Gettin' Around Disney July 2021 Exercise Thread

24 stupid minutes. They were dumb, but I'm counting everyone of them. We're stuck in a house hunting nightmare, and took vacation time/rushed out of work to look at a house. Except it 1) didn't work for us at all and 2) had 3 "above asking price, with escalation clauses to go even higher" offers on the table by the time the agent unlocked the door. Because of that we ended up not sure where we were going, walking up and down the streets of a quaint small town in 2 inch heels! (the ones I wear to sit at my office job) I didn't think it was a lot of walking, but my FitBIt considered it a workout. :( My feet are definitely not happy with me.

385/800

I guess we will never see HEA at all. We took a hiatus from WDW from May 2015 to October 2019 (visited DL instead), and then in October 2019 the only time we were at MK at night was for the Halloween party, which had its own fireworks. Then we were there last May, but no fireworks. Strange that they are permanently retiring the show after only a few years--I think Wishes lasted nearly 14 years?
I'm so stumped by what Disney is doing. Maybe they'll bring HEA back after the 50th celebration fireworks when that 'birthday' party ends in more than a year??? I don't understand debuting new Halloween, Christmas, and regular Fireworks, closing for 2 years and then switching to nothing but new special event fireworks for more than a year. But then I still don't understand closing Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. :P

40 minutes today, walking and weeding. (355/500). Those weeds don't pull themselves! I'm finding that if I let them go for a while, it's easier to pull them when they are longer 😄 But the garden is rewarding me in spades this year - it's never been so lush! The lilies are spectacular! This is only one section! And, yes - that's Bambi and her family back there!

@ljcrochet - you are amazing!

@Raya - oh, how frustrating! House hunting is never easy but it seems that this year, it's lousy on a higher level.
Also, I had no idea HEA was ending - that's awful! I loved it!

Regarding the tolls, the rental car we got in May had a transponder that you could pull out and use for tolls (for an extra charge, of course). We decided it was worth the convenience (we were visiting family before the WDW portion of the trip so were using toll roads quite a bit).
Thanks for that info! We'll definitely look into that next trip!

Congratulations to Statefan17 and to the TEAM for turning Trolley Car Tan!

I hope no one ever needs to know this next transportation tidbit, but it could be helpful. If you're at WDW and not feeling well, Disney has an arrangement with Advent Health that includes complimentary transportation to an urgent care facility! Here's information about their partnership with Advent Health.

Congratulations to Raya for turning Skyliner Purple!

Earlier we looked at boats around the MK area, but Disney also has other boat transportation.

Within Epcot, you'll find the Friendship Boats crossing the World Showcase lagoon. Look for docks on the Future World side of the lagoon (one toward Mexico and one toward Canada) that connect to docks on the other side (one near Germany and one near Morocco). I think I read somewhere that only the Canada-Morocco route is currently operating, but I won't swear to that!

Just outside Epcot's International Gateway, you can board a Friendship Boat to Hollywood Studios. That route will stop at the Boardwalk, the Yacht & Beach Club, and the Swan & Dolphin along the way. It can be a pleasant ride, if you don't mind the resort stops, but it's probably faster just to walk.

Friendship boats generally accommodate ECVs, wheelchairs, and strollers, unless the water levels are abnormally high or low, when it may be necessary to step down or up into the boat.

And yet, there's more! If you're staying at Port Orleans Riverside or French Quarter, Old Key West, or Saratoga Springs (or you just want a fun trip), you can take the Sassagoula River Ferry Boat to Disney Springs. These boats also offer transport between the different areas of Disney Springs. As with the MK, the different routes are marked with different color flags, so be sure you know where you're going!

Wheelchairs may have to be folded on the Sassagoula boats.

Another Disney park that offers boat transportation is Tokyo DisneySea, which has the DisneySea Transit Steamer Line. With departure docks at Mediterranean Harbor, American Waterfront, and Lost River Delta, the 13 boats generally operate in a clockwise direction, traveling all around the park. The DisneySea website has a short video showing the Steamer boats (note the cheery song in English!).

My DH and I were lucky enough to have our very own Steamer early on our last day at Tokyo DisneySea. We headed for the back of the park (while everyone else was going to American Waterfront for Toy Story Mania) to ride a last few rides, then we rode the Steamer from the Lost River Delta back to Mediterranean Harbor. I think the cast members were a bit surprised that someone was heading back to the front of the park so early!

This leg was particularly fun because it traveled through the volcano that is DisneySea's centerpiece (the inside of which is the Jules Verne-inspired Mysterious Island area). You can see that starting at about minute 4 in this video.

925 minutes since last check in- horses, walking while caring for my horse - have not been up to any video workouts since I'm putting in close to 5 hours a day at the barn. He is hurt again. I haven't ridden since March because of his surgery, then wounds from fighting once turned out with the rest of the horses (this is normal in a herd - they fight for pecking order - usually it's not too bad, but mine is a dummy and wants to be top horse even if he gets his tail kicked over and over), then cut his leg requiring stall rest and hoof bandage, and now has cut both front legs up (more stall rest, double hoof bandages) plus pulled a ton of muscles very, very badly. He almost had to go 4 hours away to the nearest equine hospital. I am losing pounds of water weight each day. His mobility is getting worse since his last vet check on TH. I am beginning to feel like it's more than pulled muscles - likely a fracture or torn ligament. The vet is supposed to come back Monday. I'm so worried and stressed. I just needed to vent. If anyone sends me a hug emoji, I will probably break down and cry. So sorry for the downer post, but thank you for letting me clear my head.

2320/2200

A 30 minute walk yesterday- a lovely morning! (385/500)

I hope no one ever needs to know this next transportation tidbit, but it could be helpful. If you're at WDW and not feeling well, Disney has an arrangement with Advent Health that includes complimentary transportation to an urgent care facility!
[/QUOTE]
We’ve had to use this service - my husband developed a bad sinus infection. They were great! Picked us up very close to the room at Coronado, then to the urgent care. They saw him quickly, then the van even took us to the pharmacy to pick up the prescriptions. The driver even offered to take us to a supermarket! A very Disney experience!

@Twilight Sparkle, I’m so sorry about your horse. I hope the vet can solve his issues.
@sophy1996 - one of my favorite things about staying at OKW is the boat ride to DS. It’s such a relaxing way to go!

Congratulations to Twilight Sparkle for turning Monorail Green, to PollyannaMom and BonnieF for turning Trolley Car Tan, and to the TEAM for turning Railroad Red! [EDITED TO ADD: Oops, I forgot to adjust the team's total goal, and we haven't quite made it to red yet! My bad.]

One of Disneyland's Opening Day attractions was the Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad, now known as simply the Disneyland Railroad. It is a 3-foot narrow-gauge railway that travels a loop 1.2 miles around. This was one of Walt Disney's pet projects, as he was famously a lover of railroads. Here's an article about the history of the Disneyland Railroad. It notes that one of the engines, the Fred Gurley, was first put into service in 1895! At Disneyland, there are four stops: Main Street, USA, New Orleans Square, Mickey's Toontown, and Tomorrowland.

The MK also featured its Walt Disney World Railroad on its Opening Day. Its route is slightly longer, at 1.5 miles, with three stops: Main Street, USA, Frontierland, and Fantasyland (in the Storybook Circus area). Unfortunately, the WDWRR has been closed for quite awhile because of construction on the new TRON attraction in Tomorrowland, which requires rerouting the railroad track.

The Disneyland Railroad features dioramas of the Grand Canyon and Primeval World, with dinosaurs, but the WDWRR does not. One of my favorite Disney memories is the time my DH insisted vehemently on riding the WDWRR all the way around the MK. I mean, I enjoy the RR, but why go all the way around? When we got back to the Main Street station, he was very confused. What happened to the dinosaurs?? he said plaintively. Turns out he confused the Disneyland RR with the dino-less WDWRR!

Last edited:
Twilight Sparkle, I very much hope that your horse recovers quickly. It's so hard when our loved ones are injured or ill.

BonnieF, thanks for the confirmation about the urgent care transport! Glad it all worked out so well. And we too enjoy the boats to DS--we've never stayed at OKW, but we have stayed several times at POR and POFQ.

Adding my time since the 18th. I haven't looked just yet but I think they are really bad numbers. DD was in the ER last Monday night. She is ok. The doctors thought possible appendicitis, then a cyst and now it is that she pulled (strained her abdominal wall muscle, the six pack muscle). I spent a lot of time at doctors appointments last week. I am going to still try to get my time in this week.

July 19th -- 36
July 20th -- 0
July 21st -- 0
July 22nd -- 23
July 23rd -- 0
July 24th -- 23
July 25th -- 52

Total -- 960/1395

I need to get 72ish minutes a day to hit my goal. Headache please go away so I can get my time in today.

Congratulations to me for turning Trolley Car Tan! And I'll note that the TEAM is nearly at 96%, with 5 days left to go in the month! Go TEAM! [Edited to add: Oops, as stated above, I made a mistake with the totals, and we're not quite to red yet.]

In addition to the historic railroads circling the U.S. parks, you can reach some overseas parks by modern trains. Tokyo Disneyland Resort is east of central Tokyo, in Chiba prefecture, but it's easily accessible by train on the JR (Japan Railway) Keiyo Line/Musashino Line. The train stops at Maihama Station, right at the Ikspiari shopping district and the monorail station, and within walking distance of Tokyo Disneyland and the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel. Maihama Station is only about 15 minutes by train from Tokyo Station in central Tokyo.

Disneyland Paris also is accessible by train. You can take the suburban commuter line RER-A from central Paris to the Marne-la-Vallee-Chessy station, which is next to the front gates of Disney Village and about a minute or two walk to the theme parks.. The trip takes about 40 minutes (and is pretty full of commuters during the week!). If you want to spend some time in Paris, you can use the same ticket system for RER, the Metro, and buses.

If you're just interested in visiting Disneyland Paris, it doesn't get much more convenient than the TGV train between the resort and Charles de Gaulle airport (CDG). From Marne-la-Vallee-Chessy station to CDG, it's just 10 minutes! We took the train from the parks to the airport, and it was an immensely long passenger train (something like 20 cars, perhaps?). If for some reason you can't take the TGV train, you could combine the RER-B from CDG to central Paris, and then the RER-A out to the resort, but that will take something like 70 minutes.

In both Tokyo and Paris, you can leave your luggage at the train stations to be delivered to your Disney resort hotels, so you can head right to the parks!

Train fans in the United States, do not despair: plans are in the works for train service to come to WDW! A private company called Brightline has plans to build a higher-speed rail line from Orlando to Tampa, stopping in Disney Springs along the way. Unfortunately, the timing for the line keeps getting pushed back, with the latest word being 2026 as the earliest date.

Last edited:
30 minutes walking - in the house - I just can't take the humidity, so I do circles through in and around the rooms on my first floor - it takes a while 😛 But, I see little things that need attention - think I'll start taking the dust cloth!
piglet1979 - hoping your daughter's issues get resolved asap! (wish we had more choices in the like button)

415/500

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter