVC. We sometimes travel to WDW in the summer, and I’m worried it’s going to affect availability because DVC members, including me, are always looking to stretch points.

I just wanted you to be aware that we won’t really know the affect of the lower points in summer compared to previous years for quite a few months.

The points for summer went down starting in 2021, and none of us knows how that is going to affect the typically slower summer season for DVC. We sometimes travel to WDW in the summer, and I’m worried it’s going to affect availability because DVC members, including me, are always looking to stretch points.

I just wanted you to be aware that we won’t really know the affect of the lower points in summer compared to previous years for quite a few months.
It really hasn't changed much overall though. May over a week 2-7 points.

It really hasn't changed much overall though. May over a week 2-7 points.

It is more for 1BRs and 2BRs. It also depends on the resort. You’d be surprised how much a shift of 7 points will make DVC members change vacationing because that means it went up somewhere else. I just wanted to point it out.

Also, have them subject to all restrictions in 2042, and new points charts.

It is more for 1BRs and 2BRs. It also depends on the resort. You’d be surprised how much a shift of 7 points will make DVC members change vacationing because that means it went up somewhere else. I just wanted to point it out.
You are quite right in pointing it out. I would add also that I think they're not done with the reallocation. I would expect another nudge in 2022, then they'll reassess. If the summer will continue to be low demand, they might decide to reallocate again.
Long story short: buying SSR is a good idea if you have the flexibility to make them work. Would you be happy if due to the reallocations the Summer becomes high demand season and you'll have to stay at SSR most years?

Ahh okay we only book Studios so thats probably why

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter