• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Good cheap eats

msteffen

Mouseketeer
Hey everyone,
We will be in Disney in February. For a school event and will be on a very tight budget. Any insights on great places to eat around Disney on and off property? I have my park days figured. Just trying to figure the non park days. Thank you all so much for your help

Hey everyone,
We will be in Disney in February. For a school event and will be on a very tight budget. Any insights on great places to eat around Disney on and off property? I have my park days figured. Just trying to figure the non park days. Thank you all so much for your help

Are you a "family". If so, I say splitting some meals at Counter service. As in 3 meals for 4 person.
This works well if someone is younger like a child with smaller appetite. Ask for Free water, no soft drink.

If you have a car, there are plenty of off-site spots - both chain and not - that are significantly cheaper than Disney prices. Some of those places may even deliver to your hotel, like Panera.

At Disney Springs, several of the counter service restaurants aren't priced too much higher than similar restaurants outside of Disney. Like, Blaze Pizza, Earl of Sandwich, Polite Pig, and YeSake.

If you have a car, there are plenty of off-site spots - both chain and not - that are significantly cheaper than Disney prices. Some of those places may even deliver to your hotel, like Panera.

At Disney Springs, several of the counter service restaurants aren't priced too much higher than similar restaurants outside of Disney. Like, Blaze Pizza, Earl of Sandwich, Polite Pig, and YeSake.

Offsite eateries take time to get to though, so they make the most sense if you're on your way to or from offsite hotels or otherwise already. You may save money on food, but added petrol costs for driving to and from may mean you come out at the same price!

Will you be able to eat a light breakfast in your room? This will save a ton and you can have groceries delivered either via Garden Grocer, the local Publix or Amazon pantry. Or if you have a car, there are plenty of locations close to get some things for the room.

You can bring food with you in the parks. It is very often I see families bringing sandwiches in soft sided coolers rather than pay for overpriced QS in the parks. DH & I were there last week and saw a family of 7 walking around with sandwiches rather than buying food there.

If you can buy discounted gift cards at either Sam's or BJ's (you don't need to be a member to order on BJ's site) and then only use those for meals.

As others have said, don't drink soda or buy water. Ice water is free from any counter service location and comes from the soda fountains not the tap. Bring drink sticks if you aren't into water and a thermal bottle. I pour my water in my own bottle and add flavoring as I want it. Saves a ton.

Bring your own snacks rather than buy them.

At some QS locations you do not have to buy the full meal. So if one person gets a full meal (burger & fries) and one just orders the burger, you can share the FF from one. Saves a few bucks.

Blaze Pizza at Disney Springs is great! We ate there yesterday, and it was about $10.00 a person. There are several kiosks in Disney Springs that offer good, cheap food.

Blaze Pizza at Disney Springs is great! We ate there yesterday, and it was about $10.00 a person. There are several kiosks in Disney Springs that offer good, cheap food.
I was going to say the same about Blaze. We ate there for the first time about two weeks ago and it was really very good.

Blaze is good - haven't been to the one in Disney Springs, but we have one at home and enjoy it. Wolfgang Puck Express also has larger portions you can likely share between two people.

Blaze is amazing - we have them here as well (going for lunch in fact) and you could probably split a pizza between two people. I can get an entire one cause it's super delicious but they will let you do half and half on the pizza, even the sauce. I always get half regular pizza sauce and half with the garlic or alfredo (whatever the white sauce is called)

Last time we were at Disney we went to a buffet type place: https://souplantation.com
Very affordable (about $10 per person i think) and it starts out with a giant salad bar and then they have a bunch of soups and some other offerings like pasta. Looks like it's called Sweet Tomatoes in Orlando

I do a lot of budget trips and am a big fan of brownbagging it for most lunches in the parks and saving my $$ for the unique things that Disney does best-Mickey bars, Dole Whips, specialty cupcakes, etc. I usually bring in wraps or pasta salad, fruit and veggie sticks.

A typical budget trip day looks something like this:
Breakfast-yogurt or oatmeal, fruit, coffee
Lunch-southwest pasta salad, tangerine
Dinner-(in room)-baked potato, veggie chili, carrot sticks

But I'm a 57 year old female. When our children were young I made more kid friendly stuff:
PB sandwiches (PB on both slices of bread, jelly in the middle)
Cheese cubes
Pretzels
Veggie sticks
Celery stuffed with peanut butter
Homemade trail mix
Homemade Lunchables

I would also pack some "forbidden fruit"-packaged junk that I wouldn't allow in the school lunches-to make it feel a little more special.

I find wraps or pita hold up much better than traditional sandwiches. Bagels work well too.

We spent our dining money on things like character meals and fun restaurant experiences like Whispeting Canyon or Sci Fi.

Blaze is amazing - we have them here as well (going for lunch in fact) and you could probably split a pizza between two people. I can get an entire one cause it's super delicious but they will let you do half and half on the pizza, even the sauce. I always get half regular pizza sauce and half with the garlic or alfredo (whatever the white sauce is called)

Last time we were at Disney we went to a buffet type place: https://souplantation.com
Very affordable (about $10 per person i think) and it starts out with a giant salad bar and then they have a bunch of soups and some other offerings like pasta. Looks like it's called Sweet Tomatoes in Orlando

We make special trips offsite for Sweet Tomatoes, absolutely love it! So nice to have a big plate of salad after a few days of theme park food.

I recommend checking out advice on www.mousesavers.com

I did a super budget trip with my husband the year before we got married. Stayed off site for $59/night at a Residence Inn (that's not been one for many years), which included breakfast (which we made it to early every day). We left the parks at lunch and ate in Kissimmee (found a Chinese place that had a lunch buffet for like $5 but that was 26 years ago). We brought snacks with us. Only bought a few snacks and drinks in the parks. We cooked some, shopping at Publix.

Even now I always have a grocery order for breakfast in the room (I don't need breakfast but my youngest does want something), also I get some beer and wine for before bed or afternoon breaks, other snacks.

You can easily pack protein bars, pb&j, juice boxes (no straws allowed at DAK though), water (or ask for cups free wherever they have fountain drinks, pack Crystal Light to make it taste better), fruit like apples.

There are a TON of places right nearby - I've heard folks love Sweet Tomatoes, also Cici's pizza, heck there's even McDonald's (which I've actually driven through).

Earl of Sandwich in Disney Springs is our favorite cheap food at Disney. It's yummy! Plus, sometimes you can get email deals for extra savings if you sign up on their website.

Blaze Pizza, EOS, the fajita platter is definitely shareable at Pecos Bills, Flame Tree the rack of ribs or combo platter is also shareable.
I would definitely bring bagels, fruit bars, cereal, pop tarts for the room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter