Front Load Washers and Downey

dairyou

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
We have a front load washer. Before when we had our old washer our clothes had a nice downey smell. Now, however much I put in I can't smell it. At times even, it smells faintly mildewy.

What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I miss that downey smell :(

Deb

Got me. We've been having the same problem. :furious: :confused3

ETA: We even switched to the high efficiency detergent and that hasn't helped. :confused3

dairyou said:
At times even, it smells faintly mildewy
Front-loaders, because they're airtight, have to periodically be run through a cleaning mode, in which you use only bleach and water. My front-loader has a special "mode" for this.

My CLOTHES smell like fabric softener, but my washer doesn't smell like anything.

Do you close the door tight after you've finished washing? I leave mine cracked open a bit to "dry out". There's still a bit of water that sits under the seal and if it's left closed up, it will smell mildewy (is that even a word?). Good luck! :sunny:

daemom said:
Do you close the door tight after you've finished washing? I leave mine cracked open a bit to "dry out". There's still a bit of water that sits under the seal and if it's left closed up, it will smell mildewy (is that even a word?). Good luck! :sunny:
I agree, leave it open to let it completely dry out. Another tip, maybe off topic... We had ours serviced this spring and the repairman (who had the same waher/dryer as us- Whirlpool Duet) told us to use about a third of the max amount of detergent and softener. He said that there is such little water used that it cannot dilute all of the soap. It has worked for us and we are really saving on detergent and fabric softener now!

I switched to the HE detergent and use the suggest amount. So should I use even less of that also?

I do one load of whites per week that has the bleach in it. Now that doesn't smell anything but bleach. Does that count as running a "cleaning mode"?

I'll definitely leave the washer open. I close each time and maybe that's part of the problem.

Thanks Everyone!

Deb

We do leave the door open on the washer & that hasn't helped. Ours is a GE & it doesn't have a cleaning mode but I'll definitely try the bleach & water.
:goodvibes

You aren't using that Downy ball that worked in top load washers are you?

We have the Sears front loader and use the amount of Downy in the prescribed drawer slot. Granted, the clothes don't smell as full of Downy as the used to (probably because they aren't sitting emerged in the rinse like they do with top loads), but we still get a faint hint of downy and no static cling, so it must work .

Yep, you've got to leave the door open when not in use, to let it dry out. I don't run an empty load with bleach, but I'll do a small load of rags or something & really load it up with bleach.

And while I use very little detergant with the front loader, I need to use more fabric softener to avoid stiff clothes.

I am so into clothes smelling good, dump the washer

Pop Daddy said:
:goodvibes :goodvibes I agree!

I have the same problem, but my washer is a regular top load Maytag - the only thing I can think of is that I have been using the extra large load water fill lately (DH work clothes), and maybe the additional water is rinsing all the good smell out too! I have tried a bunch of detergents and both liquid and fabric softener sheets and I found that if I use Gain detergent the good smell is slightly there - otherwise just blah.. :guilty:

I miss the fresh smell when you're folding the clothes out of the dryer!

Ok weird but I just heard this at the salon, the girl said she had to have her front loader fixed because she wasn't using HE detergent and they said she HAS to! And she said there are two slots to put detergent in and she was putting it in both and they said NO only goes in 1 of them and NOT to fill both... they never told her why either. But now she said its all good. She said that the HE detergent last a lot longer too :)

dairyou said:
I do one load of whites per week that has the bleach in it. Now that doesn't smell anything but bleach. Does that count as running a "cleaning mode"?

No, it has to be an empty washer-load with just bleach. It only needs to be done once a month.

Pop Daddy said:

I can't speak for others, but MY CLOTHES smell great. The washer, however, has no smell at all.

miss missy said:
Ok weird but I just heard this at the salon, the girl said she had to have her front loader fixed because she wasn't using HE detergent and they said she HAS to!

The manual says that you can damage your front-loader machine by using "plain" detergent. It doesn't say exactly what could happen. I wouldn't risk it, personally; the washing machine was expensive, and it's not worth damaging it for the cost of fa little detergent! The HE detergent is actually "low sudsing" detergent. I've had my front-loader since April, and I'm still using my FIRST box of HE detergent -- and I wash clothes for four people -- you use so little that it lasts forever.

We have a front load washer. Before when we had our old washer our clothes had a nice downey smell. Now, however much I put in I can't smell it. At times even, it smells faintly mildewy.

What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I miss that downey smell :(

Deb
My front loader died it was eight years old, it smelled moldy.my clothes never smelled clean... mildewy. I did the vinegar baking soda clean, i used bleach , i used affresh, I used tide washer cleaner. I always left the door open, always dried up excess left over water in the baffle. But it always smelled.So when i went to buy a new washer I got some interesting info from Sears salesman who was a repair tech for 30 years. He told me the problem is the liquid detergents. Their base is ANIMAL FAT ,it leaves residue inside the washer pumps and hoses that cant be washed away, what he told me made me ill and it made sense. He said that the general public has this problem whether it be front or top loader since the invention of liquid detergent. Its the type of detergent! He recommended powdered detergent and powder non chlorine bleach. Liquid bleach is ok and downy fabric softener liquid is ok. He also said to use less than the directions say. He recommended washing towels with baking soda and vinegar and absolutely no fabric softener for towels, its waxy and although it makes towels soft it affects their absorbency. That was two years ago and Im over the moon no smelly clothes, no mildew at all. Get rid of liquid detergents use powder and your clothes will smell like downy again. Not sure if this method would work on an already ANIMAL FAT CONTAMINATED WASHER . But it is worth a try!

He told me the problem is the liquid detergents. Their base is ANIMAL FAT ,it leaves residue
Tallow (animal fat) was extremely common in people soap and laundry soap long before electricity was even invented.

That aside, I'm willing to bet that most liquid detergents contain chemicals - not tallow.

Tallow (animal fat) was extremely common in people soap and laundry soap long before electricity was even invented.

That aside, I'm willing to bet that most liquid detergents contain chemicals - not tallow.
Yeah, but who knows what was used 13 years ago? (when this question was originally asked)

Sometimes life gets in my way of doing laundry and I just take 3 weeks of clothes to the laundromat. They have frontloaders, should I be using HE detergent?

I never even thought of that. Funny, I've noticed that my clothes never smell as fresh from the laundromat as they do at home. I used downy and what I call "Bounce flavor crystals"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter