• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Galaxy's Edge, The DIS, Mansion Merch, and the Unintended Split Stay - Aug 2019

softball chick

Teacher of Math and Disney Magic
Having just come back from what I would probably classify as one of the craziest and most incredible trips to WDW I've ever had, I figured it was time for me to try my hand at a trip report. It was a trip that was full of new adventures, interesting surprises, and tons of fun so I am excited to share it with you guys on here! So, time for some introductions:

CAST OF MAIN CHARACTERS:
Me: Kelly, the Disney loving high school math teacher from WI who spends as much of her "out of school time" as possible in Florida (and a bit of in time school when I take days so I can do RunDisney races). I participated in the Disney College Program back in 2016 as a Vacation Planner (i.e. ticket sales) at DAK so I feel especially at home when I am at WDW and when I get to see my friends from my program (more on them in a minute). I am the main planner/reservation maker/FP-er of the family so while everyone does give input it is usually me on my phone trying to figure out what our next move in the parks is going to be.

Mom: If anyone in the world is going to rival my level of Disney love, it's going to be her. As soon as I moved to FL for my College Program, she bought her Annual Pass and hasn't looked back since. I think our last trip (in July...yes we have a problem) was her 30th trip to WDW over her lifetime, and most of those have been in the last few years. She has been a huge DIS fan since our first family trip in 2008, so she and I were the most excited about all the DIS fun we were going to be having on this trip.

Sister: My younger sister - the lover of Big Thunder Mountain, taking super cute pictures for Instagram around the parks, and enjoying the relaxing side of WDW (something I have to work hard to remember to do...I'm more of a "go go go" kind of person). She is a big water park girl but had never been to the Disney ones, so getting the chance to go to them was one of the things she was most looking forward to on this trip.

Dad: He is the person who puts up with having a family full of Disney loving girls, and (I think) secretly likes it more than he will show. He is the biggest reason we try different restaurants because he wants a change from the "Disney chicken nugget" meals that the rest of us could probably live on for the week. He is also a teacher so he is limited to Spring Break and Summer Trips and doesn't get to go as often as the rest of the family.

famil.jpg
My Disney loving family - I'm the one in the Toy Story tank top

SUPPORTING CAST:
Missy: One of my roommates from my College Program who became one of my best friends during that time. She is still down in Florida, so every time I go to WDW we try to find time to get together and catch up.

Peter: Missy's fiancé and one of my newest Florida friends (who also happens to work on Batuu...more on that later).

DIS Unplugged Crew: You know...Pete, Teresa, John, Kevin, Ryno, Craig, etc. They show up in this story too!

TRIP DETAILS:
Where: Staying at Pop Century Resort (our home resort - we stay value so we can stay more often!)

When: August 7 - August 14 (or so we thought...)

Why: Ever since my College Program, we have been going to WDW at some point in August. It is the one trip during the year that all four members of our family are there together - usually either my Dad or sister stay back because of work. This year, we picked the particular dates that we did because of the Dreams Unlimited Travel 20th Anniversary Party that was being hosted by the DIS and Dreams Unlimited Travel.

TABLE OF CONTENTS:
Pre-Trip: I'm Going to Batuu!

Last edited:
PRE-TRIP: I'M GOING TO BATUU!

The story of this trip actually begins about two weeks before I set foot in Florida. I had been texting with my old DCP roommate Missy about what we both thought about the new Lion King and how we had both spotted the Baobob tree (she is a Safari Driver for Kilimanjaro Safaris so it's not quite as random of a conversation as you might think). Out of nowhere, she started asking me about the details of my upcoming trip - when I arrived, what time of day I would be in Florida, if I had plans yet for my arrival day, etc. Eventually she told me why she was asking - she had her Cast Preview for Galaxy's Edge on my arrival day, and there was a chance that her sister (who was going to be her guest for her preview) would be going back home to visit family so she was wondering if I might want to be her plus one in case her sister couldn't make it! It's safe to say I was BEYOND shocked when she asked me! Once I told her that I would most definitely come with her for the preview, the waiting game began to see if I was actually going to see Batuu early or not.

missy (2).jpg

Missy and I hanging out with the boss during our College Program Days

It was definitely hard not to get my hopes up, but I was trying my best to avoid any disappointment. I only told my family and a couple of my closest Disney loving friends about the possibility so I wouldn't jinx it or anything. Well the morning before my departure day, I texted Missy asking if her sister had gone home or not so I could figure out my park plans for the next day. She immediately responded telling me that she did and officially inviting me to come with her to Galaxy's Edge. At this point, I was on top of the moon and could not believe that in 24 hours I would be seeing the land that I had spent months peering at when I was on Slinky.

This news meant I needed to go shopping and fast. I do have some Star Wars clothing, but it is all either T-Shirts or Spirit Jerseys and all of it is black...none of which were my first choice for a hot August afternoon, so it was time for a trip to the mall. Now I completely failed on finding any new shirts for me to wear, but I did manage to find the perfect thank you gift for Missy. Earlier in the week, she had been telling me about her plans to Disney Bound as a Porg for the preview and how she had wanted a shoulder Porg to finish the outfit. The hope had been for her fiancé (who just so happens to work in Galaxy's Edge) to get it for her, but sadly that hadn't happened yet. Well when I walked into my Disney Store and headed to the Star Wars section, the first thing I saw was a row of the exact Porgs she had been talking about, so I knew it was meant to be. I was officially ready for my adventure to Batuu and started counting down the minutes until I left the next morning!

porg (2).jpg
Cutest Porg Ever. I'm definitely tempted to go back and buy one for myself now!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter