Gktw???

We didn't know about the photos until near the end of our trip. I am sure things may have changed but last month a CM at the photo pickup in Toon Town asked if we were a wish family. I told him no. He said I just wanted to make sure I gave you your free picture if you were.

The reason I said mention you have a wish child is because I have heard that some of the restaurants will do special things for them. We didn't know anything about PS when our dd#1 went on her wish trip so I don't know about it first hand. We just happened to be able to get into Donald's Breakfasarus the morning we were there.

I think the PS arrangements you have will be fine. Maybe if Ohana's is late enough they will put ya'll by the window so that ya'll can see the fireworks at the MK while ya'll are eating. I know that Chef Mickey's, Donald Breakfasarus and Hoop De Do Revue do family photos before you eat. I am not sure about any other places right off.

Make sure when you have a family photo taken that you ask the CM to take a picture using your own camera too. Those are always nice pictures to have even if you do get the ones they took too.

We ate lunch in the parks but usually had a late lunch. We went in October and even though the park closed earlier we very seldom made it back to GKTW in time for dinner. You have a full kitchen at GKTW so that if you want to make something in your room you could. We did make it back in time to have ice cream. They used to make a orange float that was delicious. I think they recently stopped making those. We usually try to go by there anytime we go to Disney. Our daughter has a paver with her name on it there. Oh and we usually took snacks with us to the park too.

We are waiting to hear from MAW as to the dates that we will be going.

Thanks again for all the info.

I was thinking of making a couple more PS... one at Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare (for dinner), and some other place...can't think of what it is at this time. I just really don't want to spend tons of $$$ and a lot of time at sit down meals....But the charator meals are lots of fun. I was thinking of doing the 1900 Park fare for our last meal on Friday night.

As for the fireworks...I am hoping they do all that....I just didn't know with it being after Labor day...how late the park would be open and if they'd do all the shows and fireworks. I looked on the Dis boards at the park hours...they are guessing the parks will close between 5pm--6pm...and epcot staying open until 9pm.

I have thought of asking the CM to take photos of our family at the photo ops...but I just wasn't sure if it was alright...I'll have to just ask this time around.

Well thanks again.

Personally I wouldn't do all those meals. One reason is because that is going to be a lot of money to spend. If you have it then I would say go for it. You will be spending lots of time at meals and missing out on other things you might enjoy more. The interaction between the characters, CMs and wish families in the parks is amazing. At least it was when we were there. I hope ya'll have a wonderful time!

I agree about Chef Mickey. It was one of the best interactions we ever had with the characters. We try to do it for each of our birthdays if we can. We have done breakfast and dinner and enjoyed both.

We haven't done 1900 Park Fare so I can't give you any advice on that one. We tried to get PS there for our trip last week but we couldn't get in. Instead I got PS at GF Cafe just so I could surprise DH and our dds with Cinderella's slipper for dessert. When we walked by 1900 it seemed very nice. We have a friend that is a fur character there sometimes and she likes it there.

Whispering Canyon we enjoyed but for the money I would choose Chef Mickey for the characters. The food at Whispering Canyon was good. Two of our dds are in wheelchairs and they were not able to join in the festivities at WC. We tried a couple of times but it was quite crowded and not enough room for their wheelchairs to go around the room. Your dds will probably really enjoy it though.

Ohana's we really did enjoy. Our two older dds were not able to join in the fun with the hoola hoops and coconut races. Our younger DD enjoyed it.

Did anyone mention why the parks or the MK would close between 5-6 on Labor Day. I don't remember that happening last year. I could be wrong though. We were there later in month of September and the hours were a good bit later than that. I would think Labor Day they would be open later.

Well I haven't been able to find any one how could/would tell may any park hours at this date...but on the Dis board they have a "park hours' page where they base it off what they say are last years hours for the same time of year. So that's where I got the hours from...I also thought it was early...being that the hours for the end of August are 8:30. I am just guessing, but on Labor day I would think the park would be open a little longer....it's just the rest of the week that I'm really wondering about. I try to call Disney and ask the park hours...but no one was able to tell me for sure...I was thinking about calling for PS and asking for the latest seating time...thay may give me an idea of how late the park is open...I mean I wouldn't think they'd let you set a time for PS(in the park) at 9pm if the park closed at 6pm.

I have been going back and forth on the PS thing and trying to decided if we wanted an more or not. I think I just needed to hear it from some one else...so thank you....I don't think I'll worry about PS any more....Well maybe I'll try for the 1900 park fare or Chef Mickey dinner for our last night but that's it. Like I mentioned before I don't want to spend so much $$$ and time sitting at dinners...But that glass slipper thing sounds so good, and so cute. I just read tonight that you can get them at the 1900 park fare dinner...if ordered ahead.

On your first day at GKTW what was it like...what did you and your family do? We are not getting into Orlando until around 6pm...I figure by the time we gather our luggage, get our car and head out of the airport and get to GKTW it may be fairly late...(I want to make a stop at the outlet store prior to checking into GKTW).

One other question....someone told me that they stock your fridge with snacks at GKTW...do they really?

I'm excited to go the the Whispering Canyon...I think my oldest daughter will LOVE it. The other meals (aka princess meals) are for our youngest daughter...who calls herself princess Sydney at times. LOL...I am wishing we would have mixed the CM meals up some...and not done all princess....but that is what she is totally into so...that's what were going for.

I've been trying to get Sydney to watch some of the regular/non princess movies lately...but she's just not into them...all she wants is princesses.

Well thanks again for all your info. It is helping sooo much. :wave:

I thought I remembered our refrigerator being stocked with snacks. I couldn't remember if that was right or not. That's where we go some of our snacks to take to the parks. If I remember right if you have any special dietary needs they will take care of those in your room. Of course they will provide in type of speciality food you need for the meals there too.

I was thinking that the ice cream social at the Garden Grill at Epcot might be something fun. It's not expensive. It's doesn't take up a lot of time but gives you some good interaction with the characters. Since Sydney is into the princesses more you might not even want to try it since it's the other characters.

I was looking at the ice cream social...thinking it would be fun...and who dosen't like ice cream...so anyway I think it would be good.:D We wouldn't need PS for that would we?

Do you know how we go about contacting GKTW for our dietary needs? I've talked with our wish coordinatior about our needs...and the only thing she had to say to us is...There is a Wal-mart near by so we can buy what we need. After she told us that...we decided to have what we need shipped to GKTW prior to our arrival. :rolleyes:

How did you handle lunch? Did GKTW provied "sack lunches" to take..or are you able to get sandwhiches to pack? I'm thinking of trying the Earl of Sandwhiches in DTD some night...to pack for lunch the next day....but it's just an idea/thought.
:wave2:

Hi, I'm going on my wish trip next month for the Land/Sea vacation, but since I live in Canada, this is being done through the Children's Wish Foundation (a national/Canadian organization).

I'm not sure if this place is well-known or not, and we aren't staying at the GKTW place, but at a Disney resort. I also have limited mobility (crutches, long leg brace, wheelchair for long distances) and all our wish coordinator told us was to go to Guest Services in the park the first day to get a special pass... from reading these boards I know that it's the Guest Assistance Card she is referring to. But since we don't have a wish pin or anything like that, would we still be able to get front of the line access for rides/attractions, or if waiting for a character, be able to meet him/her with a shorter time? And, also, about the free photo, does this apply for WISH families from other wish-granting organizations, such as this Canadian one? For all of these above questions, since we don't have a special pin, perhaps only the GAC (which they MIGHT NOT give us right), how would they "see" us and know we're a wish family to help us to the near front of lines, better seating, etc?

Please help!

Also, just to note, even though this is my wish trip, due to medical reasons, my trip could only be this summer and I turned 18 several months ago. Does my age, although I may not look like it, affect any of these special things for wish families?

scrapperjill, if I remember correctly GKTW gave our wish coordinator a form for us to fill out or either they asked if we needed special equipment, dietary needs and so forth. Our dd#1 whose wish it was at the time has to have oxygen with her in case she needs it. We were not allowed to carry our own on the plane so GKTW had it waiting for us when we got there along with a pulse oxygen monitor that she uses nightly. They also had milk along with nutritional powder for her as she drinks from a bottle for the majority of her nutrition. I do remember this taking place very close to us leaving for our trip. Not much of any of that was done way ahead of time. If your wish coordinator doesn't mention it maybe just ask her if there is a way you can contact GKTW. I know they have an email address posted on their website so you may can contact them that way and tell them when you are coming and what you are wondering about.

When are ya'll going? I think if you know which day you will be at Epcot I would make PS for the ice cream social. It would be better to have them just to be on the safe side. If you have them and decide not to do it you can always cancel them.

We always ate at the Gingerbread House at GKTW. There was often muffins or something you could take for a snack later. We would have a late lunch in the park if we were doing a sit down meal or we would get a snack early on and then have a big sit down meal at night in the park. Like I said earlier we tried to make it back to GKTW in time for supper but never wanted to leave the parks before they closed so that never worked. We always got an ice cream when we got back to GKTW.

AngelStar, check with your wish coordinator to see if they have pins for you to wear that say Children's Wish Foundation. I am sure if you tell guest services that you are on your wish trip with Children's Wish Foundation they will stamp your GAC so that you can have access to the front of the lines. The CMs are trained to see the GKTW pins so that really helps a lot. Since you are not staying there I think that it would help if you had a pin from Children's Wish Foundation if it's available. If it's not I am sure it will be fine if you don't. Your age will not matter I wouldn't think. I hope that you have a wonderful time!!!

^ Thanks for your reply. :)

It doesn't seem like there is a pin available from Children's Wish, and I am sure CMs can recognize a pin more easily then a GAC that has special instructions on it.

What would the instructions be on the GAC if I couldn't get a pin? And also, how would I go about having it seen by the staff, whether at shows/rides/attractions, or even the photo place?

Any ideas? I feel really uncomfortable going past the line to the CM and showing them the GAC, unless that's what we're supposed to do... not sure.

Angelstar, do you have a letter from Children's Wish granted your wish from them? If so I would take that to guest assistance so they know how to do your GAC. You don't have to pass the line to get to a CM. Their is usually always a CM at the entrance to each line. We always have our GACs out. Even though our daughters are in wheelchairs it's good to have them handy. You just show the CM at the shows, rides or wherever your GAC.

Good questions..angelstar. I was wondering the same things. I really don't want to take advantage of the GAC card or the fact we are on a wish trip...but I also want to get as much out of this trip as we can...because it is a wish trip...I want it to be memorable (and not lots of memories of waiting and waiting and waiting in lines) you know what I mean.:D

mommie2angels...I asked our wish coordinator about the special dietary needs and how we arrange them. (at that time we were planning on packing it with us on the plane and wanted to know how to handle the weight restrictions.....but like I said all she told me was they didn't handle that and we would just need to buy what we needed when we were there. She did ask what/if we needed any special equiptment for the plane ride...but again didn't mention anything about at GKTW. I even asked her how we were suppose to get all the equiptment that we would need for Sydney while we were down there...I was asking because there is so much stuff (not counting any of our clothes) and were limited on the amout of luggage we can take on the plane. So as of now were planning on shipping her shakes...and packing her equiptment in our bags.:confused:

But maybe the closer it gets something else will come up. Guess we will see.

does your medical equipment count in your luggage allowance?

This thread is great!!! I'm getting so much info. Benji has his send off party this week. They'll be giving us plane tickets, info and an expense check that night. Benji's getting so excited!!
The only PS I made were for the Ohana Character B'fast, and The Biergarten in Epcot. And we've decided to only a park every other day. We have our misty mates, and our passporter, and we're pretty much good to go!!!

Loriann! I am so excited for ya'll!!! I didn't realize Benji's trip was coming up so quick. That snuck up on me. I hope that ya'll have a wonderful time!!! If I don't talk to you before ya'll leave I will talk to you when ya'll get back. I can't wait to hear about Ohana's character breakfast and what ya'll think of GKTW. Great plan on a park every other day. The off days will be filled with so much to do at GKTW. Have fun!!!

AmazingGrace ...wow your trip is comming up soon. I'm sure you all will have a blast. You said your send off party is this week, and you get the plane tickets and things then...how exciting.:D
You will have to give us an update on your trip when you get back.

From what I was told from our wish person...the equiptment will count with our flight baggage limit. She said "We can't control the regulations of the airlines, so you may think of renting/buying what you need down there instead of packing it." Didn't make much since to me. I thought they'd know/have ways of getting stuff there (to GKTW)...I would think many of the wish children have equiptment they need with them. As you can see I'm still working on how to get what we need there. The only thing the wish coordinator said they could arrange was equiptment needed on the airplane...With that she said she'd put in a "request" to the airline.

Have a great trip....and keep us posted:teeth:

<<<I thought they'd know/have ways of getting stuff there (to GKTW)...I would think many of the wish children have equiptment they need with them. As you can see I'm still working on how to get what we need there. The only thing the wish coordinator said they could arrange was equiptment needed on the airplane.>>>

I am in the planning stages of a wish trip for my boys. I was told by MAW that they will help me make arrangements to get the equipment the boys need at GKTW. I filled out a form on all what type of equipment they use everyday( ie IV pole, hospital bed, oxygen, etc). With all the medically fragile kids that go to GKTW, I'm sure there must be some way for you to get what you need down there instead of bringing it on the plane. I will be interested to hear what you find out.
Marie

Marie, now that you mention it, I think I remember something about equipment. DD only really has a feeding tube/pump and so we really didn't need to bring or arrange for equipment. I think we packed her bags and formula in with our luggage. But like you said, I'm sure GKTW deals with things like that all the time.

Jill, maybe you should try to contact them if your wish coordinator isn't sure. Or can you contact the wish organization directly? I know we had a volunteer from Make A Wish come and give us information, but I was still able to call the office and speak to someone there if I had any questions. You may want to give that a try.

To all of you with trips coming up, I am so exctied for you!!!! You will have the best time.
:Pinkbounc :bounce:

Yea..I know I need to figure something out...we shouldn't have to pack everything...We don't need a super lot (pediasure 6-8 cans a day, percusser and nebulizer... it would be nice to have her therapy vest there but it's to big and to $$$) The biggest thing is the pediasure...since she drinks sooo much and were going to be gone so long. Then also I don't know if were having so much trouble with the equiptment thing since were staying at GKTW for part of the wish then taking the cruise the last part. Then depending on the meds she is on they are sensitive to the kind of nebulizer used...I know strange....but true.

Still haven't found out how were going to get the rental car back to the airport and us back to GKTW for the town car people. We called GKTW last week to see if they had any shuttle service to help....but they don't. Said most of the time the transportation is arranged by the wish program.

When I first asked the wish people about the food and equiptment...was after they asked if we would need anything special for the airplane...ie oxygen or wc. But I asked the local wish coordinator here in town...after not getting anywhere with her I asked the wish coordinator at the head office in Spokane WA ....and still didn't get anywhere....(she is the one who told me to just buy the pediasure there when we arrived) But at $12 a 6pk and with her drinking 6-8 cans a day...you can see how that would add up FAST....I really don't care to take ours down there...we already have it (it being a dietary requirement for her, her insurance covers the cost)...I was just looking to see if they had a way to get it there, without having to pay cargo or additional weight baggage....or paying to have it shipped. But so far no luck. It looks like it will cost us around $50-60 to ship it ups. I have also thought about seeing if our medical supply company, who we the shakes from could somehow have it delevered there...but I'm thinking that may cause more troubles. They aren't always the easest place to work wiht.

I'll keep you posted on how it turns out....I've got a while still to work on it.

Does anyone know how much a taxi is from Orlando int. airport to GKTW???

:teeth:

When I first asked the wish people about the food and equiptment...was after they asked if we would need anything special for the airplane...ie oxygen or wc. But I asked the local wish coordinator here in town...after not getting anywhere with her I asked the wish coordinator at the head office in Spokane WA ....and still didn't get anywhere....(she is the one who told me to just buy the pediasure there when we arrived) But at $12 a 6pk and with her drinking 6-8 cans a day...you can see how that would add up FAST....I really don't care to take ours down there...we already have it (it being a dietary requirement for her, her insurance covers the cost)...I was just looking to see if they had a way to get it there, without having to pay cargo or additional weight baggage....or paying to have it shipped. But so far no luck. It looks like it will cost us around $50-60 to ship it ups. I have also thought about seeing if our medical supply company, who we the shakes from could somehow have it delevered there...but I'm thinking that may cause more troubles. They aren't always the easest place to work wiht.

Ya know, I was asking my DH if he remembers if we brought the pediasure with us or if it was shipped by the medical supplier. He's pretty sure we had it shipped and I kind of think he's right. I would talk to whoever you deal with at the medical supply place and explain the situation. They should be able to ship the pediasure right to GKTW. It shouldn't be too much trouble, they're just shipping it to a different address.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter