Gluten Free at Trail's End?

rideswithchrist

DIS Veteran
So... I might still be gluten free by the time we hit our trip in February. If we eat at TE, does anyone know what gluten free options there are? I know in parks, we have loads of options...but we wanted to give the buffet a try.

It will be 6 more months before we are there- I'm hoping it is all back to "normal"...
But I love Family Style anyway!

I think the last 18 months have shown that "normal" is a moving target.
With all the changes at Disney its likely that any info you get now will be obsolete by the time of your trip. We travel occasionally with someone who requires gluten free and Disney has always had multiple options for her.

We were at the Ft in May. Had BBQ ribs, mashed 'taters, & cornbread (all GF) from P&J's which I understand is the same kitchen as TE.

I've been GF for close to 20 years now (Celiac). Been to WDW 3 times and to DL numerous times since I was diagnosed. Never been glutened at either place. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I'll be happy to help if I can.

PS Go to the Regal Eagle in World Showcase if you get a chance, it was great! And no worries about being GF at WDW, they are 2nd to none at accommodating allergies.

PPS there's a 'Gluten free at the Disneyland Resort' superthread on the DL side of the forums if you're contemplating a trip to 'Walt's Park'. I've never run across one for WDW.

We were at the Ft in May. Had BBQ ribs, mashed 'taters, & cornbread (all GF) from P&J's which I understand is the same kitchen as TE.

I've been GF for close to 20 years now (Celiac). Been to WDW 3 times and to DL numerous times since I was diagnosed. Never been glutened at either place. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I'll be happy to help if I can.

PS Go to the Regal Eagle in World Showcase if you get a chance, it was great! And no worries about being GF at WDW, they are 2nd to none at accommodating allergies.

PPS there's a 'Gluten free at the Disneyland Resort' superthread on the DL side of the forums if you're contemplating a trip to 'Walt's Park'. I've never run across one for WDW.
That is good, those are all the things I loved anyway :) I wondered about GF options for desserts. I'm not celiac but gluten seems to be hard for my body right now. I think Disney Food Blog has a GF post that I can search though. We are eating at Satuli and bringing in food so I think I'll be fine- any suggestions for GF bread that does not get soggy?

That is good, those are all the things I loved anyway :) I wondered about GF options for desserts. I'm not celiac but gluten seems to be hard for my body right now. I think Disney Food Blog has a GF post that I can search though. We are eating at Satuli and bringing in food so I think I'll be fine- any suggestions for GF bread that does not get soggy?

As far as I'm concerned Udi's bread (bagels & buns too) is the best, bar none. Many GF breads are really dry or crumbly so not good unless they're toasted and they make lousy sandwiches. Udi's is good toasted or 'raw'. In fact, I think that's the GF brand that Disney Parks uses for a lot of their eateries. I haven't noticed that it gets soggy when I make a sandwich, but I tend to like just a wee bit of mustard or mayo on my sandwiches if that makes a difference.

As far as WDW, some (not all) of the eateries have their allergy menu online, usually at the bottom of the 'regular' menu. I also had luck Googling '<eatery name> allergy menu' and looking for recent reviews or selecting 'images'. Some were recent, some were older.

This is also a good link:

https://www.glutenfreedairyfreewdw.com/menus
Satu'li's allergy menu is online. I had the grilled beef bowl. I don't remember for sure the sauce I had, I think it was some kind of herb dressing. It was filling and tasted good.

Desserts. Well, um, yeah. Not so much. There is a ubiquitous gf brownie and choc chip cookie that's offered just about everywhere, but that gets old. I can't remember the brand, maybe Enjoy Life? And a lot of places have some type of ice cream. But as far as scrumptious desserts, they're few and far between. If you haven't been dx'd Celiac you may be able to get away with a bit more than I can if your body can handle a 'little bit' of gluten. There are things that they offer in the shops where the issue is more cross-contamination than gluten ingredients. Tigger Tails & other dipped things may 'read' GF, but they're dipped in a common pot with cookies and such. That's a no go for a Celiac. When in doubt, ask. They have ingredient books at all the bakeries & shops that have 'goodies' in cases. While I'm on the subject, the same goes for fries. If you want to be 'really' GF, they need to be fried in a separate fryer. And not all places have a separate fryer, so be sure to ask.

Erin McKenna's in Disney Springs is an allergen friendly bakery and she has TONS of GF options.

I'm trying to remember where I actually had GF 'real' desserts. I remember Prime Time Cafe had a good GF brownie s'more sundae and BOG was doing a GF 'grey stuff' dessert in 2019. This year I had the Panna Cotta at the Skipper Canteen, it was delish. But the lack of 'real' GF desserts is the one big shortcoming in WDW (and DL) dining for people who have to be GF.

You'll be fine, WDW is really great at GF (apart from desserts) and just about everywhere will have something your enjoy. I'm a picky eater and I've always been happy with the food I've ordered.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info @StormyCA that gives me a better idea of what to expect!
I don't have to be as careful as a celiac- I just can't seem to handle too much...which can be pizza and a sandwich twice in a week and my hands get stiff. I guess right now, I am more "gluten light" than fully gluten free- partly because so many GF items are just filled with crap. I love Cassava tortillas though, but they are only good cooked and eaten fresh. I think last time at Satu'li I had their potato hash thing. It was SO good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter