Good deals on nice greeting cards for DH

kathy884

DIS Veteran
Hi,
One budget friendly thing that DH and I do is that we don't exchange Christmas, Birthday, Anniversary, or Valentine's Day presents. For birthdays we do celebrate with a small cake. And on all of these days we exchange nice greeting cards which have usually been a Hallmark card picked up at Walgreens or something like that.

But OMG, the card that I just bought at Walgreens (Hallmark) for DH's birthday on Monday was almost $7 (what?). There were some 99 cent cards from shoebox, but I didn't like any of them. Any suggestions about other places to go to to shop for cards and other nice brands of cards? With no present and just a card I would like it to be nice, but prices IMHO are a bit outrageous. Any suggestions?

I saw that Costco had a pack of 25 really nice cards for all different occasions for $10. I would look at places like Dollar General. They often have cards for $1 or less.

Definately dollar stores, you can get them for .50 or $1. I've found some really nice ones over the years that are just as nice as Hallmark. I just can't pay $$$ for cards!!!

Dollar Tree. I like some of there cards better than Hallmark.

Edit: I can't believe I spelled it "there." I'm just going to leave it there.

Last edited:
Alternative - I like to use photos to make greeting cards. If you use the Walmart website or the Shutterfly website, you can upload a photo and make a folded card (not the flat style that people usually use for holiday cards). On Walmart's website, look under All Departments for Photo, then Same Day, then 5 x 7 folded card. You can get one printed for $1.42, which is cheaper than many pre-made cards. I have made birthday cards using old family photos of the person's childhood birthday party. I also use photos of the animals at Disney's Animal Kingdom park, and the flowers at Epcot. I also have purchased Avery's half-fold greeting cards (# 3265) from Staples. These are 20 sheets with 20 envelopes. That way I can print the cards myself at home. Of course printing them yourself can use up your ink. If you're only going to do this occasionally, you're better off uploading to WalMart.

Walmart has Hallmark... there's Always a section of .47, .99 and 1.97. And of course the myriad of others that are crazy expensive.
I generally Mail out cards every month for family birthdays and purchase the inexpensive ones.
I actually started a postcard "thing" with my nieces out of state. Every month I send each a postcard (4) I pick them up along my travels, and at local stores. The girls love to get them and I get to keep in touch in writing!
It is fun to face time but Geeze, these kids don't write anymore... now they do.. once in a while!
As far as cards go... I have cards from my dh since we started dating ( crazy but true) so I love cards...
Now we don't typically exchange..other than birthday cards..

and we have a running joke.. when we are in a store and it's near a holiday.. say St Patrick's... I'll grab a card and say... here, read this one, it's what I woulda chosen. We both always laugh about it.
It's just such a waste of money... I'd rather Tell him he's the Best to his face..
and I Do:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter