GCH Room Types

Ldat7

Earning My Ears
Hi all. We are planning on staying at the GCH late August. I'm curious -- what is your favorite room type? I know normal standard is a view of the parking lot, which doesn't seem that great. I am hesitant to book DtD rooms since there will be construction during those dates. Is the Pool/Theme park upgrade worth it? My gut is telling me to just go for the Woods/Courtyard since it's only slightly more than the standard price.

I have stayed there booking the theme park/pool view the last 3 times and I think it depends on where it is. Our first trip we were near the end of the hotel and had a great view of Paradise Pier and could see the back part of World of Color from the balcony. You could even feel the heat from the flames. The third time we were further away and blocked by trees so the view wasn't as "good" of the pier. The other issue is if you want to have your balcony door open you hear the constant sound of the park. The big draw back was the distance to everything in the hotel and getting into the park. The 2nd year we had one over the pool which i liked better in the evenings with the piped in cricket sounds. it was much more relaxing and seemed to have a bigger balcony.

That said, if I were to stay there again I would probably go for the woods/courtyard view. As I get older, I don't want to have to walk as far to get to food and the parks.

Keep in mind that they do sell way more "standard" rooms than they have inventory for...so there is a possibility that booking a standard room is not a guaranteed parking lot view.

My favorite is the Courtyard View. Nice and quiet and there is something kinda cool about the monorail shooting through
My least favorite is DTD view...Too noisy especially on weekends with the street performers. If you like to hear that hustle and bustle you may have a different opinion, but I like the quiet...plus those rooms are a hike.
The only decent park view room are at the far end upper floors overlooking Paradise Bay...those too are a hike. The rest of the park views are just glimpses to something inside the park. There are few sweeping vistas available.
Pool view is just that...while better then looking at the parking lot, nothing special IMO.

Thanks for the input. I'm leaning toward the Woods/Courtyard since it sounds like other categories may have a significantly longer walk. What are the odds of getting a king room if we check in very early (probably 7-7:30am) and reiterate our request? It's for our anniversary, so it'd kind of put a damper on things if we have to squish into a queen.

...I'm leaning toward the Woods/Courtyard since it sounds like other categories may have a significantly longer walk.
Woods/Courtyard is a good upgrade, essentially eliminating all the Standard rooms at the front of the hotel.
All room types can have a long walk, so request to be near the elevators (near main lobby or Napa Rose).
...What are the odds of getting a king room if we check in very early (probably 7-7:30am) and reiterate our request? It's for our anniversary, so it'd kind of put a damper on things if we have to squish into a queen.
Not only is the bed larger (obviously), the increased open floor space makes the room feel larger.
It is disappointing that DLR does not allow booking by bed type (which is possible at many WDW resorts).
Checking in early is a good strategy, because more King rooms will be available (unassigned) and registration will not be busy (so the CM will be more willing to spend extra time on your room assignment).

A few (perhaps obvious) tips for checking in:
  • First: let the CM know you are celebrating your anniversary (they usually ask)
  • Reiterate your request for a King bed, and make it clear you are willing to wait
  • DLR registration CMs do NOT accept tips

Hi all. We are planning on staying at the GCH late August. I'm curious -- what is your favorite room type? I know normal standard is a view of the parking lot, which doesn't seem that great. I am hesitant to book DtD rooms since there will be construction during those dates. Is the Pool/Theme park upgrade worth it? My gut is telling me to just go for the Woods/Courtyard since it's only slightly more than the standard price.

I agree that Woods/Courtyard is probably best bet if you are worried about standard view. That said, the std view room I had looked out over the drive up to the hotel and really wasn't that bad.

As far as the DtD rooms- I do want to point out that we don't know exactly what the extent of the construction will be by late August but regardless it's a good ways away from the GCH DtD rooms. Like the other end of DtD....

Thanks for the input. I'm leaning toward the Woods/Courtyard since it sounds like other categories may have a significantly longer walk. What are the odds of getting a king room if we check in very early (probably 7-7:30am) and reiterate our request? It's for our anniversary, so it'd kind of put a damper on things if we have to squish into a queen.

You can put in a request...but i do know that they hold those for business clients first if there is a group that is booking the convention spaces. If there is no group in house or a need to have that many kings in their room block they then release the kings for general sales...which is one reason they do not to advance room guarantees. Convention groups often have specific room requirements as a condition of the RFP to book that property.

We loved the courtyard view. It was peaceful and fun to see the monorail zip through.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter