GAC yes or no????

Camping Disney

<font color=FF99FF>Give me Disney World and a tent
I have just found out that I will be having an ankle fusion in a few days. This now means that I will be non-ambulatory for the next 10-20 weeks, depending on healing time. So, I am of course here to ask for help. I have read this board and I still do not know if I need to get a GAC or not???? I will be allowed to use crutches...but I am NOT allowed to put any weight on that ankle for any reason. My physician has already given me a script for a w/c. Is the GAC for persons in a wheelchair or only for persons without obvious disabilities? Am I allowed to use a GAC? What will WDW be like in a wheelchair? Will I need a letter from my physician stating what rides/attractions I will be allowed to participate in? This is our first time here and I feel as though I am going to ruin this for my family.

Thanks to everyone for all of your help,
Michele :( :(

The GAC is for those who have hidden needs, are not comfortable using a wheelchair or those who have needs that are not really evident. Using a wheelchair, I suggest passing by the Guest Relations at the first theme park you visit and ask for the books for guests with disabilities, one for each park exist. They give great indication on the lenght, nature and access for each attractions.

Based on what you said, I whould avoid rides with sudden motions, meaning: Test Track, Body Wars, Dinosaur, Space Mountain, Primeval Whirl, Splash Mountain, RnRC, Star Tours, Big Thunder Mountain and Tower of Terror are the big ones you'll wish to be sure if you are able to do. Kali River Rapids... well, if you need to keep a bandage or something like that dry... then, its a huge no-no, because, we are not talking drops on you. Its the WAVE that crash in the boat!

You may be better off renting an ECV, as pushing a wheelchair can get very tiresome, especially if you are not used to it. Also it depends on the weight of the passenger and the condition of the pusher(s). Some information for off-site rentals are:

Here are the urls and phone numbers:

Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/

RANDY'S Mobility is in Kissimmee 407-892-4777
http://randysmobility.com/

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html

I have used Walker a few times. They will ask for a credit card and charge it the day before arrival. They will deliver the ECV to your hotel bell services before your arrival and pick it up there after your departure. Their rates, especially for longer than a week, are much better than Disney's. Also, their scooters are much better.

You don't say if you are renting a car or what. If you are using a car for getting around, the ECVs break down into five pieces, the heaviest about 39 pounds. They take about a minute or so to take apart and about two minutes (once you are used to it) to put it together.

Another suggestion is find out your state's requirements for a temporary disabled hang tag and get the paper work and have your doctor sign off on it. The tag will allow you to use any of the handicap parking areas (which will be a necessity). Also, with the policy of charging for valet parking, with a handicap hang tag the fees will be waived. Also the valets will usually volunteer to assist in loading/unloading an ECV. In Virginia I printed the required form from the DMV website. When I took the completed form to the DMV Office it took less than 15 minutes from the time I walked in until I had my tag.

If you are in a cast, you might want to have the person who puts it on you draw a line with a marker where it will be sawn off. Then bring a "Sharpie" type marker pen with you and have the Characters sign the cast. Warn them when signing to not cross the line. After the cast is removed you will have an interesting souvenier.

You can use a bungee cord to help keep crutches or a folded up walker on the EVC or wheelchair. Another poster has said that alker will put a cruthes holder on an ECV for an additional $10.00 without regard to the length of rental. Usually it would be a short walk with the crutches from the wheelchair or EVC.

Good luck and let us know what finally happens.

Thank-you so much for the information!

This is quite a shock to us and we are determined to not let it spoil our trip!!

We are driving to Disney as we are planning a 3 1/2 week trip.

I have a manual wheelchair and am now truly considering an ECV.

I love the idea for the Character signatures....that will truly get the kids involved.....we can see who gets the most signatures!!

Thanks!!! :)
Michele

Hi, I was gone for a few days, so will put my 2 cents worth in now.
You don't need a doctor's letter/prescription to use a wheelchair (I'm assuming you will bring one with you, if you are non-weight-bearing). You do need a prescription in order for your insurance to pay for one. The insurance may pay for a wheelchair, but not an ecv (since the wheelchair would be medically necessary and the ecv would be nice, but more expensive and the insurance is likely to say a wheelchair would be adequate).
You don't need a GAC unless you have other needs that are not visible. Just having a wheelchair or ecv will allow you to use the wheelchair entrances (be aware though, that in most cases, you will be waiting in line with everyone else, and be pulled out near the ride loading are to go to the wheelchair entrance).
You can download the Guidebooks for Guests with Disabilities that Absimilliard mentioned from the official Disney website. They give sort of basic info, but are helpful. The Disney site used to have a FAQ about rides that you could ride with a full leg cast (they shortened their FAQ and removed it). The anser said there were no rides that were "off limits" and they just listed rides that had exra leg room that would accomidate a full leg cast. There are some rides (Splash Mountain comes to mind) that have small cars which would be difficult to get in and out of. The Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities doesn't give info about this, but if you have some rides you wonder about, post them here and you will get answers about the ride car.

If you need to elevate your foot, you may not want an ecv since that basically has a platform that your feet rest on. It is meant for someone sitting with their legs bent at the knees. Perhaps someone who has used an ecv in a cast can help out with more information.

Thank-you, SueM for all of your information. I do have a w/c and a have decided against the ECV for the very reason you mentioned. We are cruising the week before our WDW experience and are camping at FW for our stay. I am sure all of this will all just work out great...now that I have the info from this board and all of the wonderful responses I have received!!

thanks to all,
Michele

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter