Galveston DCL cruises

WDW_Diane

DIS Veteran
I'm considering booking a DCL cruise out of Galveston before they completely leave this area (I live in Oklahoma). I'm not in love with the idea of a January cruise, but that may be the only time I could go before they leave. What kind of weather would we get that time of year?
I am wary of cruising in the fall because of hurricane season. Sure wish they were staying on a while longer in this region so I had more options.
What kind of airport transfers are available, if we were to fly there?
Many thanks!

I'm considering booking a DCL cruise out of Galveston before they completely leave this area (I live in Oklahoma). I'm not in love with the idea of a January cruise, but that may be the only time I could go before they leave. What kind of weather would we get that time of year?
I am wary of cruising in the fall because of hurricane season. Sure wish they were staying on a while longer in this region so I had more options.
What kind of airport transfers are available, if we were to fly there?
Many thanks!

From what I understand DCL doesn't have transfers for the Galveston cruises. I think they used to, but stopped them.

PrincessShmoo said:
From what I understand DCL doesn't have transfers for the Galveston cruises. I think they used to, but stopped them.

Thanks for the info....we would likely drive, but just checkin'.

I did a cruise (non-Disney) in early January about 3 years ago. It was down the coast of Mexico, and I gotta say, it was C-O-L-D! I do think it was unseasonably cold (I was in long-sleeves and jeans almost my entire trip), so there was absolutely no swimming or hanging out on deck in the evenings. But I think the Disney cruises head further east, which I hope would be warmer.

Actually DCL is still running shuttles from both Hobby and George Bush airports. We just booked a May cruise out of Galveston. I had our TA check with Disney and they told her that shuttles from Hobby will run until May 15. They will only be offered from George Bush after that date. Cost is $30 per person each way.

For our November cruise, DCL does offer transfers, but only from IAH (George Bush).

Have taken 2 DCL cruises out of Galveston with my 3rd booked for May. The last cruise was in February and the weather was cooler. Roads from Oklahoma down to Texas were fine. Did not get in the water at CC, but enjoyed the beach and the lunch.

We cruised on the Magic Jan 4th this year out of Galveston. Weather throughout Texas and including Galveston was very rainy, and a bit chilly. We did a week tour of Texas before the cruise, and it was cold and rainy everywhere. The sailaway party was cold, everyone was out there in winter coats, gloves, etc. Every day of the cruise was warm though, even the first sea day, couldn't have asked for better weather. We didn't hit CC, but Key West was hot.

Big thing about Galveston in January is the fog. We were delayed on our return because of fog, and obviously the cruise after us lost the better part of their embarkation day because of it. I think we finally docked around 4:00. Fog is not unusual in Galveston in Jan/Feb.

Watch the water as you leave Galveston bay... dolphins everywhere!

I have a cruise coming up in a few weeks. They do have transportation from IAH. I believe they are stopping transfers from hobby, just not sure when.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Thanks for all of the helpful input!
Last cruise for D Magic from Galveston May 15, header to Med. The Wonder will work out of Galveston untill Jan 2014 and that is end. We drove from Houma, La. Stayed in Hampton Inn Texas, City. 14 miles from Terminal. Sail date feb 9. Western Cab. Grand Cayman air was in 80s water 89 we did swim with sting rays, great. Cozumel great weather went shopping for about four to five hours always fun to bargin for the nock offs. Again weather was great. COOL the day we left, light jackets. Mid day second day we were in pardise.

Have taken 2 DCL cruises out of Galveston with my 3rd booked for May. The last cruise was in February and the weather was cooler. Roads from Oklahoma down to Texas were fine. Did not get in the water at CC, but enjoyed the beach and the lunch.

I'm from Oklahoma and our experience was the same on our cruise we took in February going out of Galveston.

The weather in Jan can be anywhere from 80s (this year) to 50/60s (last year).

It will still be a fun time, and Disney cruises are just so well done with plenty of entertaining things on the ship and fun excursions, even if it is too chilly for the water.

For transportation, I would either go through Disney if you are coming the same day (to ensure there are no hiccups), or if you are flying in the day before, just a limo/executive sedan service. The costs of taxis are very expensive in Houston, but the town cars can be quite reasonable.

Enjoy!

Oh, and I meant to say that we took a cruise in October (hurricane season), and had few issues. We were very nervous because there was a huge storm in the GoM, but the Captain was very reassuring, steered clear of the storm, and we had only a few extra bumps at night from some taller waves than usual.

If your preference is to take a sailing during the fall, I wouldn't let the fact it is hurricane season deter you. You can usually get some great deals this time of year, as the kids are back in school and they offer some very good prices as you get within 60 days of the booking window. We had the kids sail for free out of Galveston!

Happy sailing!

Interesting about sailing in the fall.....I definitely hadn't considered it. Not only because of hurricane season, but also because I'm a teacher and we have very little time off in the fall. Sure wish they'd sail from there in the summer. It looks like only Carnival goes out of Galveston in the summer, and no way would I go on Carnival.
Thanks for posting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter