golf

nancyv58

Mouseketeer
My DH would like me to ask what golf course at Disney is the best one or your personal favorite and why? Thanks for your help.

My DH's favorite is Osprey Ridge. He likes the elevation changes and the risk reward scenerios that are on alot of the holes where you can try to go for it or lay back. I know you juat asked for one - but he said LBV is a close second. This course places a premium on hitting the ball straight. You do not have to be a distance hitter to do well there if you are a straight hitter. PS - I ride along with him and have a great time just looking at the scenery and animals. Have even seen a few gators. SO my opinion as a rider ... I like the one with the Mickey Mouse ears sandtrap the best (Magnolia I think) ! Last year, hubby got a two for one golf deal in Dec that was great. You may want to inquire to see if they have this again this year depending on the time of year you are going. Have a great trip and tell you DH to have fun on the golf course.

Sherry8253, DH golfs alot and he has the same picks as your DH! Osprey is his favorite, followed by LBV. Yet, there is no golf course at WDW he wouldn't like to play it. Next month we're there for 6 days, he's golfing 4!

Osprey is our favorite, too. But if you ever decide you want to get out of the cart and swing the club, Oak Trail is fun, inexpensive and great for just a fun round of golf.

Nancyv58, my family has played on most of the WDW courses and we love 'em all (I know, not the answer that you were hoping for!).

The official WDW website really has some nice information on it regarding each of the courses. You can even find course layouts there. Click here to go to the official WDW website regarding GOLF. By the way, when we've taken lessons with their golf pros, we've had so much fun (and learned a few tricks, too).

Hi Simbas Mom - I know what you mean. My DH would play each one of them everytime we go too if he could. He has already told me that he is playing 4 times when we go in Nov. That is why I told him we are staying 2 extra days because at that time of year when the parks close so early golf really cuts into park time. It really isnt worth it to go to the MK or AK in the afternoon after golf. That is also why I just decided to ride along and have fun. Since it is just the 2 of us, I would end up spending half of my vacation alone. Alas... these golfer husbands. Hope you have a great trip and your DH has fun on the courses.

DH and DS have played all the courses and like Osprey the best. Beautiful.
This is Magnolia:
fd06abfd.jpg

Will be playing Eagle Pines during our visit in June. Would welcome any comments about the course since this is our first visit there. Any comments about the Sand Trap Bar & Grill would be great too!! Thanks & yeah I know it's going to be hot. Being from Texas we are kinda used to that! We are about 35 days away from our Disney vacation and we are counting the seconds!

doubled07

If you are going in June, be aware of "price slice," meaning after 10 a.m. the price of the courses goes down -- for Eagle Pines from about $90 to $55.

The five 18-hole courses are Palm, Osprey Ridge, Eagle Pines, Magnolia, and Lake Buena Vista. The degree of difficulty is also in that order (with Osprey and Palm being about equal in degree of difficulty). None is overly difficult or easy. Osprey is by far the most impressive course there with the most memorable holes and two of the best finishing holes you will ever see. One thing to be aware of as you struggle through the first difficult 13 holes is that 14 through 18 are much harder. It is also the most expensive, followed by Eagle Pines, and then the other three are usually the same price. Magnolia is the longest course but has very wide fairways (and the Mickey shaped trap on No. 6). Palm has the narrowest fairways, lots of water, and Palm trees that literally eat balls, it has the feel of a very old course. Lake buena Vista runs through the OKW resort and has a minimum number of tricks.

Eagle Pines is the shortest course but it is a lot of "target" golf particularly around the greens (lots of traps and often water close to the green). It also has many sand waste areas running up the sides of the fairways (you can ground your club in those). The course is a Pete Dye design and is probably the easiest Pete Dye designed course in existence, which simply means it is not as impossible to play as the courses that he usually designs -- he loves to put 450 yard par 4's directly into a prevailing 25 mile an hour wind but avoided that at Disney. The course is very pretty and you feel isolated while playing because you see nothing but golf course and swamp forests while playing (and often an alligator); both it and Osprey (its sister course) are designed so that you are farthest from the clubhouse on the 9th hole and then return on the back nine -- thus you only see the clubhouse at 1 and 18, but there is a refreshment cart (fully stocked) that usually comes every four holes. They sell course books at the clubhouses. Highly recommend you buy one and particularly look at size of greens. The greens are very long there -- some up to 50 or more yards -- and thus that back pin from the 150 yard marker is really often 170 yards away and that front pin only 130 so it is easy to over or under club unless you have the course book.

Have eaten breakfast at the Sand Trap and it was fine -- fairly large space for a golf course restaurant.

doubled07, as a fellow Texan, you made a good choice to golf in June. Rates are so low, expecially after 10:00am and like you said, we're used to the heat. DH says there's plenty of water on all the courses.

As far as the Sand Trap Bar and Grill is concerned, just be aware of one thing-as I was very surprised to learn when I called last month, they close about 3:00, at least they will when we're there. So you may not be able to plan to eat after you golf.

The Sand Trap used to make the best grilled cheese sandwich, but when we were there in January it was no longer on the menu. :-)< Other than that huge disappointment, it si a better than average restaurant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter