Gluten free holiday treats?

stout

Mouseketeer
We are arriving at DLH tomorrow. Where can we get gluten free Christmas-type treats? We will be at DL on Friday.

Sigh. Good luck.

I'm Celiac and there is pretty much nothing as far as 'fresh' treats that are safely GF, if you're meaning things you'd get from the bakery case. You can get pre-packaged things, but as far as bakery case items, pretty much nothing. Even things that 'read' GF are often X-contaminated due to being 'dipped' in common pots with cookies, cake pops, etc or baked on common trays or flour dusted pans. I always ask (each and every time, sigh) about common pots, etc and you should too, but if you have Celiac I just don't feel it's worth the risk of ruining a trip by taking a chance that that dipped Tigger Tail or caramel apple hasn't been contaminated. And I DO email Dietary after each and every trip to decry the lack of 'fresh' GF goodies.

On the other hand, I've had some wonderful GF meals at DL, including some desserts.

This thread contains info about staying GF at DL, with some recommendations as far as restaurants etc. Best read back to front so you get the latest info first. If you happen to find some treats or have any recommendations, it'd be great if you'd post them in the thread.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/gluten-free-dining-at-the-disneyland-resort-a-superthread.3003289/

If you are celiac I wouldn't risk lots of them due to potential cross contamination as previous poster said. If you are just gluten free by choice, then lots of items are going to be fine.

Well, we just finished our quick trip. The experience and rides were fun. Napa Rose on Thursday night was fantastic, but the rest of the quick service food was horrible. Only ate packaged snacks.

One particularly notable food encounter…Rancho del Zocalo Restaurante. We walked up and ordered on Friday night, as mobile order was down. I told her we needed 4 “gluten-friendly” meals (using the terminology Disney uses) as two in the family are celiac and 2 are intolerant. I told her we would take the adult plate street tacos or the kids meals, whichever was easier for her to prepare, and showed her the three options listed on the online menu for “gluten-friendly”. She prepared the meals in a separate area, handed me four kids chicken tacos and rice. I smelled one of the plates, and it smelled “off” to me…I asked her what type of tortillas she used…she said “wheat, because they are gluten-friendly.” I was taken aback…handed her the plates, asked her to use corn tortillas, and then watched her struggle not to cross contaminate with the utensils and food. It was horrible…my 10 year old daughter was so concerned about being glutened that she barely ate anything and we had to leave the park early because she was making herself ill with worry. Disney normally does it so well, but this was an epic fail. I wish I knew who to report this to at Disney.

Well, we just finished our quick trip. The experience and rides were fun. Napa Rose on Thursday night was fantastic, but the rest of the quick service food was horrible. Only ate packaged snacks.

One particularly notable food encounter…Rancho del Zocalo Restaurante. We walked up and ordered on Friday night, as mobile order was down. I told her we needed 4 “gluten-friendly” meals (using the terminology Disney uses) as two in the family are celiac and 2 are intolerant. I told her we would take the adult plate street tacos or the kids meals, whichever was easier for her to prepare, and showed her the three options listed on the online menu for “gluten-friendly”. She prepared the meals in a separate area, handed me four kids chicken tacos and rice. I smelled one of the plates, and it smelled “off” to me…I asked her what type of tortillas she used…she said “wheat, because they are gluten-friendly.” I was taken aback…handed her the plates, asked her to use corn tortillas, and then watched her struggle not to cross contaminate with the utensils and food. It was horrible…my 10 year old daughter was so concerned about being glutened that she barely ate anything and we had to leave the park early because she was making herself ill with worry. Disney normally does it so well, but this was an epic fail. I wish I knew who to report this to at Disney.

I'm so sorry, man that sucks. I'm so glad you trusted your nose!! At least you didn't have the experience I had once (not at Disney) where I watched the kitchen staff take the 'innards' out of my sammie and flop them on a GF bun then squirt more sauce on it!! We walked out.

You may want to copy/paste your post on the Gluten Free super thread so that others will know go 'go carefully' at Rancho.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/gluten-free-dining-at-the-disneyland-resort-a-superthread.3003289/

I haven't tried to contact DL in awhile, but this is what I have. I've found the special diets dept very responsive in the past:

Email: Special.Diets@Disneyland.com

Or call Disneyland direct; ‭1 (714) 781-4636‬

Interestingly enough, I guess 'officially' there isn't a 'guest services' email. I know I've seen one posted here on the boards somewhere, maybe someone will see this and post it.

OMG. I get why people who don't understand gluten sources may not realize things like shared fryers and standard 'soy' sauce are issues, but I'm baffled that people in food service would not know that gluten-free has to be wheat-free. We try to be really patient with the folks who equate all carbs with gluten and think things like rice are off-limits. But what did that CM think gluten-free meant? what was she thinking she needed to not use? and so then she glutened the entire separate prep area! Horrible!! I hope she cleaned that area up. Ugh. Please please do email, b/c Disney used to really pride itself on allergy-friendly foods, and clearly some really basic training disappeared.

We've eaten there multiple times and DH (who has celiac) has been fine, but that was pre-covid. I have one table service res per day for our Dec trip and think he'll probably just bring protein bars and fruit otherwise; he'd be like your 10yo and perpetually worried. I also told him it's probably smart to go back to saying he has a wheat allergy, if people are that confused about gluten still.

OMG. I get why people who don't understand gluten sources may not realize things like shared fryers and standard 'soy' sauce are issues, but I'm baffled that people in food service would not know that gluten-free has to be wheat-free. We try to be really patient with the folks who equate all carbs with gluten and think things like rice are off-limits. But what did that CM think gluten-free meant? what was she thinking she needed to not use? and so then she glutened the entire separate prep area! Horrible!! I hope she cleaned that area up. Ugh. Please please do email, b/c Disney used to really pride itself on allergy-friendly foods, and clearly some really basic training disappeared.

We've eaten there multiple times and DH (who has celiac) has been fine, but that was pre-covid. I have one table service res per day for our Dec trip and think he'll probably just bring protein bars and fruit otherwise; he'd be like your 10yo and perpetually worried. I also told him it's probably smart to go back to saying he has a wheat allergy, if people are that confused about gluten still.

I'll be honest , if you asked half my workplace what gluten is..they may not know and assume all carbs. It is a phrase people know but don't understand I feel.
I can't speak for current Safe Serv certification requirements but hope they include allergens as part of it as in California you're required to have it done for any food service position.

Part of the issue can be multi faceted including the fact that things are labeled so much now , even things that would never have gluten in them , like say potatoes say gluten free on the bag in some stores and I am not kidding. Another problem can be that some who are gluten free by choice versus necessity like Celiac are often lumped together which is absolutely not the same. In my experiences working at restaurants I always advise make sure you say "allergy" , because that should instantly kick responses and handling into that special handling mode. Because gluten free is used so commonly now , it can unfortunately cause some level of complacency. Add in a busy cafeteria style setting , possible language barriers , poor/too little training and it can become very serious quickly.

Do definitely email about your experiences but also I recommend asking for the chef directly at ANY eating establishment so you speak to someone at the "top" of the line , front and center so they may be able to facilities it or at least monitor it closely.

Lordy, I've had people's idea of 'gluten' run the gamut from very informed and 'on it' to "That's not gluten free, it has milk in it". Also "Oh, you can just eat the filling and avoid the crust" aka "Eat around it". And who hasn't heard "Just a little taste won't kill you".

It's why we have to be our own advocates and be unafraid to ask questions and then unafraid to question the answers! I don't expect the world to cater for my needs, but I do expect them to get it right if they choose to do so!

By and large I still trust Disney and have never been glutened there. But stout's experience shows that we just can't take anything for granted, even at Disney, and that we need to either speak to a chef/kitchen manager or closely question the order taker/cashier.

I'll be honest , if you asked half my workplace what gluten is..they may not know and assume all carbs. It is a phrase people know but don't understand I feel.
I can't speak for current Safe Serv certification requirements but hope they include allergens as part of it as in California you're required to have it done for any food service position.

Part of the issue can be multi faceted including the fact that things are labeled so much now , even things that would never have gluten in them , like say potatoes say gluten free on the bag in some stores and I am not kidding. Another problem can be that some who are gluten free by choice versus necessity like Celiac are often lumped together which is absolutely not the same. In my experiences working at restaurants I always advise make sure you say "allergy" , because that should instantly kick responses and handling into that special handling mode. Because gluten free is used so commonly now , it can unfortunately cause some level of complacency. Add in a busy cafeteria style setting , possible language barriers , poor/too little training and it can become very serious quickly.

Do definitely email about your experiences but also I recommend asking for the chef directly at ANY eating establishment so you speak to someone at the "top" of the line , front and center so they may be able to facilities it or at least monitor it closely.
Oh for sure, many many people do not understand gluten, but I guess I assumed that Disney food service employees get some kind of training to at least have basic level knowledge? That is my biggest issue - if someone works in food service at Disney, at a site that advertises allergy-friendly options, how could they not train them to a) get a chef/cook to talk to you before the order is placed (which is how it used to be done) or b) knowledgeably prep allergy-friendly orders? DH was diagnosed with celiac over 13 years ago, and we've had multiple trips to DL, WDW, Aulani, DCL... always had great luck after some basic advance research and knowing to speak up and talk to chefs. I just hate to hear stories like this.

Side note: I really dislike mobile ordering, b/c it removes the chance to chat with the chef/head cook upfront about your order. (Hence planning on table service plus bringing snacks.)

P.S. I actually do like that frozen potato products are labeled now LOL. Ridiculous if you meant like raw potatoes in the produce section, but frozen stuff used to be complicated to find without wheat warnings - coatings (on fries), binding agents (tots, hashbrown products), shared equipment.

Oh for sure, many many people do not understand gluten, but I guess I assumed that Disney food service employees get some kind of training to at least have basic level knowledge? That is my biggest issue - if someone works in food service at Disney, at a site that advertises allergy-friendly options, how could they not train them to a) get a chef/cook to talk to you before the order is placed (which is how it used to be done) or b) knowledgeably prep allergy-friendly orders? DH was diagnosed with celiac over 13 years ago, and we've had multiple trips to DL, WDW, Aulani, DCL... always had great luck after some basic advance research and knowing to speak up and talk to chefs. I just hate to hear stories like this.

Side note: I really dislike mobile ordering, b/c it removes the chance to chat with the chef/head cook upfront about your order. (Hence planning on table service plus bringing snacks.)

P.S. I actually do like that frozen potato products are labeled now LOL. Ridiculous if you meant like raw potatoes in the produce section, but frozen stuff used to be complicated to find without wheat warnings - coatings (on fries), binding agents (tots, hashbrown products), shared equipment.

Oh absolutely I agree with you about front facing being knowledgeable and trained. I am definitely NOT making excuses for what happened and thankful the guest was diligent about it even if they shouldn't have had to be.
I do think they could have an allergy free area to order , given how often I hear in line about guests ordering something allergy friendly or asking about it , or at minimum have a CM available to answer said questions when handing out menus.
Myself being in customer service and food handling for 20 years , if I saw or handed an allergy free menu to someone I would myself , if allowed , go seek out the chef to alert them we have guests who need options. Obviously I am not a DLR CM and that may be outside the scope but as things evolve it could happen.
I am truly saddened that happened as well.

If I had any allergies , I would absolutely never mobile order even if it was listed as "allergen xyz friendly" because of that inability to discuss beforehand. I am extremely fortunate in that way and admit I abuse mobile ordering because of it.
Thankfully it's only really hardcore pushed at a few spots like Dole Whip stand at the Tiki Room and Tropical Hideaway doesn't do mobile so that helps.

That makes sense on perpared foods because there are hidden things. I do keto mostly and hidden sugars are insane , so I can't even imagine gluten.
I've even seen at whole foods milk , boxed water and random stuff marked gluten free. Yes the potatoes were fresh and said that lol. Better safe than sorry I guess ? But think that's part of the reason some aren't understanding WHAT gluten is.

I have a crazy update. I sent an email back in November to the special diets address above, explained the situation, asked them to consider more training for the cast members in that restaurant regarding food allergies, and gave my phone number if they wanted to contact me (I did NOT provide my address to them). I never heard back, which I wrote off because, again, Disney usually does so well with food allergies (and it hasn’t deterred us from other Disney vacations)….

Then today…I receive in the mail and huge packet from Disneyland “Guest Claims” asking me to fill out release of medical information authorizations and provide proof of park tickets and my receipt for that restaurant. What?!?! Why?!?! I just wanted to raise the issue so someone could internally address it! The packet went right into recycling, but I am actually pretty steamed right now that they didn’t just email or call me and say “I’m sorry for your experience, thank you for letting us know.” Geez!!!

Interesting. My assumption is that they wanted to offer you some type of compensation but wanted proof of your experience, but IMHO if it was that I doubt they'd require much other than proof that you were actually at DL when you said you were. I think it more likely they thought you were either looking for a large 'payout' or contemplating a lawsuit and they're trying to put you off by demanding extensive 'proof' in the hopes that you'll drop it. Obviously, that's NOT what you wanted.

I'd say the latter is more likely than the former. And that for some reason your email went to some overzealous (or paranoid) CM who kicked it up to Legal. People these days can be very litigious and Disney has deep pockets. And I think they've seen a huge uptick in lawsuits what with dissatisfaction with MK, reservations, etc. And who knows how many "DL made me sick" demands they get. It's very common for companies to try to 'bury' a potential litigant in paperwork in hopes of discouraging them.

Was there a phone number for this 'Guest Claims'? I think I'd be tempted to call and find out what the heck they're playing at.

I have a crazy update. I sent an email back in November to the special diets address above, explained the situation, asked them to consider more training for the cast members in that restaurant regarding food allergies, and gave my phone number if they wanted to contact me (I did NOT provide my address to them). I never heard back, which I wrote off because, again, Disney usually does so well with food allergies (and it hasn’t deterred us from other Disney vacations)….

Then today…I receive in the mail and huge packet from Disneyland “Guest Claims” asking me to fill out release of medical information authorizations and provide proof of park tickets and my receipt for that restaurant. What?!?! Why?!?! I just wanted to raise the issue so someone could internally address it! The packet went right into recycling, but I am actually pretty steamed right now that they didn’t just email or call me and say “I’m sorry for your experience, thank you for letting us know.” Geez!!!
So odd!!! I mean, come on, they could not otherwise verify that you had park tickets and dated reservations?? I know Disney IT is bad, but literally everything Disney related (for travel, shopping, Disney+) is tied to the same Disney account. I'm not sure I would ever on purpose save my reservation emails for 5 months (on accident, possibly LOL), but they must have some database record of all that stuff.

The release of medication information auths is extra weird; sounds like they are prepping for a lawsuit you never threatened. I think it was totally reasonable to report your experience, and especially for a company that connnnnstantly asks for our feedback - it's a very strange response to your reasonable feedback. It makes me less inclined to fill out the various nonsensical surveys, knowing they are not really interested in honest feedback.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter