GF or Poly in May 2023?!

Kathubb

Earning My Ears
Booking a May 2023 trip and am afraid that construction could be an issue at both GF and the Poly! Any insight in to timelines/when construction will end? We will be going back to the hotel for afternoon naps for the 2 year old, so daytime construction noise could be problematic…If Poly, I’m thinking to request a longhouse closer to the TTC to avoid tower construction. If GF, I’m thinking a resort studio to again be further from tower construction, but then I may run in to GF construction? Am I overthinking this??

I don't think there is really any way to predict construction schedules. Poly DVC is scheduled to be completed sometime in 2024. If you really want to be far away from that construction site, I would probably book a resort room at GF (resort studio would still be pretty far from construction, though Big Pine Key is closer to Poly than the other outer GF buildings). At GF, as long as you aren't in the original VGF building, you won't be near Poly construction, though you may still hear it. If I were staying at GF at that time, I would probably request Sago Cay or Conch Key.

I would think that a GF resort studio would put you far away enough from any construction that it wouldn’t be a bother if your door is closed. For a regular hotel room, you could keep tabs on which building is being reno’d at that time and request a building away from that.

I have a lagoon view VGF resort studio booked for right after Thanksgiving so I’m expecting to be able to see some construction across the water but will just roll with it.

At the Poly, a DVC studio villa would be away from the construction, if you can get one.

i had no idea there is construction in Poly in 2023.

Will the GF construction be complete in 2023? We plan to go in August 2023.

i had no idea there is construction in Poly in 2023.

Will the GF construction be complete in 2023? We plan to go in August 2023.

FWIW, Disney has been pretty quiet on what all they have going on in terms of GF refurbs, which IMHO makes it annoying to try to plan a trip there for the near to mid term. The Big Pine Key DVC conversion lasted from roughly March through late June 2022, so let’s round up and say 4 months. They moved almost immediately on to Boca Chica which is nearly identical size to Big Pine Key, so let's say July-Oct 2022, next building Nov 2022-Feb 2023, next building Mar 2023-June 2023, etc, etc. Not all of the upcoming buildings are the same size and they could always do multiple buildings at a time, so it’s hard (if not a fool's errand) to estimate the possible timeline exactly.

To use Disney’s vague phrase… ‘multi-year’… as taken from their most recent DPB post about V&A’s reopening.

The reopening of this fine dining staple comes as part of the multi-year transformation of Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, honoring its rich history at Walt Disney World Resort while enhancing its iconic Victorian charm and elegance. This grand transformation began with the addition of Enchanted Rose lounge and the reimagining of Cítricos – which features sophisticated, subtle nods to beloved Disney films – and continued with the reopening of The Grand Floridian Spa. Victoria & Albert’s and the newly enhanced and expanded accommodations at The Villas at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa will open this summer. The transformation will continue with updated offerings across the resort over the coming years.

So unfortunately a lot of unknowns and IMHO something to keep a close eye on. We've had great 'during renovation' stays at places, but we go often and are fine to go with the flow. Depending on the progression of work and one's tolerance for seeing things like construction walls, workers around, wanting a 'perfect' GF experience, etc, it may be tough to set your sights on GF at least through 2023.

as long as the pools and restaurants are open, I wouldn't worry about construction at GF. we were there with the refurb going on and it was a non-issue.

as long as the pools and restaurants are open, I wouldn't worry about construction at GF.
Generally speaking, this is true, because access to the guest room areas of the main GF building is limited to people staying in that building. It's exclusively Club Level. All non-CL stays will be in the outlying lodges. I'd be wary of booking a CL stay for the next few years for these reasons.

Only one of the GF's restaurants, Narcoosees, is not located in the GF Main Building.

As long as no work is being done in or near Main Building restaurants, a GF stay should be relatively unencumbered except for possible noise from work on a nearby building.

FWIW, Disney has been pretty quiet on what all they have going on in terms of GF refurbs, which IMHO makes it annoying to try to plan a trip there for the near to mid term. The Big Pine Key DVC conversion lasted from roughly March through late June 2022, so let’s round up and say 4 months. They moved almost immediately on to Boca Chica which is nearly identical size to Big Pine Key, so let's say July-Oct 2022, next building Nov 2022-Feb 2023, next building Mar 2023-June 2023, etc, etc. Not all of the upcoming buildings are the same size and they could always do multiple buildings at a time, so it’s hard (if not a fool's errand) to estimate the possible timeline exactly.

To use Disney’s vague phrase… ‘multi-year’… as taken from their most recent DPB post about V&A’s reopening.

The reopening of this fine dining staple comes as part of the multi-year transformation of Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, honoring its rich history at Walt Disney World Resort while enhancing its iconic Victorian charm and elegance. This grand transformation began with the addition of Enchanted Rose lounge and the reimagining of Cítricos – which features sophisticated, subtle nods to beloved Disney films – and continued with the reopening of The Grand Floridian Spa. Victoria & Albert’s and the newly enhanced and expanded accommodations at The Villas at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa will open this summer. The transformation will continue with updated offerings across the resort over the coming years.

So unfortunately a lot of unknowns and IMHO something to keep a close eye on. We've had great 'during renovation' stays at places, but we go often and are fine to go with the flow. Depending on the progression of work and one's tolerance for seeing things like construction walls, workers around, wanting a 'perfect' GF experience, etc, it may be tough to set your sights on GF at least through 2023.
This is so helpful- We are booked at outer garden view at GF but have been thinking of changing to Poly Studio DVC which are also far away from the construction. But still, its not nice to look over and see a construction site whilst on holiday or have noise on your rest days right.

What is everyones opinion? Should we pick Poly studio or stick with GF. Its such a hard choice because we originally wanted GF but I feel Poly has so much more to offer to kids.

Now wondering if its just not our luck to be at either resorts for our 2023 stay and maybe we need to pick elsewhere.

Its a shame the costs are not at all reflecting the construction!

This is so helpful- We are booked at outer garden view at GF but have been thinking of changing to Poly Studio DVC which are also far away from the construction. But still, its not nice to look over and see a construction site whilst on holiday or have noise on your rest days right.

What is everyones opinion? Should we pick Poly studio or stick with GF. Its such a hard choice because we originally wanted GF but I feel Poly has so much more to offer to kids.

Now wondering if its just not our luck to be at either resorts for our 2023 stay and maybe we need to pick elsewhere.

It's always such a tough call as you just never know what things will be like on the ground at any moment in time. I was in the main building in March while BPK work was just starting with a room looking towards the Courtyard Pool/BPK. While it was mostly a non-issue... it was not like the work was out of sight or sound. Plenty of construction walls were visible around the building, there was a steady flow of construction workers and construction materials to/from the building throughout the day (the only way to get to most of the outer buildings is through common areas/grounds), and noise was abundant as they we working on the roof and the exterior stairwells. Personally I was OK with it but I could easily see how someone wanting a more pristine/normal GF experience would want nothing to do with it.

While I hate to chase unknowns when it comes to vacation plans, Poly DVC (since that's far away from Tower construction) seems like it may be more of a known commodity in the near-term.

It's always such a tough call as you just never know what things will be like on the ground at any moment in time. I was in the main building in March while BPK work was just starting with a room looking towards the Courtyard Pool/BPK. While it was mostly a non-issue... it was not like the work was out of sight or sound. Plenty of construction walls were visible around the building, there was a steady flow of construction workers and construction materials to/from the building throughout the day (the only way to get to most of the outer buildings is through common areas/grounds), and noise was abundant as they we working on the roof and the exterior stairwells. Personally I was OK with it but I could easily see how someone wanting a more pristine/normal GF experience would want nothing to do with it.

While I hate to chase unknowns when it comes to vacation plans, Poly DVC (since that's far away from Tower construction) seems like it may be more of a known commodity in the near-term.
We live in Dubai and if theres one thing I want to get away from on holiday, its construction work!

Feeling sad as we were so excited about the Poly ambience and island feel.

I think we may still be better off getting a DVC in Poly than doing GF which seems closer to the work- very hard call now!

Besides convenience, ambience and vibe is a huge part of the price we pay for these two resorts really isnt it.

If construction stuff bothers you I’d stick with Poly studio. It’s on the other side of the mess! Also you can walk to TTC from there pretty easily.

If construction stuff bothers you I’d stick with Poly studio. It’s on the other side of the mess! Also you can walk to TTC from there pretty easily.
i agree- this may be a better options but who wants to see construction workers and materials being shifted through the resort whilst walking around or enjoying the pool? I've heard thats normal in the past but unsure why they would do that through the GCH when the construction site is further away so maybe that wouldnt be the case.

I know it sounds super picky- but neither deluxe resorts are cheap and I think its alot to consider overall before making the decision.

Thank you for your suggestion and response :)

We live in Dubai and if theres one thing I want to get away from on holiday, its construction work!

Feeling sad as we were so excited about the Poly ambience and island feel.

I think we may still be better off getting a DVC in Poly than doing GF which seems closer to the work- very hard call now!

Besides convenience, ambience and vibe is a huge part of the price we pay for these two resorts really isnt it.

Yeah, tough call! It's annoying as whatever they have going on at GF during your stay could end up being totally out of sight/mind or maybe even complete by your trip, making this whole conversation for not.

I also stay at Poly a lot too, and while we need to wait until things fully get going to see, the construction site being on the west edge of Poly grounds is relatively isolated from the bulk of Poly, so I'm expecting it to largely be a non-issue, especially for DVC guests. Many Poly guests could go a whole stay and never even go on that side of the resort, other than to use the path to GF or gym. Granted the same can't be said if you're a hotel-side guests in a longhouse on the west side overlooking the Tower site as that will be the opposite of what I just said.

Anyway, good luck deciding. Not sure if you have the flexibility and I normally don't advocate holding multiple reservations, but if you can, maybe do that and then adjust later on as we learn more about both projects?

Quite so.

The walkway to the TTC is great, a mere 5-10 minutes along a beautifully landscaped path. It leaves from the far corner of PagoPago. You can also reach it easily by walking out the GCH's main entrance and going left along the sidewalk. That'll point you toward the walkway's entrance.

Compared with the GF, we found service at the Poly somewhat lacking. Bell services called us asking me to describe our luggage, because they weren't sure which was ours! Then, when it finally arrived, the bellhop simply stood near the cart, removing each piece and shoving it along the floor for me to pick up and put inside the studio. Needless to say, he did not get a tip!

The studio refurb was attractive, but our PagoPago studio had several flaws that should have been corrected shortly after the refurb was done. Our stay was six weeks after it was supposedly completed. And, the hallways and elevator were badly in need of a refurb.

Unless you're keen to stay at either of these, I suggest considering a stay in WL or a CCV studio. (BRV is long overdue for the promised refurb, or I'd recommend it.) WL's atmosphere is as distinctive as Poly's in its own sense. It's very peaceful there which can be pleasant as hectic as the parks often are. And Geyser Point, the open-air bar/QS has lovely food. Also, the boat to MK and buses elsewhere are reliable. WL is the least pricey Deluxe, besides.

Just to add, before seeing this forum i was about to give in and just book the Poly Club which is in Hawaii and would have been right next to all the construction. I would have been crying very expensive tears.

Just to add, before seeing this forum i was about to give in and just book the Poly Club which is in Hawaii and would have been right next to all the construction. I would have been crying very expensive tears.

Just FYI, the Hawaii longhouse is not right next to the Tower construction - it’s actually in a great spot in the middle of the resort away from the work. TPV and LV rooms will have a few of it off to the left well across the water, but it’s not exactly close. We stay Poly CL relatively frequently and I haven’t even considered changing any plans.

It’s Tuvalu, Fiji, and Aotearoa that are the ones in material danger of being right up next to construction (assuming Disney intends to put guests in the rooms facing the work).

Just FYI, the Hawaii longhouse is not right next to the Tower construction - it’s actually in a great spot in the middle of the resort away from the work. TPV and LV rooms will have a few of it off to the left well across the water, but it’s not exactly close. We stay Poly CL relatively frequently and I haven’t even considered changing any plans.

It’s Tuvalu, Fiji, and Aotearoa that are the ones in material danger of being right up next to construction (assuming Disney intends to put guests in the rooms facing the work).
Just goes to show what an absolute *noob* I am. I opened up your response and the map side by side to understand better.

I guess I expected its better to be as far away as possible- I dont know about the US but here... boy does construction noise travel far.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter