Gatwick Hilton - no family rooms available

Hi ,
I may be wrong but in the new Frequent Virgin brochure (which we received today!) I think it says twilight check-in is only in operation during the summer months.

LOL Richard!!! Did you HAVE to tell me this?!! LOL!!!

I think that was the original plan, but after several emails form DIS members they decided to keep it open over the Winter.

But Who Knows? ;)

Oh that's great! I'm sure we will both enjoy the extra Luxury of the Hilton! :D

Richard,

There is a whole thread about the twilight check in some way back. I E-mailed Virgin and they confirmed that the Twilight check in would be open all year round ('indefinately' was their word!)

The current 'normal' Virgin brochure has no restrictive dates.

Tony

Hi Mazzy,
I don't know how long it is since you last went from Gatwick but IMHO leaving it until 11.30 to go to the terminal is cutting it too fine.
There can be quite a delay at the first security point and then you still have to take the shuttle to the Satelite and Virgin begin boarding an hour before departure. You also now have a chance of being pulled out at the gate for more security checks. if you are very laid back you could probably do it but the adrenaline might be better saved for the coasters! LOL
Carol

LOL Carol!!! :p

Thanks for the information. We haven't actually flown from Gatwick before, as we live only 30 mins drive from Manchester Airport. BUT as Virgin don't fly from Manchester in the Winter and we wanted to go at Xmas time, we had no choice but to go from Gatwick :rolleyes:

I didn't realise you had to get a shuttle to the Virgin boarding gate, is that a bus or a monorail type shuttle? What time would you say we should arrive at the first security point at Departures? I guess I'm used to Manchester where you go through Departures and you are there at the boarding gate practically straight away!

As Gatwick is unknown to us, I would appreciate any info you could give me as I am the kind of person who hates rushing, I would much rather sit around for longer and know I have plenty of time! BTW, BTMR is the 'biggest' coaster I will go on, so not a lover of adrenaline! ;)

Mazzy, the departure lounge at Gatwick is huge, with loads of shops etc.

Gatwick website:

http://www.baa.co.uk/main/airports/gatwick/terminal_information/south_terminal_frame.html

The shuttle is a monorail thingy which takes you to a circular 'satelite' where the gates are.

It took us about 1/2 hour to clear the security to get through to departures. We checked in about 7:15am and then went and had breakfast in the Food Village. We then had a wonder round the shops etc. So it must have been about 10:30am when we went through to the departure lounge for our 12:30 flight. The time seemed to go really quickly though :)

Hi Mazzy - a good point there by Carol!

I had forgotten that you've not been from Gatwick before - you wont be bored, that's for sure, there is so much there!

One thing - dont be fooled into thinking becuase it's Boxing Day it wont be busy - we've been on the flight your going on and Christmas Day, Boxing Day or whatever - it makes no difference, in fact the airport may even be busier with people escaping for some sun.

When we flew on Boxing Day (our very first trip to Orlando) we got to check - in at 6-30, just as they opened. Our flight wasnt till 11-30 but it soon went. I know when we went in May, they were pulling people randomly out of the line to go for an extra bag search, so you may want to bear that in mind too.

Hi Mazzy,
Gatwick is a nice airport but quite large. It has 2 Terminals (North & South) and Virgin go from the South Terminal which is connected to the Hilton by a covered walkway. This is open at the sides so you won't get wet but it will be cold.
When you get into the Terminal the Virgin Check-in is on the far left side. There are several check-in desks serving all Virgin flights. Since Sept 11 everyone joins a main queue then goes to the first available agent. If you use Twilight there may only be 1 desk open.
After you have checked in or come from your Hotel there is an upper Concourse with loads of shops, places to eat etc but if you stay on the check-in level and go thru passport control you will be in the Departure lounge which is also on 2 floors and has just as many shops & places to eat but also has a big Duty free shop. There are plenty of overhead monitors which tell you to wait in lounge or "go to gate" but there are no audio announcements except for people who are about to miss their flight!
When the "go to gate " comes up for your flight you go down a passageway to a Monorail Shuttle which only takes a couple of minutes to get to the Sattelite Gates. There are toilets and a snack bar if you have to wait to board.
Virgin start boarding about an hour before departure. Business Class and Premium Economy go first (if they wish!) followed by people with small children and passengers needing assistance.
They then board everyone else in blocks starting from the rear.
If they are running on time (and they are pretty good) they like to have the cabin doors shut at least 10 mins before departure time. It doesn't always go this smoothly of course but in March we pulled away from the gate to the minute!
If you've used Twilight you might like to consider leaving the Hotel at LEAST an hour and a half before flight time. Add time on if you want to eat breakfast in the Terminal or plan to use Duty Free or look in the shops.
If there's anything else you would like to know just ask away,
Carol

:cool:

Mazzy,

I use the Gatwick Hilton every time I fly to Orlando.

First - the travel firms that offer discounts at the Hilton are assigned a certain number of rooms, with Hilton holding back rooms for direct bookings. Try booking with Hilton directly, they may well be holding back family rooms, though not necessarily at a discount.

Second - Hilton has a golf cart to transfer disabled and elderly guests into the terminal - just ask at the concierge desk the night before. No cost, other than a tip to the driver.

Third - there is another hotel at the north terminal (sorry, can't remember name). Not quite as convenient as you will have to use the monorail that connects the two terminals.

Andrew

Originally posted by Andrew Bichard
Third - there is another hotel at the north terminal (sorry, can't remember name). Not quite as convenient as you will have to use the monorail that connects the two terminals.

Andrew

The hotel is called Le Meridien and it's a bit cheaper than the hilton

Gosh, what can I say???? THANKYOU to everyone for all your tips and advice, I now have a clear idea of what will greet me at Gatwick! :D

I wasn't expecting to be boarding a monorail to get to the gate, so what with the added security checks as well I think we will aim to be at the first security point for Departures for 10.30 am and we should be OK.

Andrew - thanks for the tip re the Golf Cart, I will keep that in mind in case I need it. I did look on the hilton website for family rooms but they didn't have any available either but going off the price of their double rooms on the website I don't think I would want to know the price of the family rooms! ;)

Janice - thanks for the warning, I don't know what I expected really, on Xmas Day, it's all new to me! ;)

Carol - thanks for the descriptive, I was already in Gatwick whilst reading it, it's a big help! :D

Tim and Neil - thanks for the links, but for some reason, nothing is coming up in the box on the left hand side of the home page, it is just blank, so there is nothing for me to click on! Probably my ancient computer can't cope with it! :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter