Funds Stolen from My Disney Gift Card Account

RandomHarmony

Earning My Ears
I had eight Digital $50 Disney Gift Cards that I discovered I could transfer on to one Disney Gift Card using the Disney Gift Card website using my Disney account. I transferred all of my Gift Cards to one Gift card and then I made the mistake of leaving the Gift card with $400 on it in my Disney Gift Card account under the My Gift Cards tab thinking it was safe as it should have been as it is password protected. On August 26, I went in to my Disney Gift Card account to add another Disney Gift Card and my Gift Card with $400 was gone from my account. It was the only card I had in my account. Upon calling the 18776504327 Disney Gift Card number I discovered that someone had accessed my account and transferred the $400 to another Disney Gift Card on August 23, at 4am. It wasn't me or anyone I know. I know this was done through the Disney Gift Card website as my card was deleted from my account and the Disney Gift Card number Rep stated it was done through them. They say they only have an email address for me to contact someone for help regarding this and I should hear back within 48 hours. It's been over 2 weeks and I have heard nothing. My emails have been returned Undeliverable. I have the correct email address that they gave me and have verified it numerous times. I have also messaged through the Disney Gift Card website but have not got any response. I am not getting anywhere, it's like I hit a brick wall. The 877 number says they can't help and the email address they are giving me is not working. I have called numerous Disney customer service lines and no one seems to know who to call. Their website was 100% breached, I did not transfer these funds or delete my card from my account. I just want someone to look at my account, it amazes me that no one seems to care that their website has been breached. Does anyone know who I can contact regarding the Disney Gift Card Website besides the 1-877 Disney Gift Card Number as they state they are not in charge of it, Disney is, and Disney can't tell me who to contact?

Last edited:
Thank you, I did read those and several others. That's how I ended up here. I had hope at first that someone would look into it but after over 2 weeks I'm beginning to think I'm never going to be able to get a hold of anyone that can look at my account. It looks like most of the other complaints I've read about seem to have gotten the benefit of a reply to their email. I haven't had a reply to any email or message in over 2 weeks, so I have been unable to have anyone look at my account. It is really frustrating.

I recently had an issue where Shop Disney asset protection voided all the gift cards in my account- over $2500 worth. They claimed there was fraud on the account, but refused to tell me what happened, what my balances were, or if any of the funds had been used anywhere. Disney Gift Cards could not help me, I had to contact Shop Disney asset protection even though numerous cards in the account were not purchased from Shop Disney. I used the main Shop Disney number- 800-328-0368, and the Asset Protection number 800-961-4376. I'll be honest- I had to get pretty nasty with them to get my money back. Asset Protection point blank would not return any of my calls despite their voicemail message stating they would return calls within one business day. I began calling Shop Disney and Asset Protection multiple times a day and leaving voicemails. I talked to three different Shop Disney associates in one day. I would also send emails every day too. It took about ten days, but I finally got all my money back on my gift cards without submitted any of my proof of purchases (some of these cards were years old and I know longer had the receipts).

I would recommend starting a similar barrage campaign as to what I did. It seems repeated calls/emails/voicemails is the only thing that gets their attention. Best of luck!

By chance are you using the same email for my disney gift card, MDE, and Disney+?
If so that is where your money went. Disney requires all passwords to be the same for all your accounts. I use different emails for each Disney account I have. Mde, shopdisney, my disneygiftcard. I dont subscribe to Disney+ but I would absolutely use a different email and password as it is the weakest link. Disney+ credentials were available for sale within 24 hours of the streaming service's launch.
I know it doesnt help you get your money back. But it helps prevent this in the future

I recently had an issue where Shop Disney asset protection voided all the gift cards in my account- over $2500 worth. They claimed there was fraud on the account, but refused to tell me what happened, what my balances were, or if any of the funds had been used anywhere. Disney Gift Cards could not help me, I had to contact Shop Disney asset protection even though numerous cards in the account were not purchased from Shop Disney. I used the main Shop Disney number- 800-328-0368, and the Asset Protection number 800-961-4376. I'll be honest- I had to get pretty nasty with them to get my money back. Asset Protection point blank would not return any of my calls despite their voicemail message stating they would return calls within one business day. I began calling Shop Disney and Asset Protection multiple times a day and leaving voicemails. I talked to three different Shop Disney associates in one day. I would also send emails every day too. It took about ten days, but I finally got all my money back on my gift cards without submitted any of my proof of purchases (some of these cards were years old and I know longer had the receipts).

I would recommend starting a similar barrage campaign as to what I did. It seems repeated calls/emails/voicemails is the only thing that gets their attention. Best of luck!
This is horrible--but glad you were able to get it resolved.

I am wondering, based on your experience, whether you think it's safe to use the Disney gift card website to combine gift cards and then delete all of the cards, or whether it's best to just avoid the Disney gift card website altogether.

I am wondering, based on your experience, whether you think it's safe to use the Disney gift card website to combine gift cards and then delete all of the cards, or whether it's best to just avoid the Disney gift card website altogether.

As soon as they put the money back on my cards, I immediately deleted all cards off the website (I still had the physical cards for all of them), created a new account, loaded the cards on there, transferred all the balances to new cards, and then deleted those cards from the website. I know it's not foolproof and I've read other threads where they've clawed back money before even from transferred gift cards, but I figure the harder I can make it for them, the better. I will also be keeping all proofs of purchase for all cards from now on, even though it doesn't tell you anywhere on the website that you're required to do that. It was extremely frustrating because I told them that the couple of proofs of purchase I did have for two cards would only show the initial load amounts of $50 and $100, and not the hundreds of dollars I had on the cards. They acted like they would only refund the initial load amount based on the proof of purchase, but also refused to give me my transaction history so I could see what other cards had been transferred to them. They ended up putting everything back on the cards though. Like I said, I had to get pretty ugly with them about it.

As soon as they put the money back on my cards, I immediately deleted all cards off the website (I still had the physical cards for all of them), created a new account, loaded the cards on there, transferred all the balances to new cards, and then deleted those cards from the website. I know it's not foolproof and I've read other threads where they've clawed back money before even from transferred gift cards, but I figure the harder I can make it for them, the better. I will also be keeping all proofs of purchase for all cards from now on, even though it doesn't tell you anywhere on the website that you're required to do that. It was extremely frustrating because I told them that the couple of proofs of purchase I did have for two cards would only show the initial load amounts of $50 and $100, and not the hundreds of dollars I had on the cards. They acted like they would only refund the initial load amount based on the proof of purchase, but also refused to give me my transaction history so I could see what other cards had been transferred to them. They ended up putting everything back on the cards though. Like I said, I had to get pretty ugly with them about it.
Thanks for sharing your perspective. I have a stack of $50 gift cards from recent purchases that I was going to combine. I probably will still combine and then delete, keeping a copy of everything (and all of the receipts).

Thanks for sharing your perspective. I have a stack of $50 gift cards from recent purchases that I was going to combine. I probably will still combine and then delete, keeping a copy of everything (and all of the receipts).
I think that's the best plan. Again, not foolproof, but I know it's so much easier to pay for trips when you can combine your gift cards. Just crazy that you have to worry about this coming from Disney themselves! I am certain at this point that there was never fraud on my cards.

I think that's the best plan. Again, not foolproof, but I know it's so much easier to pay for trips when you can combine your gift cards. Just crazy that you have to worry about this coming from Disney themselves! I am certain at this point that there was never fraud on my cards.
Many, many years ago I spent hours on the phone with a Costco travel agent reading off thousands of dollars worth of gift cards in $50 and $100 increments. I’m not sure if the gift card website to combine them didn’t exist yet or if I just didn’t know about it but I agree that combining them makes more sense. Plus I do worry about fraud from cards purchased at places like office max and GameStop (or anywhere the public can access and tamper with the cards). So just leaving them (rather than combining) also seems to have its own risk.

Surely the target 5% discount isn't worth gift card hassles? Or am I missing other reasons for collecting thousands of dollars of gift cards?
Chase often drops 10% off of purchases on ShopDisney, CVS, Best Buy, Staples, and other retailers that sell DGC. Then, you can often combine that with a click through for added percentage earned (for instance, RetailMeNot periodically does 10% back from ShopDisney). So, at that point you're talking about 20%, not just 5, and it can really add up depending on how many cards you have and how often you get the offers.

I'll jump through some pretty significant hoops for 20% off my Disney spending, especially considering how expensive the resort is now and how limited discounts are.

I'm glad you were able to get your gift cards back. I'm freaking out over $400, I can't imagine how I'd feel if it was over $2,500. I was given the phone number for Asset Protection but so far after over a week of calling them daily, I have received no response to any of my messages left. I have contacted Shop Disney who state they can not help as the cards weren't purchased through Disney. I was able to get someone at Shop Disney to send over a case to the Asset Protection department on 09/06 but so far I have not heard anything back as to whether they even got it or they can help. I have been told so many times by the Disney Reps. that someone will call me back regarding this from the various Disney phone numbers I've called but so far no has called or emailed. I will keep calling, someone has got to be able to look at my account.

By chance are you using the same email for my disney gift card, MDE, and Disney+?
If so that is where your money went. Disney requires all passwords to be the same for all your accounts. I use different emails for each Disney account I have. Mde, shopdisney, my disneygiftcard. I dont subscribe to Disney+ but I would absolutely use a different email and password as it is the weakest link. Disney+ credentials were available for sale within 24 hours of the streaming service's launch.
I know it doesnt help you get your money back. But it helps prevent this in the fut

I know it doesnt help you get your money back. But it helps prevent this in the future
I did have the same email address for my Disneyland account and my Disney Gift Card account. The way that I accessed the Gift Card account was through my Disneyland account. I don't have a Disney+ account. I did change my password to all of my Disney accounts after this and I no longer intend to use the Disney Gift Card account. I still have the cards that I was going to transfer to the card that was compromised and I'm afraid to even check the balances on those using the Disney Gift Card website.

Just reading all of these stolen funds posts lately makes me not want to ever use the Disney GC website. Sometimes I use the 5% Target discount to get a GC and then I immediately use it towards something. Not worth the paperwork and continuing oversight it requires to combine multiple GCs. Not even for 20%.

At least when you have bank or cc fraud and contact them, they are immediately on it. Non-responsiveness to my missing money gets a hard 'no' from me.

I'm glad you were able to get your gift cards back. I'm freaking out over $400, I can't imagine how I'd feel if it was over $2,500. I was given the phone number for Asset Protection but so far after over a week of calling them daily, I have received no response to any of my messages left. I have contacted Shop Disney who state they can not help as the cards weren't purchased through Disney. I was able to get someone at Shop Disney to send over a case to the Asset Protection department on 09/06 but so far I have not heard anything back as to whether they even got it or they can help. I have been told so many times by the Disney Reps. that someone will call me back regarding this from the various Disney phone numbers I've called but so far no has called or emailed. I will keep calling, someone has got to be able to look at my account.

Do you have any gift cards from Shop Disney combined into your account, or any recent GC purchases through Shop Disney. I had one on 8/15 and noticed my account was voided two weeks later. I have no idea if that gift card purchase was in any way relevant to what happened to me (probably not) but I was able to give Shop Disney that order number and deal with them through that.

I can't help with this specific issue, but this is what I am doing to prevent this from happening:

• Use the DGC site for combining ONLY - remove them as soon as I'm done.
  • Taking pictures of the backs of all the DGCs that I am using as 'main' cards - where all the transfers go to.
  • Have a spreadsheet with the card numbers and PINs. I also name the cards and write the name on the back. (Or, you can just get different designed cards. So, on my spreadsheet, I have the card named "Frozen" has XXXX as the card number, and 1234 as the PIN, with a total value of $567.89 on it.
  • As I usually purchase DGCs with credit cards / online sites, I have that proof of purchase if I ever needed it. In the rare event I buy a card using cash, I tape the receipt to the empty card.
  • Lastly, I also hold onto all the cards I have emptied in transfers until I am back home from my vacation. I store them all in an old Magic Band box, and they get thrown away when we're back.
I also don't ever add more than $1k to a card. If I max it out to $1k, then use it to buy tickets or something beforehand, I don't 'reload'. That way if a refund needs to happen, it can go back to that specific card without any issues.

I am wondering, based on your experience, whether you think it's safe to use the Disney gift card website to combine gift cards and then delete all of the cards, or whether it's best to just avoid the Disney gift

Do you have any gift cards from Shop Disney combined into your account, or any recent GC purchases through Shop Disney. I had one on 8/15 and noticed my account was voided two weeks later. I have no idea if that gift card purchase was in any way relevant to what happened to me (probably not) but I was able to give Shop Disney that order number and deal with them through that.
No, none of my Gift Cards were purchased from Shop Disney. I know now that in the future, if I ever purchase Disney Gift Cards, I will get them through Shop Disney. They seem to be more willing to help, if the cards have an issue like this, if they are purchased through Shop Disney. I did finally receive a response to an email from the GC email asking for the activation receipts. and some other information. This response was using a different email account to send the message. My messages going back to 08/26 sent from my main email account, the account associated with my Disney Gift Card account, have still not been responded to. I was able to provide them with the receipts for the GC's. Hopefully someone will actually be able to help.

I can't help with this specific issue, but this is what I am doing to prevent this from happening:

• Use the DGC site for combining ONLY - remove them as soon as I'm done.
  • Taking pictures of the backs of all the DGCs that I am using as 'main' cards - where all the transfers go to.
  • Have a spreadsheet with the card numbers and PINs. I also name the cards and write the name on the back. (Or, you can just get different designed cards. So, on my spreadsheet, I have the card named "Frozen" has XXXX as the card number, and 1234 as the PIN, with a total value of $567.89 on it.
  • As I usually purchase DGCs with credit cards / online sites, I have that proof of purchase if I ever needed it. In the rare event I buy a card using cash, I tape the receipt to the empty card.
  • Lastly, I also hold onto all the cards I have emptied in transfers until I am back home from my vacation. I store them all in an old Magic Band box, and they get thrown away when we're back.
I also don't ever add more than $1k to a card. If I max it out to $1k, then use it to buy tickets or something beforehand, I don't 'reload'. That way if a refund needs to happen, it can go back to that specific card without any issue

Thank you, that is good information. I do have all of that information. The only thing I didn't do was delete the GC from the DGC site, according to Disney, it's secure in my account. The issue here is that Disney will not do anything if the cards are not purchased from Shop Disney. They refer you to the 1-877 DGC number who can only give you your balance on the card. If there is an issue like this they give you an email to send the information to and they state someone will contact me within 48 hrs. of sending the email. My problem is no one has contacted me and most of the emails have been returned "Undeliverable". Upon calling the DGC 1-877 number again, they just say send another email, they can't do anything. This has been going on since 08/26. I finally received an email reply from DGC this morning after using another email address to send them an email that wasn't associated with my DGC account. I don't think I will ever purchase another DGC and I will never use their DGC site to merge cards again. Even if deleting the card afterward. If you don't buy the GC from Shop Disney, they will not help, or they will give you the run around, no matter how much information you have. I have never had any issue with Disney or any Gift Card before this. I emailed them the receipts for the DGCs this morning and some other information they requested so my fingers are crossed that hopefully I will get some help now. I did receive a reply stating that they had received the receipts and would be looking at my account. So that's a start.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter