Give me some good news

karebear06

DIS Veteran
We have a 2 bedroom lock off at BCV reserved on March 23rd before our cruise. Our friends can't make it, so we really don't need the 2 bedroom. My use year is April and we will not be able to use the holding points. Do you think Disney would sprinkle pixie dust and let us use the 1 bedroom portion or the studio portion and not put our points in holding. I know BCV is a hot commodity, so I'm sure there are people on a waiting list anyways. Any other ideas or has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks in advance for the help! :)

You are actually asking for 2 favors here---splitting a 2 bedroom up (which is not allowed) and banking points that are past the booking window (also not allowed). All you can do is ask and hope. This is a good example of why use year matters. Good luck!

Why is a 2 bedroom not allowed to be split up if it's a lock off? Do they not ever rent them separately?

Why is a 2 bedroom not allowed to be split up if it's a lock off? Do they not ever rent them separately?
Good question. I don't know if anyone fully understands the algorithm Disney uses to decide which lock-offs will be booked as 2 bedrooms and which ones will be split but there have been lots of posts on the DIS over the years about folks asking for this very thing and being denied. Now that is not to say that it can't be done. Perhaps many people have been successful and have not posted here. You might get lucky and the only way to find out is to ask. Good luck!

They don't allow you to split it without canceling and rebooking, which would allow the waitlist, or potentially someone else booking at the same time, to grab it out from under you.

They don't allow you to split it without canceling and rebooking, which would allow the waitlist, or potentially someone else booking at the same time, to grab it out from under you.
In the past they didn't but there have been a number of reports of splitting without canceling over the past few years, maybe 3 or 4.

I do want to clarify that what they did for me was not the norm.
The agent said because I've never had any exceptions in the past, they could make one for me this time. So it was pixie dust!

I do want to clarify that what they did for me was not the norm.
The agent said because I've never had any exceptions in the past, they could make one for me this time. So it was pixie dust!
Yes, they have been known to give a "once in a lifetime" exemption from the rules. The question is do you want to spend your once in a lifetime exemption on this situation for one night of points.

Yes, they have been known to give a "once in a lifetime" exemption from the rules. The question is do you want to spend your once in a lifetime exemption on this situation for one night of points.
The questions is whether the once in a lifetime exception is worth it in this situation, it likely is for 1 BR points. This will likely be the one Mulligan for the master contract though.

In the past they didn't but there have been a number of reports of splitting without canceling over the past few years, maybe 3 or 4.
Have there been any reports of the opposite happening, where members were able snag a 1BR and a studio separately, and get MS to combine into one 2BR reservation without cancelling?

The questions is whether the once in a lifetime exception is worth it in this situation, it likely is for 1 BR points. This will likely be the one Mulligan for the master contract though.
Is the one-time exception per membership, regardless of however many contracts in that membership? And what if someone owns more than one membership - will they allow one for each membership?

What other exemptions is included in the once in a lifetime? We know banking is one. What are others?

Is the one-time exception per membership, regardless of however many contracts in that membership? And what if someone owns more than one membership - will they allow one for each membership?
Don't think of it as an entitlement that goes with your membership. It is more like an empowerment for front line customer service folks to apply at their discretion. They like to help if they can.

Don't think of it as an entitlement that goes with your membership. It is more like an empowerment for front line customer service folks to apply at their discretion. They like to help if they can.
Understood, but was wondering if they're allowed to do this one-time per member or per membership? My guess is per membership, since they always ask for an individual membership number whenever we call in for assistance. So, if OP had 4 different memberships when she made the request, would MS have checked all 4 memberships for any prior exceptions before granting this one?

Last edited:
I would say it is more up to the supervisors discretion on what they can do to help. I don't believe it's a once in a lifetime exception. All you can do is ask.

Have there been any reports of the opposite happening, where members were able snag a 1BR and a studio separately, and get MS to combine into one 2BR reservation without cancelling?
I am not aware of this happening.

We don't know, it's on a case by case basis it appears. Gathering info over the years, it appears to me it's per master contract and they do appear to track it somewhat. I don't recall ever seeing anyone say they were told no because they'd used it before but it could have happened but I also don't recall anyone saying they've done it twice.

What other exemptions is included in the once in a lifetime? We know banking is one. What are others?
Banking late, banking borrowed points, banking holding account points no longer in holding, canceling last minute have all been reported. More interesting to me is how multiple masters of a single owner are handled with transfers and the like.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter