Go Pro on Race Route

GPoppins

90+ Trips to WDW & Counting!
Does anyone have any experience with recording the race route using a GoPro or an iPhone? Any gear that makes it fairly easy to record while walking? I'll be participating in the Princess 5K and would like to give my family an idea of what the route looked like for me! Thanks!

I've done it a couple times. I did it for the 2015 Dopey and 2015 Dumbo Dare Weekends. I used the head strap both times.

For me, the nice part was not having to worry about holding the camera while I was running. When I watch the footage on my computer/iPad, it gives you a good eye-level view of what running the race is like. Plus, when I go on the treadmill when the weather isn't ideal, it's something fun to watch and feel like you're running the race again.

However, there are some downsides that I encountered. One is that having the GoPro on your head while running is somewhat awkward and can feel like you've got a little extra weight on top of your head. Another thing is that the battery on them is OK. For both 10k's, I was able to record the whole running of the course, but I bought a better battery compared to the one that normally comes with the GoPro. (Just do a search on Amazon for GoPro batteries...) The amount of recording that I got with the battery was no more than 90 minutes.

Also, with having the GoPro attached on my head, the footage can be a little bumpy. If you going at a nice easy running pace, I don't think the shaking would be that bad. When I did the Disneyland 10k, I ran between a 8:00 to 8:15 per mile pace (not trying to brag or anything...) and it was a somewhat bumpy. But I was able to use some software to stabilize the video that makes it a little easier to watch.

I'm actually in the process of putting together the Disneyland 10K race footage and uploading it to YouTube sometime this week. When I'm finish, I'll try posting a link of what the footage looked like.

Good luck next month with your 5K.

Does anyone have any experience with recording the race route using a GoPro or an iPhone? Any gear that makes it fairly easy to record while walking? I'll be participating in the Princess 5K and would like to give my family an idea of what the route looked like for me! Thanks!

What pace are you running. I have a chesty (its a special strap for a go-pro that I've used. I wouldn't wear it for a half but it would be comfortable for a 5k. I'd be concerned that the camera would be too low. I think the go-pro visor would work well. I've also used my iphone and just hand held it and shot time lapse video. That's the least stable way of doing things.

Thank you, DIS friends for the responses. I really appreciate your time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!