Garage sale question - tagging clothes

Colinsmom

DIS Veteran
We've decided to move this summer, so are planning a garage sale in May to get rid of all of our excess. I was wondering how to tag clothes such that it is quick and easy (and cheap) but so that the tags do not easily fall off. I don't like the idea of straight pins (ouch) and safety pins are more work and a little more money.

Any suggestions from the veterans??

TIA!!

Colinsmom said:
We've decided to move this summer, so are planning a garage sale in May to get rid of all of our excess. I was wondering how to tag clothes such that it is quick and easy (and cheap) but so that the tags do not easily fall off. I don't like the idea of straight pins (ouch) and safety pins are more work and a little more money.

Any suggestions from the veterans??

TIA!!

I always use straight pins, but I pin from the inside. Meaning I start the pin on the inside of the clothing item so it ends on the inside. Less poking that way. My kids also have a little tykes chalkboard that I use to write YARD SALE on. Underneath that I write "All clothing tagged with pins, please be careful." That way people are aware that they are there. Stick pins also make it not as easy for someone to switch the tag on you. I have had people switch a .05 tag with a 5.00 tag when I used masking tape. Do they not think I am going to know that I did not put .05 on a complete Gymboree outfit? Please! :sad2:

I've always used the little circles that you buy. I write them up in advance .25, .50 or whatever and then stick them on. I have never had a problem with them coming off.

I use the little stickers too. If it is a group of items such as small toys, mugs, kids underwear/socks/tights, I put it in a box and then label the box with how much each item is. I also put that info where I am sitting so I remember. I have also tried using colored dots and then using signs that tell how much the dots are, but that seems to be confusing for some people at first. Although it is alot less work. I usually don't have them come off, unless things get busy and clothing is sorted through multiple times. I went to a few garage sales today where alot of items weren't marked at all! Too much work for me to ask how much things are.

I post a sign stating All Shirts ...... All Pants ...... All Dresses ...... unless otherwise marked. The only things I mark more are a few outfits I hang and maybe some nicer pieces that again I hang on hangers. Then I put the sign on the hanger.

I have found out that around here if you mark each item, most of our customers will just try to change the price to something cheaper. It is not worth the hassel or extra work for me.

I just did that today, but I didn't tag the clothes. I just piled them on a blanket or table by price. It worked great, people just dug through. I had most clothes at a dollar and on group at 50c. They really sold at that price, and I felt in the long run I made more by selling them low and having less to take to goodwill when the sale was over.
Of course, all of the garage sale money went in the Disney fund for the trip. :Pinkbounc

I also group smaller items in one-gallon or quart-sized bags; socks, tights, undershirts etc in the same sizes and sell them for one price. I write the price and sizes on the bags with a Sharpie.

My extended family usually all have a garage sale together and we pile all the clothes on a big table and put Wal-mart bags out. Then we put a big sign that says clothes $3 a bag or whatever price. Anything we think is worth more we hang up and tag. Then we place the hanging rack away from the table. This works really well and saves a lot of time.

I used to mark each item-too much time involved...I now post signs listing the prices of clothing (and have some items marked that are worth more). This works pretty well. There's always going to be someone who has bundles of clothing and says "here's a dollar..." .

I did my first flea market two weeks ago. Was excited when I received $100.00 by the end of the five hours. What I did was. . . I had two boxes. One labeled men's XL clothing five dollars a piece. Another box labeled children's clothing $3.00 a piece. I sold quite a bit. Some of the stuff was worth more than the price but it was easy to sell and people didn't seem to mind surfing through the stuff. Good luck.

I agree with the "One Price" method... so much easier! For nicer items, I use masking tape & sharpie... but also put a little colored dot on the clothing tag (inside the clothes) so if someone switches to a lower price, I will know it!

I am just getting ready to start pricing items for my garage sale next weekend. Thanks for the great ideas.

I'm going to echo the one price method. We hold a family sale every year. We just switch who's houes it's at each year. Let's face it-- we don't want the items anymore. We have a table and fold the clothing the first round-- after that it's a free for all. We sell it all for $0.25 each-- then we hang things we want more for and price those individually.

My sister and I go to garage/yard sales every Friday and Saturday during the season. I can tell you-- I'm not going to pay $5.00 for any of your used clothing items. I don't care if it's Gymboree or what it is. Go to ebay or consignment shops if you want that much. I went to a sale yesterday end of the day-- tons of namebrand infant/toddler clothing. Person was telling me they didn't know why they didn't move any of it-- I know why you wanted $5.00-$15.00 per item. May as well like hauling it back in for those prices. I think the biggest misconception is that your going to make mega money at yard sales--- the best way to make the most money is to move all your items by marking them all low. Most garage salers want bargains.

I always do really well on kid's clothes. They are worn by one child who owns a ton of clothes so much of it looks new. About four years ago, I had a lady buy $60.00 of clothes to sell on Ebay!!! After that I started listing the higher end brands on Ebay as well. I don't give things away, but I have about three ladies who faithfully come every year to my sales. One year I did it a month late and someone came to my door to see if she missed it! We usually have very little to take to Goodwill at the end, so people around here must pay more. I have heard some people complain, but the stuff always sells.

I do mark clothing items individually. I agree the ease of one pricing is nice but I can't justify to myself selling a Gymboree or Ralph Lauren shirt for the same price as a Target shirt. Anyways, for tags I use file folder labels. They stick really well and I cut them into three pieces to get more labels out of them. I almost never have them fall off and only once have I realized that people switched tags on me and I told them 'I'm so sorry someone must have switched the tags -I thought some lady might have been doing that before you got here-the correct price is.... Do you still want the item?" Of course it was actually them I suspected but I gave them a graceful out -they still bought the items for my original prices!!

jenndisney said:
I post a sign stating All Shirts ...... All Pants ...... All Dresses ...... unless otherwise marked. The only things I mark more are a few outfits I hang and maybe some nicer pieces that again I hang on hangers. Then I put the sign on the hanger.

I have found out that around here if you mark each item, most of our customers will just try to change the price to something cheaper. It is not worth the hassel or extra work for me.

Ditto

I just wanted to note that though I do want to make some money from my garage sale, I also want to get rid of the items. Most of the stuff I don't sell does not go back in the house - goes directly to the trunk of my car to be taken to Goodwill. One time, as I was cleaning up, a family in a car that I had no idea how it could still be running stopped by and I just told them take what you want because I am just taking it to Goodwill. Because of this, the one price for pants, one price for shirts, etc. works well for me because I am not going through a lot of work for stuff I may end up taking to Goodwill. If you plan to try selling again, it may be a little more worth your time to mark items individually.

Hi!

Help! It's my first time doing a yard sale too! Our neighborhood is having a yardsale this weekend, and I haven't gotten started yet although I did say I would participate. I have 10 years of accumulation and love the idea of just labeling shirts, t-shirts, dresses, pants, etc at one price....Question - how much is resonable to ask for each items - I'm so afraid of messing up! Is there a rule of thumb for pricing items that have never been worn? What else do I offer for my sale - any suggestions - admittedly I am a pack rate and have a fear of getting rid of things. I'm looking to de-junk - but am afraid of putting too much junk out for a first timer and having to put it all back! I'm just looking for a small success and feeling accomplished that I just got rid of some stuff!

BTW, also have Little Tyke stuff too!

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Melissa :earsgirl:

Walmart actually has the small round stickers (they come in neon colors) with prices on them. The prices range from .25 cents to $10 and also come with stickers w/out the prices on them too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter