Getting rid of camper.

tw1nsmom

DIS Veteran
Well, it looks like we've decided to get rid of our camper. We never have time to use it, and today we found two sizable soft spots in the floor (one small one and one 1 ft by 3 foot one). I just don't think we're cut out to be a camping family.

I need your help though. What would you price a camper with floor issues? It's a 30 ft 2003 coachman with bunks and a queen bed. When I plugged it into NADA it came up with an $8,000-$10,000 range. I know we won't get that, but how much would you pay for a camper with issues? Personally, I would never want one with problems, but maybe someone would want a fixer upper. Any ideas?:confused3

I have no idea on price. It may be worth having it repaired and then selling it.

I was thinking along the same lines. I would at least go and get an estimate first. You are going to take a severe hit on the price once they find out there is something wrong with it. You are not in the market right now to have much negotiating power if you are under the eight ball right off the bat like that...

It is worth a shot to see if you can swing it...

I agree I think you should look into getting repaired. It may still be under warranty. Warranties on some models can be up to 12 years on the roof and floor. It's something you might want to check into, that way the cost of the repairs is little or none out of you pocket and you can get a higher asking price for it.

see if it's under warranty or covered by insurance. Would you buy something from someone that had an obvious defect? I'd buy a trailer like that, but only for a grand.

Have you had "someone" look at it? I'd certainly get it fixed vs. taking such a loss on the trailer myself.

A friend of mine had a similar issue with a similar trailer and his insurance paid to fix it.
We traded a 27 ft last year (before the market got REALLY bad) and didnt get anything close to the price you were quoted.
Its definetly a buyers market right now in pre-owned RV's so you need to make yours stand out among the crowd.
Having said all that, my first stop would be at a reputable RV repair facility to see exactly what you are dealing with on your flooring and then proceed based on their analysis.

good luck

Thanks all! Well, we got the estimate...$4,000. We won't be fixing it. We're just not using it enough to warrant putting that much more money into it. At this point we've decided to cut our losses and put it on ebay (or craigslist...whatever DH decides to do). I guess we weren't meant to be a camping family. If we get a couple thousand for it and it's out of my yard, I'll be happy. I think, maybe, DH was looking for a reason to get rid of it and this is the final straw.

Note: I know the estimate is high and we may be able to find someone to do it a little cheaper (and it definitely would be a lot cheaper if DH had time to do it himself), but it's a reputable dealer and we figure it's in the ballpark that everyone else will be.

Well I would have to agree with Pete. I have bought a few with problems like that. The thing is if the floor is soft then you have roof problems also. I have never paid anymore than 1k for a camper with those problems. It is definately a buyers market so you may not even get that much. Hope you don't still owe on it. n But good luck selling it.

Well, it's gone. We were able to get $2,400 for it and we're really ok with that. When we fully looked into the problem we saw that it was the whole right side of the camper for about 12 inches. It appears that the rain was coming down the siding and hitting the channel that holds the siding in and wicking into the floor. We called Coachmen, but they said it wouldn't be covered. It just wasn't worth it for us to fix it. We don't use it enough. Oh well, happy camping to everyone!

Wow what a shame you had to let a 2003 camper go for that price...but at least it's out of your hands...well good luck to you and don't let those hotel bed bugs bite...hehe :cool1:

Wow,,,that's a shame all the way around. I'm glad you were able to to a "quick sell" and get it off your hands. That in itself, is a relief. Don't give up on FtW, though. There are a lot of RV rental options - and I've heard some will even drive a rental to FtW & set it up for you. Can't get more convenient than that!:thumbsup2

Wow what a shame you had to let a 2003 camper go for that price...but at least it's out of your hands...well good luck to you and don't let those hotel bed bugs bite...hehe :cool1:

I know, that did hurt a little. At least until we did the math. When you add in the cost of the $4,000 or more repair the unit needed we end up much closer to book value. We just couldn't justify spending that much money on something we don't have time to use. If we had it fixed so that we could sell it at a higher price we would be unlikely to make back the repair money. I found that the market for cheap fixer uppers is moving much faster than higher price units around here.

Oh well, lesson learned. Better to cut our losses and move on than to throw good money after bad. I'm sure I'll make it to the Fort someday. There's always the cabins.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter