Germany August 2010

abdalums

Earning My Ears
Is anyone booked for the Germany August 16, 2010 adventure? My DH and I are traveling with our DD (13) and DS (11.) Any trip tips from other families who have done this trip in the past? This may be our last ABD trip. Our kids summer schedules are getting very hard to work around. (I'm nuked if they cancel and change dates again this year.) Hoping to connect with other families with kids at similar ages.

ABD Viva Italia July 2009
ABD Wyoming July 2008
ABD Ireland July 2007

We are looking to book Germany for july 30-aug 8th. (school begins mid aug for us) This will be the 3rd ABD trip for us - Knights and Lights and South Africa. Both fantastic. Our kids are 13 and 11 and I hope not too old to enjoy this fairy tale trip. Have you heard much about the adventure? We were trying to decide btw Germany and Ireland.

We did the Christmas Market trip in 2009--due to the weather and the holiday season the trip was different in many respects from the summer trip. That said--we did an extra day in the beginning (Heidelberg) and a couple of days extra at the end in Munich (gave us time to train to Salzburg--easy train trip and a great day, well worth it--you can walk to the main part of old town and up to the Castle from the train station). Also gave us time to see the Deutches Museum in the Isar River in Munich--a huge and very interesting museum. So if school schedules and cost permit, I'd recommend that. We still talk about the trip--many special moments and great scenery, food, guides...I did a quick review of our trip which is not in the trip report but search for our log in name and you'll find it, or scroll down (this site is not nearly as busy as the other discussion board sites, so not so hard to find past topics!)

Thanks so much for the info. Our past ABD trips were amazing- so we are expecting good things this summer. My concern was just the ages. But having said that, there were very few kids on our S.Africa trip and our guides made everything spectacular regardless.

So you stayed in Munich but took the train to Salzburg? It is a day trip? That sounds great .

The train station was a quick trolley from the hotel--and our guide, Steph, helped us get train tickets on line so we just hopped on and under 1.5 hours later were walking in Salzburg. The trains run late, so we had plenty of time that day to see the main sights--even dinner at what is purported to be Europe's oldest restaurant.

I was on the summer ABD tour of Germany and it was wonderful:goodvibes:love: It is a great tour for families. I traveled solo and was still amazed by the tour. My trip report can be found here and its what other ABD travelers used for ideas:goodvibes. I stayed an extra day in Heidelburg . It was truly a magical adventure:wizard:

We're considering the Germany trip this summer, it would be our first ABD having maxed out on disney world and then the cruiseline! My question is whether they provide you with a lot more information once you book? I mean about specfically what night at what hotel, what clothes to bring, any opportunity to do laundry or should we pack for 10 days, that sort of thing. I guess I"m spoiled from the cruise line forums where you can find out the more minute detail!

We're considering the Germany trip this summer, it would be our first ABD having maxed out on disney world and then the cruiseline! My question is whether they provide you with a lot more information once you book? I mean about specfically what night at what hotel, what clothes to bring, any opportunity to do laundry or should we pack for 10 days, that sort of thing. I guess I"m spoiled from the cruise line forums where you can find out the more minute detail!
Besides the fact that many people here on the ABD forum have done the Germany ABD, and *could* give you a lot of detail, you can also call ABD, even before you book. Their travel consultants are *VERY* knowledgeable about the adventures, and can and will give you info on what night you will be at what hotel (although this is also on the website under the "detailed itinerary"), what clothes to bring, what hotels have laundry facilities, etc. Give them a call! I think you'll find they'll be happy to fill you in. I've had 45 minute discussions with them about the specifics of a trip before deciding whether to book it or not. About the only thing I've found them reticent to comment on is how many people or kids of what age are signed up for the trip. :confused3

Sayhello

Like LJM23, I would also like to know about the laundry facilities. We are doing the ABD trip to Germany this June. Trying to imagine what it would be like to pack for 10 days with current airline restrictions/fees for luggage.

So glad to hear the pleasant remarks of those who have done this trip before. Thanks all!

We did the ABD to Germany in 2008. It was fabulous for all of us (kids were 10,11 and 14 then I think). One family was continuing on to the Austria trip. Steph helped them find a laundromat to do their laundry, in Munich I think. It was probably too expensive to do it at the hotel in Munich which was the most beautiful hotel I have ever stayed at (and I travel quite a bit). We all loved the fairytale aspect of the trip.

Pack enough for ten days. The free time you have you want to spend seeing Germany, not in a German laundromat. Your days will be pretty full, you'll be in touristy areas (where there aren't laundromats readily available), you can take a ton of luggage with you without a surcharge internationally, and Disney is handling your bags for you. Rewear clothes that can be rewarn (you can get two days out of a pair of pants if you don't spill). This isn't a cruise where you need to "dress for dinner" - you'll pretty much wear the same clothes each day (you might want to plan for a change on the bike riding day). Also, sometimes your freetime is pretty limited - an hour, maybe two - and you NEED to be back where you have to be to keep the group moving. No one is going to want to wait around because your jeans haven't dried yet.

You don't want the minute detail - just trust that the minute details will be taken care of. Take it as it comes and enjoy it. Its a wonderful trip.

I agree with previous poster - unlike trips where you are doing outdoor activities where you might be getting wet/dirty/really sweaty, it's pretty easy to pack lightweight summer clothes for 10 days on the ABD Germany trip - especially when you aren't lugging luggage around! (Loved that aspect of the trip, I must say!)
We went to Germany on this ABD trip in July/Aug 2008, and I do think that I hand washed a few favorite tops/underclothes in the sink because it was very warm during the days. I think we did change most days for dinner, but not really dressing up that much - just freshening up a bit (adults, not necessarily kids). I think I re-wore the same dinner clothes more than once as I wasn't in them very long. You might consider bringing 2 bathing suits per person though, as we swam a couple of days in a row both in Heidelburg & Munich (unless you don't mind putting on a damp bathing suit).
That all said, I'm sure the guides would help you find laundry facilities if you really want them - I'm sure it's not an unusual request. I would think Rothenburg or Munich might be your best bet as far as walkable facilities. You are pretty far from anything like that in Trendleburg castle, unless the bus driver is willing to tote you to town.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter