Going on my first DC. I have a question

ladymommybear

Earning My Ears
Hi every one!
I'm new to this so if I am not doing this right don't hate me.
My Family and I will going on our first every DC this will be only the secound time I have every been to a disney theme park etc. But anyway to my ? I have a 4 year old little Boy and this is a BIG boat. do they allow strollers. I am sure he could walk but I would like to take a small one just in case. You know how small kids can be. We are going on the June 26-the 29th it is a 3 day. I wish it was longer. Any info you can give me would be great. I am intrested in anyone who had a child in the Oceaneer club. I am sure my son will love it. Can you give me any hints?
Thanks Alot
Ladymommybear

ladymommybear,
First off, WELCOME TO THE DIS!! :)

My littlest is 6! but I can tell you what I saw on a recent Wonder cruise. There were a few people with strollers, some umbrella, some full size. I'd say take one if you think your ds will tire out...although, it's not THAT big of a boat. You can get from one end to the other in less than 10 minutes. To me...that means either my kid would walk 10 minutes, or at least I won't have THAT long to carry him! :) If you do bring a stroller, I'd say the smaller the better as it sounds like he won't be needing it all the time.
The clubs, IMHO, are great! As long as your 4 yr old is potty trained he can go in the Oceaneer's Club. It's not just a "playroom" or a "daycare." They run activities and do things all over the ship. My son had a blast. I recommend taking your child there shortly after embarking to sign up. Let him play with some of the things, introduce him to a few counsellors. Be ready to have him spend 15 hours a day there, if he chooses, but also be ready for him to want to stay with you. Our ds loved the clubs when he was there, but also wanted to spend time with us. This put a "damper" on us doing the adult activites we had hoped to do (80's night, dueling pianos, etc) but, after all, this was a family vacation, so we had to roll with his preferences too. On the other hand, dd (8) spent nearly 15 hours a day in the Oceaneer's Lab! :)
HTH!

Welcome to the DIS Ladymommybear! This is the place to get your questions answered! I'm sure folks will let you know about the Oceaneer Club (no first-hand knowledge from me). I know that I've seen strollers onboard - I would think that an umbrella-style would be fine. You won't be doing nearly as much walking as in a Disney park though. (It is a BIG ship - you just don't end up walking the whole thing at once ;)

Yes, strollers are allowed. We recently returned from May 17 Eastern. My 3 yo DS didn't need one (but definitely does for the parks). I would say the smaller the better. I noticed parents having problems fitting the big ones into the crowded elevators.

Welcome to the DIS Ladymommabear! I am taking DS5 on his first 3 day next week so be watching for my trip report. I will let you know how he likes it.

As far as strollers- I don't know. We aren't taking one for the FIRST time this year to WDW and we are looking forward to it! But I Know what you mean - my son is VERY hyperactive. It has always been easier just to strap him him than to worry about him pulling away from me. I would suggest just taking an umbrella stroller. You can get them cheap at Wal-Mart as you probably already know.

Angie

Last year my DD3 needed a stroller at the parks, but definitely did not want one on the ship. However, if you are only going on a cruise and don't want to lug around a stroller, you can also check one out for the duration of the cruise from Guest Services once you are aboard.

DD absolutely loved the clubs - she ate dinner with us once on our 4-night and the rest of the time informed us she wanted to eat with her friends. We kept her with us at times during the day to swim, go to the beach, etc., and once for a forced nap to get her personality back in check from the overload of activities, but the rest of the time she was attached to the club and her new friends like glue!

You'll love it! When are you going and on what itinerary?

Oh...and it looks like my 3yo DS was the only one who freaked any time we went near the Oceaneer's Club. He would NOT stay in there. We even tried going and staying with him for a while... didn't work. My 9yo DS LOVED the lab and would come "home" (to the cabin) later than us!!

Our itinerary is ......
Thu. June 26 Port canaveral
Fri Nassau
Sat Castaway Cay and back to Port on Sunday :(

So we have only 24 more days to go.
The first and last time I was at the Magic kingdom my son was only 5 months old. And he still had a great time. He loved Winnie the pooh. Now it is Captin Hook.:Pinkbounc

We had two umbrella strollers on the cruise for our 17-month-old and 3-year-old. I expected to use them on the ship, but we ended up needing them only on the islands. I was quite thankful we hadn't brought any full size strollers, then, because they would've taken so much more room to stow all week!

There are full size strollers available at Guest Services once you're onboard. I think they're first come first serve.

Enjoy!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter