Get a universal annual pass?

Keladry84

Mouseketeer
I need some help weighing options for Universal Orlando. I took a trip in 2022 for the first time and liked the parks a lot. I hadn't planned on going again until Epic Universe opens, but I was recently approved for an AAP due to a disability and I'd like to try the parks again with the accommodations - there were several things I was unable to do my previous visit as I didn't know of the existence of accommodation options. I'd be able to more fully experience the parks now than I could my last trip.

I have a first-ever trip planned to Disney World in March, and am thinking of popping over to Universal while I'm in town. My options would be:

1. 1 day universal mid-week/trip - Ueber from Disney, $220 ticket
2. 2 day universal beginning of trip (Stay 1 night universal hotel, go to parks on travel day in the evening/morning of first full day in town) - $300 ticket
3. annual pass (PowerPass $475)
- I'm looking at the cost of the first two options and it's a lot for what would be only about 6-8 hours in the park for me total - my disability makes it difficult for me to spend more than that in a park without a break. I noticed that the cost of the PowerPass annual pass is $475. I have quite a few airline points saved up that if planned correctly, I might be able to make a couple future trips to Orlando on points only. If I can combine that with luck on getting passholder discounts on Universal lodging for the same dates, I could make several trips for only a few hundred each trip of flight/hotel cost and be able to enjoy the parks multiple times over the year. I'm a huge Potter fan so this would be pretty neat to be able to visit regularly!
4. Not tack on Universal to this trip/no annual pass, stay with Disney only and wait until Epic Universe opens to visit Universal again as per my original plans (financially makes the most sense!)

So in other words, I need help deciding between the options. Are there pros/cons that I'm not seeing?

Thanks!

March is going to be very crowded. As much as my family loves Universal, it seems expensive and exhausting to add it on to a Disney trip at such a busy time. I would just concentrate your energy on Disney in March and forgo Universal on that trip.

You could always still visit Universal next year with your airline miles and purchase a less expensive Seasonal Pass and visit at less crowded times.

I basically was in your same situation for my trip a couple of weeks ago. It was just two days tacked on the end of a business trip. I went for the season pass. I couldn't justify spending $350 for 2 days, but $450 for all year, that's a great deal. I figured if I only went back once for a week, it would be worth the money, and if I could get a couple of more trips out of it, it would be a great value.

I had an AP for close to 10 years, though, before the pandemic, so I knew I wouldn't mind going more than once in a year. We used to go all the time.

The thing I really like about the AP is I know I can go back, so I don't feel pressured to see everything in one trip. I can just take it easy and whatever we don't get to now, we will do next time. Having that peace of mind to just go slow and take time to enjoy the details is great.

In your situation, I'm not sure I'd enjoy only seeing a tiny bit of the parks for so much money unless I was returning for another trip. Like AJA mentioned, the parks will be crowded, so I'd either do only Disney or get the AP and plan another trip to make it worth the price.

Hi OP:

I would definitely get the Universal AP. The price for one day at Universal is a lot. If it is very crowded, like another poster stated, then you would be waiting in long lines all day. If you add on the exress pass for your one day, that would increase the price a lot. You also get some perks with the AP's and discounts.

I would concentrate on Disney this trip, especially since you've never been and everything will be new. Then in 2015 you can decide how to allocate time between the two resorts.

Thanks to all of those who gave feedback! I needed the advice for focusing on Disney this trip, and right now that is my plan. I did however tweak my plans by changing the resort to stay at - I got an extra day and better flight time for about 150 less than the original plans - which is a bout a 3rd of the way towards an eventual annual pass for Universal! Airline points/AP discounted hotels will be there for another trip with hopefully less crowds! :)

I think its a good decision to focus on Disney. I somehow missed that this was your first Disney trip when I originally responded.

Disney is so huge in comparison to Universal, and everything takes so much longer to see, not to mention it is over twice as large, probably closer to 3 times as large. You won't run out of things to do there.

Our first Disney trip was almost 20 years ago, during the off season, and back when you still had free unlimited skip the line passes. We did around 7 parks days total, and we still left feeling like we didn't see everything. I couldn't imagine that same trip today with the wait times what they are now and no real way to offset those. We wouldn't fit in even half of what we managed back then, so I definitely wouldn't want to take time away from Disney.

I think its a good decision to focus on Disney. I somehow missed that this was your first Disney trip when I originally responded.

Disney is so huge in comparison to Universal, and everything takes so much longer to see, not to mention it is over twice as large, probably closer to 3 times as large. You won't run out of things to do there.

Our first Disney trip was almost 20 years ago, during the off season, and back when you still had free unlimited skip the line passes. We did around 7 parks days total, and we still left feeling like we didn't see everything. I couldn't imagine that same trip today with the wait times what they are now and no real way to offset those. We wouldn't fit in even half of what we managed back then, so I definitely wouldn't want to take time away from Disney.
I'm wondering how much of a shock it's going to be at Disneyworld with the size difference! Universal was my first experience with large theme parks and was hands down a great experience over smaller regional parks. I had 4 days planned but got only 3 due to an airline delay. It was just barely enough to see most things I wanted. Oddly enough at that time I had zero interest in Disney - Universal for me was really about the Harry Potter World and it was a bucket list about 10 years in the making! About a year ago I saw the imagineering documentaries on Disney+ and learned about all the innovation of animatronics and other elements in the rides and became fascinated! Universal has a lot screens, and that was my first experience with that type of ride. But my two favorites - ET and Forbidden Journey - both have core elements of built scenery and non/low screen ride mechanics. I'm looking forward to those types of rides at Disney - especially the dark rides, boat rides, and those with the old-school animatronics.

I'm wondering how much of a shock it's going to be at Disneyworld with the size difference! Universal was my first experience with large theme parks and was hands down a great experience over smaller regional parks. I had 4 days planned but got only 3 due to an airline delay. It was just barely enough to see most things I wanted. Oddly enough at that time I had zero interest in Disney - Universal for me was really about the Harry Potter World and it was a bucket list about 10 years in the making! About a year ago I saw the imagineering documentaries on Disney+ and learned about all the innovation of animatronics and other elements in the rides and became fascinated! Universal has a lot screens, and that was my first experience with that type of ride. But my two favorites - ET and Forbidden Journey - both have core elements of built scenery and non/low screen ride mechanics. I'm looking forward to those types of rides at Disney - especially the dark rides, boat rides, and those with the old-school animatronics.

I think you will enjoy Disney. It is far less screen heavy. Personally, I like Disney better as far as the actual attractions, but it has gotten to the point for me that I don't enjoy the hassle of navigating the parks, the crowds, and the long waits, not to mention dining.

However, if you can go into it with realistic expectations and a lot of knowledge and planning, you'll have a great time, especially since you don't have any past trips to compare the new Disney to. That's probably my biggest issue. I got spoiled back when you could ride all day without ever waiting.

Here are a few key differences to keep in mind:

Dining Reservations

Universal - nice, but not required, and can almost always be made last minute
Disney - must have and need to make them months in advance

Distance / Park Hopping
Universal - parks are close together, quick to change parks, 5 to 20 minutes and you can be in the other park
Disney - parks are spread very far apart, can take hours to change parks, personally, I've not found it worth doing as it eats into so much of your time

Example
10 to 15 minutes to walk to bus stop
15 to 30 minute wait for the bus
20 to 40 minute ride on the bus to other park if direct bus available (not sure if they are offering direct park to park buses right now or not. At times, they have made you go to another location and switch, like a hotel or Disney Springs, so that adds even more time.)
10 to 15 minutes to get through security and to the new park
10 to 15 minutes to get to the new attraction inside the new park

So easily, 2 hours of your time wasted switching parks, and those numbers are very reserved. I've seen it take over 3 hours before. It really depends on security lines, and if you happen to catch a bus or have to wait 45 minutes for one to show up. Also, the distance and traffic between the two parks you are switching between. Some can take up to 45 minutes or more just for the bus ride with traffic.

Within the parks, everything is spread farther out as well at Disney, so it takes longer to get around the parks from one attraction to another at Disney, than it does at Universal. Just something to keep in mind.

Security

Universal - one check point then all the resort except the hotels is within the screened area
Disney - there is separate security for each park, so you will have to go back through it for every new place you visit

Rides (proportionally, not total)
Universal - Has more screens, more spinning, more jerking, more fast and intense rides, to make you motion sick
Disney - Has more slow moving, mom can ride holding baby, pleasant rides.

That's part of what I love about Disney. Almost nothing makes sick there and everything does at Universal. I have to use a patch at Universal, but I've never needed one at Disney.

Doesn't mean Disney doesn't have thrill rides because it does, but proportionally, you'll find more family rides.

Shows
Universal - Has only two real sit down shows left and a number of smaller impromptu street shows.
Disney - Has way more high quality large productions, but less of the smaller impromptu street shows

Parades

Universal - Only one parade and outside of the special themed parades, its just ok
Disney - Has multiple large parades that are all really great

Characters
Universal - There are not all that many, there is usually no wait to a very minimal wait, usually an informal setting, just on the street or in their gift shop
Disney - Characters are as popular as rides and get just as long lines to see, but there are tons of them, and most have special themed meet-n-greet sets and everything, so keep that in mind if there is someone you really want to see

Hope this helps give you some perspective on what to expect.

Also, do some googling on little known park activities before going. There are a number of fun things you can do that don't have lines like the interactive scavenger hunts that most don't know about. They are a great way to explore the parks and so much fun without ever needing to worry about crowds or lines.

Also if you can, take time to tour the hotels and see all the fun free activities they offer. Visiting the Wilderness Lodge to see the geyser and then watch the electrical water pageant is a lot of fun, especially if you can plan a fun themed meal there as well or visiting the Animal Kingdom to see the giraffes and eat at the restaurant there. That's a favorite activity of ours when we are in Orlando.

Disney offers so much more than just the main attractions, and I think, especially now with waits like they are, incorporating some of the other magic will be key to having a really amazing trip.

I think you will enjoy Disney. It is far less screen heavy. Personally, I like Disney better as far as the actual attractions, but it has gotten to the point for me that I don't enjoy the hassle of navigating the parks, the crowds, and the long waits, not to mention dining.

However, if you can go into it with realistic expectations and a lot of knowledge and planning, you'll have a great time, especially since you don't have any past trips to compare the new Disney to. That's probably my biggest issue. I got spoiled back when you could ride all day without ever waiting.

Here are a few key differences to keep in mind:

Dining Reservations
Universal - nice, but not required, and can almost always be made last minute
Disney - must have and need to make them months in advance

Distance / Park Hopping
Universal - parks are close together, quick to change parks, 5 to 20 minutes and you can be in the other park
Disney - parks are spread very far apart, can take hours to change parks, personally, I've not found it worth doing as it eats into so much of your time

Example
10 to 15 minutes to walk to bus stop
15 to 30 minute wait for the bus
20 to 40 minute ride on the bus to other park if direct bus available (not sure if they are offering direct park to park buses right now or not. At times, they have made you go to another location and switch, like a hotel or Disney Springs, so that adds even more time.)
10 to 15 minutes to get through security and to the new park
10 to 15 minutes to get to the new attraction inside the new park

So easily, 2 hours of your time wasted switching parks, and those numbers are very reserved. I've seen it take over 3 hours before. It really depends on security lines, and if you happen to catch a bus or have to wait 45 minutes for one to show up. Also, the distance and traffic between the two parks you are switching between. Some can take up to 45 minutes or more just for the bus ride with traffic.

Within the parks, everything is spread farther out as well at Disney, so it takes longer to get around the parks from one attraction to another at Disney, than it does at Universal. Just something to keep in mind.

Security
Universal - one check point then all the resort except the hotels is within the screened area
Disney - there is separate security for each park, so you will have to go back through it for every new place you visit

Rides (proportionally, not total)
Universal - Has more screens, more spinning, more jerking, more fast and intense rides, to make you motion sick
Disney - Has more slow moving, mom can ride holding baby, pleasant rides.

That's part of what I love about Disney. Almost nothing makes sick there and everything does at Universal. I have to use a patch at Universal, but I've never needed one at Disney.

Doesn't mean Disney doesn't have thrill rides because it does, but proportionally, you'll find more family rides.

Shows
Universal - Has only two real sit down shows left and a number of smaller impromptu street shows.
Disney - Has way more high quality large productions, but less of the smaller impromptu street shows

Parades
Universal - Only one parade and outside of the special themed parades, its just ok
Disney - Has multiple large parades that are all really great

Characters
Universal - There are not all that many, there is usually no wait to a very minimal wait, usually an informal setting, just on the street or in their gift shop
Disney - Characters are as popular as rides and get just as long lines to see, but there are tons of them, and most have special themed meet-n-greet sets and everything, so keep that in mind if there is someone you really want to see

Hope this helps give you some perspective on what to expect.

Also, do some googling on little known park activities before going. There are a number of fun things you can do that don't have lines like the interactive scavenger hunts that most don't know about. They are a great way to explore the parks and so much fun without ever needing to worry about crowds or lines.

Also if you can, take time to tour the hotels and see all the fun free activities they offer. Visiting the Wilderness Lodge to see the geyser and then watch the electrical water pageant is a lot of fun, especially if you can plan a fun themed meal there as well or visiting the Animal Kingdom to see the giraffes and eat at the restaurant there. That's a favorite activity of ours when we are in Orlando.

Disney offers so much more than just the main attractions, and I think, especially now with waits like they are, incorporating some of the other magic will be key to having a really amazing trip.
Thank you so much for the very thorough comparison, especially the break-down of the travel times at Disney! I do have park hoppers, but I will need to go back to the hotel each day for downtime due to a disability, so I will have the travel time regardless - I'm planning to park hop at the end of the afternoon break. I will miss being able to ride the Hogwarts express between the two Universal parks though!!! That's park hopping with style :D

Do you know where I can find info about the scavenger hunts? Those sound really fun!

The Scavenger Hunts

Just did a google search and not seeing any great blogs out there about these. I don't recommend YouTube because you don't want to ruin the surprise, so I'll do my best to explain here.

It looks like there are two running right now. There's one in Magic Kingdom and one in Epcot. They have both been around for years. Looks like the one in MK is the same one I did 5+ years ago, but the one in Epcot has changed names and characters a number of times. At the moment, it is Duck Tails themed, but in the past, it has been Perry the Platypus and Kim Possible themed as well to give you an idea.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/epcot/ducktales-play-app/
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/magic-kingdom/pirates-adventures/

I'm reaching way back in my memory, and with smart phones now, this may all be upgraded a bit, but in general, this is how it works.

You go to the scavenger hunt attraction location in the park, and you sign up for one of the adventures. At least, at the MK location, there are multiple different adventures you can go on, so you can play more than once. Each adventure will take you approximately 15 to 30 minutes to complete depending on how easily you solve the clues, move through crowds, and how often you get distracted.

The scavenger hunt feels very much like playing an escape room game, only with all of Adventure Land or World Showcase as your room. You are given a starting clue and have to solve different riddles and puzzles around the park. It's all very interactive which is really cool, so you might turn a nob and set off a special effect or bring an animatronic to life. Like an escape room, you move through the series of puzzles at your own pace. You don't stay in one place. It is a lot of walking from one gift shop or attraction to another and possibly back tracking when you realize you passed A earlier when you were solving a different clue and now need to head back that way. I know every clue also did not feature a special effect. The "big" stuff was usually saved until the final solving of the whole mini game, but they are all get out there and interact with your surroundings. Also, there aren't any clues that require you to actually ride anything. It's all out where you can get to it without getting in a line.

I remember we did a bunch of these in MK on a Christmas trip when the lines and crowds were bad. It was a great way to spend the time, and the interactiion with the different props was a lot of fun. It was like, "I've passed that barrel 5 times today and never knew it was actually part of this secret game until now, cool." We'd set something off, and others would stop and try to figure out what was going on. Like how did you just do that? Some clues we found easy, and others we struggled with, and some we struggled with because crowds were in the way of where we needed to be. Crowds will definately effect how long each hunt takes.

We both did the MK Scavenger hunts as adults and had a great time. It's a great way to take in little details you'd normally miss and spend some time in the parks that doesn't require standing in a line.

Thank you so much for the very thorough comparison, especially the break-down of the travel times at Disney! I do have park hoppers, but I will need to go back to the hotel each day for downtime due to a disability, so I will have the travel time regardless - I'm planning to park hop at the end of the afternoon break. I will miss being able to ride the Hogwarts express between the two Universal parks though!!! That's park hopping with style :D

Do you know where I can find info about the scavenger hunts? Those sound really fun!

Definitely look up the travel times for the buses between your resort and the different parks if you plan on going back each day, so you can plan accordingly. I know Touring Plans used to have a chart in their book with all the travel times that was very useful.

Again, resort hotels much bigger than Universal. You aren't going to hop out of bed and be at the gate in 10 minutes like you can staying at Hardrock.

Make sure to plan travel time from hotel room to closest bus stop which could be a 15 to 20 minute walk. Then plan wait time for bus to arrive, and then finally add in the travel time from the Touring Plans chart, and don't forget, you'll still need to add getting from the bus, through security, and to wherever it is in the park you are heading.

So many people miss dinner reservations because they don't give themselves enough time. I've even come close to missing reservations a few times myself when buses were late. I once had 3 hours before my dinner reservation and arrived 10 minutes late.

Edited to Add:
They use to let you pick your room from a map, and I would always choose one closest to the bus stop since the walks can be ridiculous at some of the resorts. They are all spread out as much or more than Cabana Bay is.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter