General tent camping questions

29apr00

Momma to a Princess and a little Prince!
We've booked a tent site at the state park for a weekend coming up. Not that we are tent camping when we head to the Ft in December, but just thought it would be fun to do and a good way to help introduce the kids to a bit of outdoors stuff before we head down to the Cabins.

I need a packing list and some ideas for food for 2-1/2 days!! :confused3 We will have a small cooking stove, but limited refridgeration, just a large cooler with ice. What else do we need? Are paper/plastic eating utentisils better than regular dishes? Are you supposed to bring your own toilet paper? :rotfl: there is a general store in the park, but i'm sure their prices are very high. Do you take a small Lamp?? or just flash lights?

Thanks!!

Jennifer and Family

We've booked a tent site at the state park for a weekend coming up. Not that we are tent camping when we head to the Ft in December, but just thought it would be fun to do and a good way to help introduce the kids to a bit of outdoors stuff before we head down to the Cabins.

I need a packing list and some ideas for food for 2-1/2 days!! :confused3 We will have a small cooking stove, but limited refridgeration, just a large cooler with ice. What else do we need? Are paper/plastic eating utentisils better than regular dishes? Are you supposed to bring your own toilet paper? :rotfl: there is a general store in the park, but i'm sure their prices are very high. Do you take a small Lamp?? or just flash lights?

Thanks!!

Jennifer and Family

Always bring toilet paper!

Breakfasts: Pop-Tarts and fresh fruit
Lunch: PBJ, Pringles
Dinner: Hot Dogs/sausages, Pringles

I like a propane Coleman Lantern for general lighting, a big Maglite and a pencil Maglite.

I like paper plates and real silverware. Glass Plus and paper towels work well for almost all cleaning duties.

Show the kids a minimal camp, then they'll really appreciate the luxury at FW!

Here is a link to a thread that might help. We always take a lantern, but we usually camp when sunset is fairly early, so you need a lantern to extend the hours (or go to bed at 7pm!). I'd say a big YES on paper/plastic. And it's always a good idea to bring your own TP just in case... better to have and not need, than to need and not have!

:santa:

A fan, extension cord and a power strip so you can use 2 fans. Eat tacos, chicken on the grill, hambugers, and yes hambuger helper. Take pancake mix that is pre-made you only add water and shake.

Don't discount tent camping in Florida in December. We've done it for the last 5 or 6 years and it's great.

Just for future reference.

Thanks guys!

So the camping weeked is upon us! The plan is for me to go grocery shopping friday after work, run down and pick up the kids from my grandmothers (they are spending 2 days with her before school starts next week, and how great, she lives 15 minutes from the campground!) then head over. Dh is going to the site straight after work to set up the tent.

-tent
-canopy
-sleeping bags
-lantern and flash lights
-cooking stove (it even has an oven!)
-2 coolers
-TRASH BAGS
-paper plates and utensils
-kids bikes for trails
-fishing poles and tackle
-bug spray
-bathing suits for beach :banana:
-first aid kit (small kids....you never know what can happen)

Food ??? I'm still stuck on that.....i need to get a menu made up before we head out on friday. I know i need chocolate, marshmallows and grahm crackers. :thumbsup2

Hamburger Helper is always easy, fast and is good.

A little broom and dust pan always come handy.

Friday night
Burgers on the grill (always use them first because they don't last long in the cooler)
and premade pasta salad

Saturday B-fast
Eggs and bacon on grill
Camping toast

Saturday lunch

sandwiches (PB&J or luncheon meat)
Finish pasta salad

Saturday Dinner
Marinated Chicken on grill or cook on stove (by dinner time the chicken will probably not be frozen anymore in the cooler)

Sunday Breakfast
Pancakes - I always use the Just-add-water kind while camping
I cook them on the stove with a cooking grill and lots of Pam

Sunday lunch
Sandwiches again and chips

Have fun and good luck!

I also like to take an EZ up canopy to go over my food prep and eating area. If you do take a canopy, make sure you takes some good quality tent stakes to keep the wind from blowing the canopy over.

Also some lawn chairs, I hate sitting on concrete benches and wooden picnic tables.

Poohbeck - your menu is pretty close to what we do.

1st night - hot dogs/sausages with pre-prepared pasta salad

I usually freeze the rest of the meat for:
- grilled steak (maybe kabobs if I'm organized)
- tacos: either ground turkey or beef
- chicken pockets (put chix tenders, various veggies, potatoes, and seasonings in a tin foil pocket in the fire)
- hamburger/tuna helper
- chicken and dumplings in the dutch oven
- lasagna in the dutch oven

If you google some "camping recipes" you can find some great ideas for desserts. Bananas/chocolate, brown bears, etc.

You will definitely need stuff to make a campfire and charcoal to BBQ.

WOW you guys really go all out!! I was trying to figure out how angry my kids would be eating hotdogs and spaghettio's for 4 meals straight! :rotfl:

I think this 1st time camping is going to be a lot more work than i originally expected. Espically with just the bare minimum of supplies that we have. BUt i'm gonna stick it out and maybe we'll have so much fun we'll do it again....with more supplies!

Yes, we have a good sturdy canvas canopy. Lawn chairs are added to the list!

:rotfl: yeah....but we aren't camping at Ft Wilderness this time! This is our practice run up in IN.

:rotfl: yeah....but we aren't camping at Ft Wilderness this time! This is our practice run up in IN.

As you're heading to your camp, scout out the nearest CiCi's pizza, local chinese buffet, or a Golden Corral. Just in case something doesn't work out with the cooking. Don't sweat it if some things fall apart around the seams. Some of the "disasters" we have had camping has been our most memorable family moments. It's all good!

:thumbsup2 we're only 10 minutes from home....so if it all fails on us, we're safe to call it quits and head for home. BUt we're gonna do our best.

I checked out the camping recipe thread! :eek: CROCK POT!! Why did i not think of that! that's a great idea! I think i'm slowing getting a menu together that will be good and easy, without making the kids eat hotdogs and hamburgers for 3 days! :cool1:

Just remember the crock pot will only work if your site has electricity!

That's why the old cast iron dutch oven is the preferred cooking method for alot of tent campers. (My DH, the Scout leader, for one!)

Good Luck!

Don't sweat it if some things fall apart around the seams. Some of the "disasters" we have had camping has been our most memorable family moments. It's all good!

This is great advice. Something almost always goes "wrong" when we're camping, but we roll with it and it's always a good story when we think back on it! Have a great time!:goodvibes

thanks everyone! We're all packed up and ready to go tomorrow after work.

trying to anticipate the things that may go wrong, we've decided to bring dinner in on Friday rather than try and cook at camp. we don't get off work until 5pm then i need to stop and get ice, then go pick up the kids 1/2 hr away before we head to the site and get everything set up....and it takes FOREVER to get charcoal to warm up....so we're just going to get some fried chicken. but we are doing pancakes and sausage on satuday AM, then hot dogs and spaghettios for lunch, and i'm bringing a roast in the crock pot for dinner saturday! :thumbsup2 LOVING the camping recipe thread!!

Sunday will be muffins before we check out! Excited!:banana:

Have fun! Take lots of pics and then share them with us. (if you like of course :goodvibes )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter