• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gemmybear83's Magical Christmas Journey Home Day 1 - London

gemmybear83

<font color=royalblue>I would blame it all on Bob<
Cast:

Gemma - 25 (going on 5) big Disney fan, and needed a disney fix following our WDW trip in Jan

Henry - 25, also a big disney fan and has been converted to frequent disney holidays!:lmao:

Day 1 - London

We got up early in the morning (6ish :scared: ) to finish off our packing. We made sure Flik was packed safely in my case!

001.jpg

Did a last minute check around the house to make sure heating was on anti freeze setting, lights were on timers etc (I hate doing all of this stuff!) and we were off! We packed up the car and left at 7am to drive to Newcastle airport. I had prebooked long stay parking at the airport at www.purpleparking.co.uk, and got £7.00 off with quidco discount :thumbsup2 . I was a bit nervous about finding the long stay car park as we usually get the metro to the airport (our version of the tube), but it was very easy and I could not believe how busy the long stay car park was we had to drive around for a while to find a space!

There was a little bus stop next to car park with a phone that you rang to request the courtesy shuttle bus to get us to the airport terminal - and he arrived in 30 seconds yippee!

It only took us a couple of minutes to get there and we were dropped off right outside the airport entrance. We then wandered along to the British Airways check in. I had already checked in the day before online so I just needed to drop the bags off. There were a few numptys in front of us in the queue who didnt seem to understand the whole checking in process and had to be taken aside :confused: , so it took a few mins longer. check in staff were very pleasant and they laughed when it came up on screen that our flight had cost a £1! (Courtesy of BA following a cancelled Orlando flight).

We then went through security, and into departures where we had a couple of danishes which were yummy. It was cold outside but at least it was sunny:

002.jpg

003.jpg

We got called for our flight at 8:40 so wandered along to the gate, I was surprised how busy the gate was as I thought we would just be on a little propeller plane!

Then came the annoucement our flight was delayed :scared: because or poor weather aroudn Heathrow. We eventually took off about an hour late at 10:30ish and the flight took about 45 mins. We were given a hot bacon and egg panini which was surprisingly tasty.

Arrived at terminal 5, which was very nice and new - our luggage had arrived at the luggage reclaim before we did :thumbsup2 and we were off!

Wandered down to the tube station and used our oyster cards for the journey. It took about an hour to get to kings cross tube station but it went quite quickly, and the journey only cost £2 - bargain!

We came out of the tube station (I hate the fact that kings cross tube does not have a lift - its really annoying for all the people using the eurostar etc!), and walked along to find our hotel for the night the Premier Inn Euston. It was about a 2-3 mins walk away from St Pancras on Euston Road so very handy :) . Check in staff were very nice and we were given a room on the 5th floor even though we were early. Room was very nice (much much nicer then travelodges), and had a really nice comfy bed. Our room was tripple glazed so we could not hear the noise from below.

026.jpg

We left our bags and went off to go and visit the Tower of London......

Eee, Gemmy I'm so excited you're back!!!!!!! Can't wait till you get to DLRP!!!!!!!!!

We got the tube to the Tower of London, I had prebooked this on www.365tickets.com and got Quidco discount so it only cost £11 each compared to £16 on the Tower of London website.

008.jpg

We both really really enjoyed this, the TofL is a world heritage site and it was really interesting. I really liked seeing the crown jewels (no piccies allowed I'm afraid!).

We wandered around for a couple of hours:

017-1.jpg

018.jpg

010.jpg

The ravens scared me!
012.jpg

Exhibition in the white tower:
019.jpg

024.jpg

We also watched the ice skaters, we fancied having a go but knowing me I would end up injurying myself :laughing: :
007.jpg

We finished looking around at 4:30 and by this time we were really tired :faint: so we decided to got for an early dinner.....

We went to the giraffe restaurant in Marleybone, had a very funny moment when we were carried along Oxford street with the Christmas shopping pedestrian traffic!:scared1:

I like the atmosphere in Giraffe its very upbeat and the food is tasty too!:)

http://www.giraffe.net/files/giraffe_highst_menu.pdf

I had the chilli beef lasagne followed by banana waffle split (both very tasty!), and Henry had the herby chicken schnitzel blt burger and the swiss mountain chocolate cheesecake (again lovely!).

We were so tired we just went back to the room and watched xfactor! But we were so sleepy I didnt even make it until the second half! But we did have a big day to look forward too............ :hyper: :yay: :hyper:

Wow. London looks amazing...I really should go back one day, haven't been since I stopped working there in 2006!

what a great start and I cannot believe how much you fitted in before you left the UK, I would have been shattered !!!

Sounds like you had a mini hol;iday before your DLP trip.

I'm impressed you lasted as long as you did :)

A great day. :goodvibes We stayed in London for a few days before our first DLRP visit and enjoyed visiting the Tower too, we also got passes to go back later that evening and watched them lock it up for the night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter