Go now or wait?

Au contraire! I say that the roadtrip is half the fun!

Definitely, lol. We actually really enjoyed the drive down! It was new, we'd never driven that way before and we were all very impressed with the sights. Plus we stopped and toured the Shenandoah Caverns. We also made it a point to choose hotels that had pools, so we could all relax and unwind from the day's drive. We also took a soccer ball with us, and when we'd stop at rest stops we'd normally get out and kick the ball around for a bit to stretch our legs. We had so much fun and so many laughs. It was the drive home that was harder, and even the first part wasn't too bad, but the last two days were harder. The second day on the way home we took a different route than we'd taken on the way down - NEVER again. It was HORRIBLE traffic. The last day was hard just because we were all tired, and we were so close, yet so far away (if that makes sense). The drive through Maine on the highway is HARD because it is bland and boring as all heck - nothing to see but trees, trees and more trees. In a way, I think a shorter trip would be easier when it comes to going home, because I don't think we'd be quite as tired heading home, since we wouldn't have been away from home as long. We've also talked about the possibility of DH driving home while I fly home with the kids. But not sure how I feel about that.

DH is a teacher so is off, paid all summer, and I'm a SAHM/freelance writer, so I can work from anywhere, so... that end of it doesn't really end up being a factor, unfortunately, lol. I think that if I really pushed him to fly, he would, but, I also know that flying would be stressful for him, and that Disney isn't is first choice of a vacation anyways. Even though he's definitely willing to go back, it's still not his top pick. So, I don't mind compromising with him on this. Part of it is he's a bit afraid to fly, but I think also, as he's gotten older, he's much more prone to motion sickness, which runs in the family quite badly. His brother gets so violently ill flying (even taking meds) that on two occasions he has ended up in ER on IV, so I think he's afraid of getting sick and feeling rotten and basically ruining vacation for us. Disney may not be his top pick, but he still wouldn't want to miss seeing the kids enjoyment for anything. Plus, there's the money factor. Flying is just much more expensive for us, so in the scenario of this summer, the added expense of flying would mean we just don't go. So I figure that driving to Disney is better than no Disney!

How old are the kids? Could some other destination that DH would prefer anyway work better for a family trip in 2016?

How old are the kids? Could some other destination that DH would prefer anyway work better for a family trip in 2016?

Kids would be 9 & 6. Originally, we planned to go to New Hampshire this (2016) summer, but with the current exchange, even just to go to just New Hampshire for 5 nights will be $2000+ (CDN), and we can do 6 days in Disney, including the drive there/back/spending $, for $3500 CDN. DH said if we're going to spend $2000+ for a vacation, and drive 1/3 of the way there anyways, he'd rather just go to Disney, as would I honestly. So, if we don't go, we'll likely just do a couple long weekend trips closer to home in Nova Scotia or PEI. I'm still crossing my fingers that the wedding isn't rescheduled and we can just do 2017 as planned.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter