Garmin

believe

DIS Veteran
I just purchased a Garmin 201. I have read the book but am a bit confused on how to 'map' out your path. Does anyone use this function? If so, how?

Thanks

I moved this from the main WISH thread to the Events/Competition since I know there are many Garmin users on this thread.

I hope you can get responses from some of them. I don't use this feature with mine.

Wow, I would have figured someone to have jumped in and given some advice. I thought we had a lot of "Garmin-ites" here.

Well, ok, believe...I asked my technogeek husband and here's his response... :surfweb: (We both have the 201), "The 301 has the capability for mapping your course. The 201 shows your route taken when you download your history into your computer." I'm thinking (after reading the book) in the map mode , "mark location" would probably be used by someone like MelR who does adventure races and has to get from point A to point B and then return? Just guessing. Does that help any? :confused3

It should map automatically--basically creating a map of where you went. At least I think that is what the 201 can do. But what do I know--I just press buttons and go and hope for the best.

I tend not to read manuals.

Thanks for the replies. I will probably not use the function, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on something great to use.

believe, I have to tell you that I was thinking about you at the Crescent City Classic on Saturday. After researching your question and learning about the "return to location" function, I realized (after the fact) that we could have USED that function to find our car after the race!! :lmao:

While running, the mode button will show the map you've run adn the arrow buttons will zoom you in or out. Ther is also an option wher you can place a marker on your map. I don't remember how to get to this, but can check.

Also, you can upload your runs to this site

GPS Visualizer

and it will put your run on a street or topo map. Very cool!

I just got a 205 and have used it a few times. I love it!!! I'm still learning how to do things--but unfortunately I just push buttons and hope for the best too. At least it uploads to the computer very flawlessly. I'm curious about the pace though.....that is something I am concerned about as I train for the Minnie. Is it just really behind? I mean, I feel like I'm going pretty fast and look down and it says 14.40 and then after I slow down a bit it will read 9:50 and then I think I am nuts. I guess it just takes a while to catch up--does it take various readings at different intervals. Just curious if anyone has any insight. I think my overall pace turns out fine after I finish and it gives me an average but I would love to know how fast I am going WHEN I am doing it. Thanks for the help. I really do love that thing!!

deb - It depends on how you have it set. Ther are instantaneus readings and averaging. ALso, it depends on what screen you look at. I keep mine on lap (which is set to auto lap every mile). then I see my average pace for each mile. If you look at the first screen, it's instantaneuos, to the degree you have set it. You may have it averaged more.

I am "thinking" of figuring out the computer thing with this "new fangled" toy I have -- 201 not the 300 series.

I am puzzled about HOW to actually physically hook the danged thing to the computer. Is there a special cable I need? I thought somewhere it was said that you don't need to purchase anything to hook up to a computer and load info from your Garmin. It puzzles me and I am way to lazy to figure it out myself. I get ovewhelmed when trying to get it myself and tend to stop trying then.

Can anyone give me the gist of this techno stuff?
:confused3

Tiger Lilly-- You need a USB cord to connect it from the base to the computer. I have a 205 and it came with both the recharging base and the little cord that plugs into the USB port of the computer to download the data and charge it up.

Lily, There is a cable that goes from the charger to teh USB. It should have come with. PLugs in right next to where the power plugs into teh "cradle."

Thanks so for your help. You know I had a special DIS PM'r who took me through the real rough stuff. I needed the kindergarden version.

I've got it on the computer and my Garmin loaded into it. I see my workout for today and my history has time/mileage but no maps. Progress is happening!

This could get interesting.

So who will take me through Basic lessons now?
:teeth:

I LOVE this place!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter