• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fuel question

dis_or_dat

DIS Veteran
Hi all!

Trying to figure out my race day fueling plan. After trying out a few gels/bloks, I've settled on Huma (yum!)

Has anyone tried Generation UCAN? Someone at a running store recommended it to me, but can’t find a lot of info on it except sponsored posts etc. He said he took it 30 min before a race and didn’t need to fuel, but he's a sub 3 marathoner. What about tailwind as only a pre-race drink? Don't want to carry a water bottle with me.

My running buddies use tailwind. I would emphasize the "wind" party of it as it does seem to help them break wind more often.....

I just tried Maurten Hydrogel for the princess half and liked it. It's a little bit different. It's like a whipped gel with no flavoring. It's supposed to be easier for your body to process.

Hi all!

Trying to figure out my race day fueling plan. After trying out a few gels/bloks, I've settled on Huma (yum!)

Has anyone tried Generation UCAN? Someone at a running store recommended it to me, but can’t find a lot of info on it except sponsored posts etc. He said he took it 30 min before a race and didn’t need to fuel, but he's a sub 3 marathoner. What about tailwind as only a pre-race drink? Don't want to carry a water bottle with me.

You didn't mention what length race you're running, so I'll assume half or longer.....

If you like Huma, why add on anything else? Just take one before the race and drink water with it. I have tried Tailwind--switched recently-- and so far, so good. No GI issues of any kind.

As long as your race has regular water stops that you can be sure of (and that reasonably correspond with your fueling timing), you should be okay.

Of course, the real answer is "whatever works for you and makes you comfortable is best"! Good luck.

I switched to eGels a few years ago for marathons and they work far better for me than anything that I had used before. I don't fuel for anything less than 16 miles.

I tried UCan and hated it! The taste was really off-putting and it didn't provide enough glucose for my needs. I got it free as a sample and only after trying learned that it was designed to work well for diabetics - which was likely the problem for me. I am chronically hypoglycemic (low blood sugar), so I start at a deficit and running then lowers my blood sugar even more. UCan wasn't fast-acting enough to keep my glucose level up to a semi-normal level.

I do use Tailwind regularly and find that it works great for glucose delivery, but isn't quite enough in the electrolyte department for hot summer runs here in FL. I worked out a system that works well: start with a bottle (12oz) of Tailwind mixed to 100 cals, which lasts about an hour, take a gel after an hour and refill bottle with water and Nuun, next hour fill bottle with Tailwind, next hour gel + Nuun, and so on. For runs of only an hour+, I use only Tailwind.

Never tried it myself. I attached the scientific white paper (pdf) from the Generation UCAN website.

Here is Runner Connect's counter-point as to whether its real or skirting science:

https://runnersconnect.net/ucan-marathon-nutrition-review/

I know of one person who uses it and highly recommends it. I haven't used it before, because it can get pretty pricey. If you decide to try it, you can get it at a discount by using the website associated with McMillan (link).

I personally use E-Gels and Maurten 320 Drink Mix. Maurten is nice because it reduces the water burden because it dissolves at 4.6 g carb/ ounce water. Whereas most other products on the market are 2 g carb/ounce water. Only has sodium as an additional electrolyte which is why I pair it with E-Gels during the race which have a really high electrolyte per g content. So I take the Maurten 320 Drink Mix prior to the start and can get in 79g carb, 320 calories in only 17 oz of liquid (less chance of potty break with less liquid for the same carb content). If I carry, then I can carry Maurten in a throw away bottle and save the gels for towards the end of the race.

Attachments

• technical-breakthrough-sports-innovation.pdf
    78.2 KB · Views: 1
Thanks for all the replies! Just found out UCAN had to settle a class action lawsuit against its claims. I'll probably check out e-gel and maurten - I see my local running store sells it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter