Fuel island courtesy

Clifton Tesh

DIS Veteran
Truck Driver here...

Stopped in Wytheville, VA the other day to get fuel. Numerous RVs and Campers we're on the fuel island or in line to get fuel.

We understand that you guys need fuel too but there's a few courtesies that we should all follow at the fuel island, whether we are in a commercial vehicle or a recreational one.

1) Pull forward once you're finished fueling. We all have places that we are trying to get to but the government regulates truck drivers and the longer we have to sit waiting on a pump, the less time we have to do our jobs.

2) Please do not work on your rig on the fuel island.

and the one that made me post this here, because the rig was plastered with Fort stickers, tire covers, and Pioneer Mickey decals...

3) DO NOT HOOK UP TO THE WATER SUPPLY AT THE PILOT AND FILL YOUR FRESH WATER UP WHILE THERE'S 30 TRUCKS WAITING TO GET TO THE FUEL PUMP!!!

Sorry...needed to vent...took me 21 minutes to get fuel that day...

Truck Driver here...

Stopped in Wytheville, VA the other day to get fuel. Numerous RVs and Campers we're on the fuel island or in line to get fuel.

We understand that you guys need fuel too but there's a few courtesies that we should all follow at the fuel island, whether we are in a commercial vehicle or a recreational one.

1) Pull forward once you're finished fueling. We all have places that we are trying to get to but the government regulates truck drivers and the longer we have to sit waiting on a pump, the less time we have to do our jobs.

2) Please do not work on your rig on the fuel island.

and the one that made me post this here, because the rig was plastered with Fort stickers, tire covers, and Pioneer Mickey decals...

3) DO NOT HOOK UP TO THE WATER SUPPLY AT THE PILOT AND FILL YOUR FRESH WATER UP WHILE THERE'S 30 TRUCKS WAITING TO GET TO THE FUEL PUMP!!!

Sorry...needed to vent...took me 21 minutes to get fuel that day...
AMEN!...

Is the water at the islands even potable?

There are so many new RVers and truckers on the road now, they should post these at the pumps. In the last few years I've seen as many truckers not pulling up. Or pulling up and then spending 30 minutues inside. When I still had my 5er and truck with 100 gallon fuel tanks, I had to back out of a couple of pumps after filling up because the person had pulled up and disappeared.

j

Is the water at the islands even potable?

There are so many new RVers and truckers on the road now, they should post these at the pumps. In the last few years I've seen as many truckers not pulling up. Or pulling up and then spending 30 minutues inside. When I still had my 5er and truck with 100 gallon fuel tanks, I had to back out of a couple of pumps after filling up because the person had pulled up and disappeared.

j
They're posted on most pumps and the pilot even announces it over the speakers every couple of minutes. Sadly, truckers are the worst culprits at sitting on a pump. I don't understand it, it's real easy to fuel and pull forward and if you know you're gonna be in the store more than a couple of minutes, go find a spot to park out of the way! But sadly, too many drivers only care about themselves.

As for the water, I see a lot of campers, RVs, and tour buses fill up at the pumps. They'll use one of those camco water filters that attach in between the spigot and hose to filter the water. Some of the more expensive motorcoaches have their own filtration system built in.

It's common to see it but most people have the courtesy to do it when there's not a massive line of people waiting. This guy, however, didn't care about anyone but him. He filled his truck with fuel, then pulled forward some to put the water in his camper. He even stayed parked on the pump after he was done, went inside, bought DEF, came out, popped his hood, and then topped off his DEF.

Agree with @Teamubr, so many sinners with 18 or less wheels.

Many folks have to go in to start the pump, I used to be one of them before the TSD card. The thing that drives me to drinking is when they pull into the pump and go in to start the pump, stay in there for 20 min, then they come out with a big sip and a bag of chips (and I assume fell asleep on the toilet), and then start to fuel with absolute no urgency.

If some guy went in to get DEF and started pouring it in while on the island, my eye might have twitched out of my skull.

Agree with @Teamubr, so many sinners with 18 or less wheels.

Many folks have to go in to start the pump, I used to be one of them before the TSD card. The thing that drives me to drinking is when they pull into the pump and go in to start the pump, stay in there for 20 min, then they come out with a big sip and a bag of chips (and I assume fell asleep on the toilet), and then start to fuel with absolute no urgency.

If some guy went in to get DEF and started pouring it in while on the island, my eye might have twitched out of my skull.
My eye definitely started twitching and some words came out of my mouth at a very high volume.

If the person happens to be part of these boards, they must certainly remember the interaction 😂🤣

They're posted on most pumps and the pilot even announces it over the speakers every couple of minutes. Sadly, truckers are the worst culprits at sitting on a pump. I don't understand it, it's real easy to fuel and pull forward and if you know you're gonna be in the store more than a couple of minutes, go find a spot to park out of the way! But sadly, too many drivers only care about themselves.

As for the water, I see a lot of campers, RVs, and tour buses fill up at the pumps. They'll use one of those camco water filters that attach in between the spigot and hose to filter the water. Some of the more expensive motorcoaches have their own filtration system built in.

It's common to see it but most people have the courtesy to do it when there's not a massive line of people waiting. This guy, however, didn't care about anyone but him. He filled his truck with fuel, then pulled forward some to put the water in his camper. He even stayed parked on the pump after he was done, went inside, bought DEF, came out, popped his hood, and then topped off his DEF.
Theres a new drug out called "Oblivious" its on the streets and widely used in todays society.

I'm guessing the OP won't be driving an EV semi anytime soon? Wonder how this will all work if there are significant number of EV semi's on the road? Limited range and LONG recharge time would seem to be a big challenge.

I'm guessing the OP won't be driving an EV semi anytime soon? Wonder how this will all work if there are significant number of EV semi's on the road? Limited range and LONG recharge time would seem to be a big challenge.
If we got smart and did like European countries, EV semi trucks would be wonderful but sadly, we aren't anywhere near doing it the way the European countries do.

They have dedicated truck lanes on the highways that have charging lines above the road and some have induction chargers in the road. While the vehicle is on the highway, it's charging and running off that power source, once it gets into the city, it runs on battery power.

It's an excellent system that's been around for a long long time, it's the same way trolley cars used to work and a lot of inner city trains still work, so it's not like it's a new idea, america just hasn't figured out how to charge every trucker/trucking company in the country for this service yet.

Attachments

• germany-ehighway-ogi.jpg
    germany-ehighway-ogi.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 3
Totally different scenario/situation.

Wonder how this will all work if there are significant number of EV semi's on the road? Limited range and LONG recharge time would seem to be a big challenge.
From what I've read, they are being marketed to fleet companies that go from terminal to terminal within the range of a single charge. The terminals would be where charging occurred. The other is for local routes that can return back to a company yard for recharging.

Hopefully battery technology improves and the infrastructure for the general public continues to expand.

j

...the infrastructure for the general public continues to expand.
This is a (if not THE) major hurdle for electrification of commercial fleets.

Per a seminar from a company that is designing EV charging infrastructure all over the country, companies are willing to pay for their chargers and substations if needed along with the vehicles. However, too often the electric provider can't provide an affordable solution for the distribution required to offset the demands of these facilities. They're waiting for some funny money from the taxpayers to make all the investments in their grids.

Remember when the Government funded gas stations in order to increase convenience to travelers ? Yeah, me neither.

Truck stops can be a chore or a breeze depending on the lane you choose and how many of the self centered fuel island users are. I have never seen someone filling water at a truck stop, is that more of an issue to the west?

If we got smart and did like European countries, EV semi trucks would be wonderful but sadly, we aren't anywhere near doing it the way the European countries do.

They have dedicated truck lanes on the highways that have charging lines above the road and some have induction chargers in the road. While the vehicle is on the highway, it's charging and running off that power source, once it gets into the city, it runs on battery power.

It's an excellent system that's been around for a long long time, it's the same way trolley cars used to work and a lot of inner city trains still work, so it's not like it's a new idea, america just hasn't figured out how to charge every trucker/trucking company in the country for this service yet.
THis would be nice but logistically cost prohibitive. What we have to remember is that the whole of Germany is only 2.7 times the size of Alabama. So the ENTIRE country can fit into a space of maybe Alabama, Georgia and part of South Carolina. America is huge and has A LOT of people in it.

I do like the fact that in Europe in general that trucks must stay in the right lane and are capped at 55 miles per hour. We have a lot of truck drivers in this country that love to go 80+ and make it feel like they are running you off the road. AND go 3 wide going up a big hill doing 50 so no one can pass then jump to 80 on the downhill and push everyone out of their way.

Sorry, rant over.

We owned a diesel rv for a few years. Saw a lot of crazy stuff at fuel islands. One travel trailer, pulled through and parked (clearly marked NO PARKING) and disappeared. The station made announcements over and over for them. No idea where they went, we fueled and left. Trucks in the far left lanes were blocked because of this fool. It just got old for my DH having to wait, then you're gassing up and the guy who's ahead vanishes and you're at his mercy. We sold the rv and now have a travel trailer. So much easier. Although I do feel for truckers who want a place to pull in and rest, and rvs have taken up many spots for a free night stay.

Having towed an enclosed race trailer on a gas truck I cannot thing of any station where the gas pumps where easier with a trailer. You must pick the lucky loations because I don't really recall a lot of times where getting in an out of gas islands where a breeze. I started using truck islands with the PFJ/GoodSams charge card because no need to go in. Then TSD came and using that too. When I pull in I can fuel, pull forward and either that is about the time the family has rerturned from heading in or I pull into truck parking for a few minutes to get a bathroom break and head out.

I never was at a truck stop late enough to see if there where RVs taking up spots, I have seen it at rest stops but not truck stops. Loves it trying something new by having FHU RV spots at select locations. As always it will be the few giving the many a bad name.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!