Gettin' Around Disney July 2021 Exercise Thread

sophy1996

DIS Veteran
Welcome to the July 2021 exercise thread! This month we're going to take a look at all of the different means of transportation to get you to and around the Disney Parks.

If you’re returning, we’re excited to have you back! If you’re new, welcome to the team! Here’s how it works:

Each person chooses a time goal and posts minutes towards that goal as they exercise. You can post daily or just catch up when you can. You decide what movement counts towards your goal - which can be a nice round total for the month, a specific number that means something to you, or a calculation based on a target number of minutes per day.

Since July has 31 days, here are some common conversions:

15 minutes/day = 465
20 minutes/day = 620
30 minutes/day = 930
45 minutes/day = 1395
1 hour/day = 1860

One of the special motivations of our Disney challenge is color changing! Page one will be updated with individual and team color changes as we make more and more progress.

10% - Boat Blue
25% - Omnibus Orange
50% - Skyliner Purple
75% - Trolley Car Tan
90% - Railroad Red

100% - Monorail Green

We’re officially starting this challenge on July 1, but if you don’t find the thread until later in the month, you’re still welcome to join!! There's no better time than the present to start toward your goals! Just post your goal and I’ll add you to the list. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and to check out old threads to see what’s been going on.

Participants:

BonnieF - 536/500
Elizabeth Smith - 905/760
ljcrochet - 725/400

piglet1979 - 960/1395
PollyannaMom - 515/500
Raya - 424/800
sophy1996 - 1400/1400
Statefan17 - 1431/1200
Twilight Sparkle - 3605/2200

Team Total: 10,501/9155 114.7%

Last edited:
Welcome to July! Let's start with a couple of ground rules for this month's theme.

First, I'm not looking into/taking account of COVID closures. Some transportation methods may not be currently available--but hopefully everything that was operating pre-COVID will return soon! If you are planning a trip during COVID times, be sure to confirm what is operating while you're at the parks and resorts.

Second, I'm defining transportation as means of travel from one place to another place, nothing that simply takes you round-trip. So no trail rides, no Liberty Belle Riverboat or Davy Crockett Canoes, no Autopia, Peoplemover, Nemo's Submarines, no Amphicar, etc.

OK, on with the month! Up first is one of the main means of transport to the Magic Kingdom -- the Seven Seas Lagoon Ferryboats.

Of the three ferries that ply the waters between the TTC and MK, two are "Magic Kingdom" class, the Richard F. Irvine and Admiral Joe Fowler. The third is a "Kingdom Queen" class, the General Joe Potter. (Click the links for information about the ferries' namesakes, who all were instrumental in creating WDW.)

They are free-floating; no tracks run across the bottom of Seven Seas Lagoon! Each ferry carries up to 600 guests and three crew members. The ride across the lake takes about 10 minutes. At opening and closing, all three ferries operate. Given their capacity, it might be faster to take the ferry boat to or from the TTC at busy times.

On our last trip to WDW, we rented a car, which we had never done before. We ended up taking several pleasant ferryboat rides after parking at the TTC. On one ride, there was a giant grey heron sunning itself by the dock in front of MK!

Here's an article with 10 Amazing Facts About Walt Disney World Ferry Boats, including information on the construction of the three ferries currently operating.

I'll aim for 500 minutes this month - taking into account the July heat.

I love taking the ferry to MK. I remember discovering it a long time ago - 1988 - when I was still pushing a stroller. So much easier than going up the ramp to the monorail!

Last edited:

I’m sticking with 400 minutes. I’m hoping this new chemo doesn’t wipe me out like the last type.
I love the theme. My first Disney trip in 1993ish, we stayed offsite and took the ferry. It was a great way to start the trip. I think my girls have only taken the ferry 2 or 3 times since we almost always stay on site.

Ferryboats aren't the only boat transportation to the MK. Four resorts--Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Wilderness Lodge, and Fort Wilderness--offer transport by water launches (also known as water taxis) around the Seven Seas Lagoon and to the MK. There are four routes, marked by colored flags:

The Gold Flag route is from MK to Grand Floridian, then the Polynesian, and then back to the MK.
The Green Flag route is between MK and Fort Wilderness. Unlike the other MK-area resorts, the water launch is Fort Wilderness' only means of transport to the MK.
The Reg Flag route is from MK to Wilderness Lodge.
The Blue Flag route connects the Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, and Fort Wilderness. Two launches operate in opposite directions around the route.

Water launches may not operate during inclement weather, and will be shut down if there is lightning. And for anyone with mobility issues, note that several of the launches require a transfer and two steps down. The Green Flag boats and one type of Reg Flag boat do accommodate ECVs and wheelchairs without a transfer.

As an aside, here's an interesting Disney Parks Blog article about sailing the Seven Seas Lagoon in years past.

I’m sticking with 400 minutes. I’m hoping this new chemo doesn’t wipe me out like the last type.
I love the theme. My first Disney trip in 1993ish, we stayed offsite and took the ferry. It was a great way to start the trip. I think my girls have only taken the ferry 2 or 3 times since we almost always stay on site.

Thinking of you and wishing you well with the new chemo.

Sophy, thank you for hosting this forum.

I will try for 1200 minutes again this month. Even though I made that goal in June it was a challenge for me. So, I will work to meet that same goal this month.

I love the transportation theme and hope the RR and the monorail to EPCOT return fairly soon.

We usually drive to WDW, so when we park at the TTC, the ferry boats are our favorite way to reach MK. The monorail is fun, too, but the ferry boats are the best! For the boats to hold 600 people, somehow we always manage to find a good-sized personal space bubble.

Congratulations to ljcrochet for being the first team member to reach Boat Blue!

For this holiday weekend, let's head over to Fort Wilderness, where they really get into celebrating the Fourth of July (and other holidays!).

Once you've taken the Green Flag launch to Fort Wilderness, there are many options for getting around this huge (750 acres!) resort. Fort Wilderness has its own internal bus system, which includes the Orange, Yellow, and Purple lines that take different paths through the campground.

More interestingly, at the Bike Barn you can rent not only bikes, but also surrey bikes, kayaks, and canoes. And at the Outpost Entrance, you can rent golf carts. During Fourth of July, Halloween, and Christmas, there are golf cart parades, with carts decorated for the seasons. And the golf carts are a great way to tour the decorated Fort Wilderness campsites at Halloween and Christmas time! Golf cart rental is extremely popular, and reservations are recommended. Disney takes cart reservations up to a year in advance!

Also, while you're at Fort Wilderness, be sure to stop by the Tri-Circle-D Ranch, home to the horses and ponies we'll be seeing later in connection with other forms of Disney transport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter