• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Going solo.....

disneycub

King of Hugs & Smoochies!
I have been planning my next trip to the World for months. I leave at the end of September, and come back I think around October 7th.

A friend was going to come with me. Now, at the 11th hour, he decides that he can't go (or won't go). I can refund his money without too much problem, but now I'm facing a week alone in a gorgeous AKL room, and no one to share the fun with. I can't really say that I'm too excited with the prospects of doing WDW alone.

Am I just too upset to think clearly? Or can a person really do WDW alone and still have a good time? I'm almost of a mind to cancel the whole thing and wait until Dis-Con, but I've been looking forward to this for so long.

Steve:
I am one person who believes you can go to WDW by yourself and have a ball! I did it. I did WDW solo twice. I stayed offsite during my first trip in 95, didn't expect to enjoy it very much but had such fun. Well, I didn't know the place yet. Everything was new. I returned with my family several time and then, last year, I did my BIG solo trip at Christmastime. 10 days on my own. My kids were staying with their dad away from my town, and I felt really low to spend my first Christmas after divorce on my own.
Well, I had a blast. First I stayed some nights at AsMu. It was neat. But things changed dramatically when I moved to a incredible, balcony room facing the Boardwalk, at the Dolphin! It was soooooooo relaxing! I strolled around BW a lot, talked to strangers, to CMs, to kids. I dined on the restaurants I always wanted to try, did backstage tours, got a spa day!
You have been waiting for this trip for so long! Now I believe your ribs deserve that holiday! Unless you are not feeling 100% OK. You deserve your beautiful room at AKL. And you know what? That is where I am staying (solo) after DisCon and after Disney Wonder cruise. Enjoy it!!!!

There is no doubt that you can do WDW solo and have a good time. I've been to Disney 20+ times and at least 15 of those times have been solo. It is great and I keep going back. Read all the great stories that people have to share here on this board. I think that you will find that most of the experiences related here are positive and the people would tell you to go for it and have a great time.

Here are two links that you might check out. See who else from this board will be at WDW the same time you are there. Contact them and see if you can meet up. Check out the Dining Central thread to where you might be able to make some plans with some other Adult or Solo Travelers to share some meals.

Adults and Solo Trips Central

** Link up for meals on our Dining Central threads

Steve:

I really enjoy my solo time at WDW and I think you can too. As Bob said, see about hooking up with other solo DIS'ers during your visit. If no one is going to be there, there are several of us locals who might be able to meet you for dinner or a few hours in one of the parks.

But go for it! You'll enjoy being able to do the things you want to do without worrying about anyone else being bored or whiney. I know there will also be times that you'll miss having a friend to share the magic with, but it wil still be fun.

Enjoy!

I think it may be too soon (people resist change and this is a change in plans) for you to think clearly. In some ways, although I love DH dearly, I prefer my solo trips. I'm always happy at WDW, but when I go with him, I'm so concerned about him having a good time, it takes a little away from my relaxation and enjoyment. When I go solo I only have myself to please, and I'm very easy to please at WDW! And I get to do the things that aren't too "appropriate" for a middle-aged school teacher without anyone saying anything-I can ride Dumbo, smile and wave on Cinderella's Carousel, next time I'm even going to go on Barnstormer! Can you enjoy yourself at WDW solo? You'll find out-you'll have a great time!

Steve,

Don't cancel your trip this month just because it will be a solo one. While it is fun having someone to share your excitement, it can be just as much fun by yourself. Book one of the behind the scenes tours. Leave the parks early and go to a movie. You won't feel obligated to go on It's a Small World because the person you're with hasn't ridden it. In short , do exactly what you want to do. AAnd ater what you've been through, you deserve to be pampered (and to pamper yourself) for a while.

Frank

Steve

I'm another of the solo travellers and have always had a great time at WDW. So will you.

Joe

Definitley go on your trip solo. WDW is a fantastic place for solo travelers. I enjoy my trips to WDW with my family and friends very much but I also love my solo trips. I always meet the nicest CMs who are very nice and talkative, I have great conversations with fellow guests, I love people watching, going on backstage tours and just being able to do what I want, when I want. Have a great trip!!

I'm another who loves solo trips - even more than my trips with friends or family :-)

On a solo trip you've got complete freedom to do whatever you want, without having to keep anyone else happy. If you miss having someone to talk to, strike up a conversation with anyone nearby - people at wdw tend to be much friendlier than when they are elsewhere.

Thanks for your kind words and encouragement, everyone. I made the decision tonight that no matter what, I'll be going. Sleeping in without worrying about where I have to be when sounds delightful. And going at my own pace sounds even better!

Great decision, Steve. I know that you will have a great time. I leave in just a few days so I'll get it warmed up for you!!

We expect to hear from you on your return. I imagine that you'll be one more of us that, in the future, will be convincing the next tentative solo traveler to go for it.

Good decision mate! I'll be over there about the same time, doing my own thing and making new friends

Joe

aw Steve I could easily join you no problem! hahaha any reason to go to disney is enough for me....I just got back sunday night. the parks were empty. we literally walked on about every ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter