Fun places outside parks but on property

Freyja

<font color=red>Formerly known as Sleepless in Den
We´ve never visited any resorts other than the Contemporary (to go to Chef Mickey´s) so this time we´d love to eat at one or two of the resorts and check them out.

I´m looking for both food courts and TS places/buffets. Any recommendations?

The Earl of Sandwich at DTD is great - lines are long, but move quickly and the sandwiches/salads are inexpensive and very good.

The Mara at AKL has a very nice "food court" with interesting dishes and a fairly quiet atmosphere - it is near the pool.

ESPN Club is not a food court or buffet, but the food is generally very good - great nachos! - and it is fun to watch sports on the zillions of tvs which are all over the room!

I have heard that the Trail's End restaurant at FW is very good; we have not been there in quite a while, so I can't comment.

The GF has a very nice dinner buffet at 1900 Park faire. Mickey and Minnie used to be there, but I am not sure whether they still are or if other characters are present.

There are food courts in the moderate and value resorts that are worth checking out for the variety and the pricing. We especially love the ones at both POR and POFQ - lots of fun.

Our favorite is the Cape May Breakfast Buffet at Beach Club :banana:

They had paper on the tables and gave crayons...the characters came around and wrote notes...drew pictures...

In the past I've asked for an "extra" & had the characters do their thing and I brought it home and matted & framed it.

Goofy drew a picture of me... (curly hair & all) too funny!
then he handed me the crayon and he posed...he wanted me to draw him!:rotfl:

Chef Mickeys used to be our favorite, but because the Beach Club is smaller it seemed that we had alot more time with the characters. Going back on Mothers Day:rolleyes1

The GF has a very nice dinner buffet at 1900 Park faire. Mickey and Minnie used to be there, but I am not sure whether they still are or if other characters are present.

Currently it is called Cinderella's Gala Feast which has cinderella and her friends

Another good one is Cape May Cafe Clam Bake in the Beach Club. They have a great buffet.

Boma in the Animal Kingdom Lodge is a great buffet that features African Fare with an American twist. It is our favorite.

Whispering Canyon Cafe in the Wilderness Lodge is a great place too. Kids love it. It gets quite rowdy there but it is fun

Wow. You guys are amazing. In a blink of an eye I have all these great reply´s. Thanks everyone.

A trip to Disney is not complete for our family without lunch at Whispering Canyon Cafe. We love just hanging out in the lodge and really enjoy this fun venue. But, at night the crowds, noisy (because it IS a rowdy place--that is what makes it so much fun) can be too much for us, so we hit it for lunch (still zany and fun but not overwhelming).

We also like to take the boat from MGM over to the Beach Club and get Beaches and Cream for lunch (excellent sundaes of all types).

Rainforest Cafe at DTD. We get the appetizer combo and the Volcano and it's enough to fill us up and have leftovers. YUM!!!

FYI, at Cape May Buffet only the breakfast has characters. Dinner does not.

We've also enjoyed 50's primetime cafe. We had our server "cousin" Michael who was a complete hoot!:cheer2: he made my 61 yr old mother stand up and hold a packet of sugar up against the wall with her nose because he didn't like her behavior. Also, when she came out of the bathroom infront of the entire room we were dining in he asked her if she washed her hands? when she said yes, he asked her what color the soap was..
Then, he didn't like a comment she made so he said "you think you can do better?" and he took his apron off and gave it to her and said "go take their order" (which she did) while he sat at her seat and talked to me..:laughing:
He was awesome:rotfl2:

When my mother asked what the Meatloaf looked like he took her by the hand & walked her around the restaurant...left her with a big, burly biker dude who was eating the meatloaf, and said.. "she wanted to see what the meatloaf looked like" and he left her there!!!:rotfl:

We had so much fun! we laughed until we had tears... he also dragged her & her chair (while she was seated in it) around the corner of the room to a table of 10 and left her there and told them "this is your new cousin)!!

I'm laughing out loud just remembering it! Michael really made our trip! :yay:

Your topic said "fun" places to eat outside the parks. You'll find solid theming at most hotels, so it's really a matter of picking the hotel theme you like (Polynesian, New Orleans, Mississippi, island culture, Africa). While there is controversy about the food and the prices, the "fun" element of Rainforest Cafe is obvious. Several places in DtD have live music that could be your cup of tea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter