Georgia paddling video

And they would have for truancy violations. Mom had choice and she chose to let it happen then film and vilify

Good. They need to be villified and called out. Clearly, the mother's hands were tied. She had already been jailed once. That's messed up as is. A lot of parents really don't fully understand or have the financial means (hiring a lawyer, etc.) to fight these kinds of ridiculous policies. Her kid is in kindergarten. This may be her first experience with a child in public school. Often, schools use "bully" tactics like this to scare parents into compliance. She made the right call to video it.

If I were her, I would home school my kid or move out of Georgia before letting him go back to a public school in that state.

I don't think one swat is abuse.
It becomes abuse when the child is clearly hysterical, scared out of his mind at the THOUGHT of it, and when he is held down by his wrists by two grown women who are LAUGHING at his distress. It is abusive when the child is screaming for his mother to help him, and there is nothing she can do. All of that, together, will end up causing serious emotional distress, trust issues, etc. for this child. And one day, with Georgia's "super strict" gun laws, that kid will be able to get a gun, and he might just decide he really, really wants to punish those ladies who did that to him...

What a screwed up school system. Jail time for truancy? Hitting a 5 year with a paddle?

How about they use some common sense instead.

What hill billy trash. There are a thousand ways to deal with issues such as this that don't include suspension, jail time or hitting someone with a block of wood.

Good lord. SMH.

I just don't have words after looking at the Mom's facebook page and her "Justice for (the minor child)" page. Can't say I agree with paddling a 5 year old, but mom proudly posting pics of the boy shooting the bird, and other things do make it seem that the school would have a very difficult time with him.

There's no way that she was jailed for truancy because her kid missed 18 days of school due to doctor appointments for cancer concerns. No way. (ftr, I didn't read the linked story here, I read the one on my local news)

I saw this on the Today show this morning, it made cry to see that child trying to get to his mother and they were holding him back....terrible.
Yes, he ran away from an adult into the bus loop and then spit on a school official, that's horrible and dangerous, but for the principal to think the only resolution was to hit him with a paddle, makes her even worse.
The mom seemed to be stuck with her options and I feel bad for her, she felt it was her only choice.
I hope this video starts a conversation and an action to do away with corporal punishment in schools.

I gonna bet she has to go into hiding for a while after this.

The mother or the principal?
If someone is an educator with years of experience they should have the ability to deal with a child in a better way than hitting.

The principal, I feel she is going to take some serious backlash from this video.

I don't think a 5 year old should be spanked by the school system. That being said, I personally don't consider a single swat (even with a paddle) as abuse. Heck, even the quote from a PP said it has to be "habitual"

The kid was crying/screaming so he shouldn't have to suffer the punishment? Not buying it. If your child started crying and screaming because you were taking him out of a toy store, would you just let him be?

Again, I don't think 5yo's should be subject to corporal punishment in the school system. However, 8yo+ I have no problem with (with rare exception).

She said another suspension for the kid would cause her to go to jail. For the second time. Kid had "medical issues" and missed 18 days. Something doesn't add up if your kid misses for medical reasons the school should work with them to make it up or work with doctors so kid does not get punished of health is real concern

I am not for paddling in schools AT ALL. But something doesn't add up.
I have never heard of a parent being arrested because the kid missed school to go to the doctor. I have heard of court referrals, but if the parent shows up in court with the doctor notes, then she would not get arrested. Secondly, how could she be arrested for the kid's absence if he was suspended? Being suspended is unexcused, but it is not truancy.

I am not for paddling in schools AT ALL. But something doesn't add up.
I have never heard of a parent being arrested because the kid missed school to go to the doctor. I have heard of court referrals, but if the parent shows up in court with the doctor notes, then she would not get arrested. Secondly, how could she be arrested for the kid's absence if he was suspended? Being suspended is unexcused, but it is not truancy.

They showed her mug shot on Today this morning.
Here is South Florida, if your child is tardy more than a few times, they send out Social Workers to your home. I have no idea what they will do if they are absent frequently, but I don't believe its an arrest. I could be wrong , I no longer have school age children.

Heartbreaking to hear him say "help me mommy"
This kid missed 18 days of school and the mom now risks jail time, but the administrators can legally whack little 5 year olds with paddles? Seems a little backwards if you ask me.

If your child started crying and screaming because you were taking him out of a toy store, would you just let him be
Oddly enough I think now he would be taken back into the store to pick out a toy prior to leaving. He could suffer psychological trauma for being separated from a toy.

How do we know this was the "first line of defense"? Is it possible they tried other punishments that didn't stop the bad behavior?

From the way the story is being told, he seems to be a child that has behavioral issues, so I am sure this wasn't his first offense.
BUT I do not think paddling him was the right choice. Expel him from your school if you can't handle him, don't hit him.

Completely disgusting. All of it. The kid is FIVE. Geez, even if he missed 18 days of school, he's FIVE. In many states, Kindergarten isn't even mandatory. Why not just hold him back if he misses too many days and make him repeat Kindergarten?

This poor baby (and 5 is still a baby, IMO) is screaming for his mother to help him and those women are smiling and laughing at him. That makes my stomach turn. And when the mom says they don't spank him at home, the women seem surprised.

Georgia (and most of the rest of the south) really needs to move into 2016 and stop these ridiculous punishments. Gosh, if I was that mother, I would have taken my son right home and dared them to arrest me.
He's not being paddled because he missed school. His mother chose that as the form of discipline rather than face potential consequences for herself. He was being disciplined for hitting another student, running away from staff and spitting on staff. If kindergarten isn't mandatory where they live, why didn't the mother pull him out of school as an alternative?

How about the school doing some work and setting up a behavioral plan? I mean, I am not saying the kid has no blame but he is five years old. 5 year olds do stuff like that. If he was 15 and did that, completely different story. While the school has the responsibility of the child during the school day, it is up to THEM to establish successful plans to modify or curb behaviors like that. Our children's elementary school has a very active positive behavior plan in place for ALL students. They regularly remind the kids of the rules and acceptable behaviors, create incentives for them to be good school citizens and treat each other well, be respectful, etc. Every Monday, they have a "morning meeting" as a school where the principal goes over the plan again, recognizing students from each grade who showed exemplary embodiment of the 5 basic tenets, with a certificate. When school teachers and administrators encourage these kinds of positive behavior plans, the students work very hard to be successful, and thus there are rarely incidents like this one at their school (which has over 950 students from K-6th grade, by the way). There is essentially no bullying, no fighting, etc.

If a school district feels that corporal punishment is a "necessity", they are not doing their jobs to provide a safe and positive learning environment for their students.
How is the school supposed to establish a behavioral plan is the parent isn't sending the child to school? We don't know what else they tried prior to this, but we do know that the mother turned down suspension and chose to let her son be paddled. Not every child is motivated by a certificate and not every parent agrees to working with the school on a behavioral plan.

It becomes abuse when the child is clearly hysterical, scared out of his mind at the THOUGHT of it, and when he is held down by his wrists by two grown women who are LAUGHING at his distress. It is abusive when the child is screaming for his mother to help him, and there is nothing she can do. All of that, together, will end up causing serious emotional distress, trust issues, etc. for this child. And one day, with Georgia's "super strict" gun laws, that kid will be able to get a gun, and he might just decide he really, really wants to punish those ladies who did that to him...
So again, I don't agree with corporal punishment being dealt out by schools, but we're seeing a snippet of a video. The version I saw on the new was looped, so I wasn't sure how long this really went on. Some kids do throw massive screaming tantrums and then pull it together once they get what they want. Do we know if the mother asked them to stop after consenting and they refused to listen to her? For all we know she said something to rile her child up and the crying was mostly due to something she said. I seriously doubt that either of them was being held hostage. Was there a police officer standing by to arrest her if she chose suspension. I'm sure she could have elected an option other than being paddled and then enrolled him in another school before she became subject to the truancy laws.

They showed her mug shot on Today this morning.
Here is South Florida, if your child is tardy more than a few times, they send out Social Workers to your home. I have no idea what they will do if they are absent frequently, but I don't believe its an arrest. I could be wrong , I no longer have school age children.
Okay, but was she arrested because her kid missed school? Or she didn't show up in court? Or something totally unrelated?

Okay, but was she arrested because her kid missed school? Or she didn't show up in court? Or something totally unrelated?

They said she was arrested for her child missing 18 days of school and then showed the mug shot, was the mug shot from that arrest, I can't answer that.

From the GA DOE (gadoe.org)
The GA law has this:
School days missed as a result of an out of school suspension shall not count as
unexcused days for the purpose of determining student truancy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter