Friends Reunited - TRIP REPORT!! - COMPLETE

We then boarded the flight. See, that's Emma and I sitting on a plane. Gotta have those compulsory plane shots!

Despite boarding on time, we took off late as we waited for a connection to come in from Amsterdam. At the gate, we were told that it was a completely full flight yet Emma and I really lucked out and had an empty seat next to us. We managed to spread out and have more of a comfortable flight than we expected :) The flight seemed to pass quite quickly; I did some uni/research work to start :faint: and by the time I had finished, food was being served - bangers 'n' mash with a pesto pasta salad. It really wasn't bad!

I spent the remainder of the flight watching the 'comedy' section of the available TV programmes. This included The Middle, Miranda, Nurse Jackie and Community. My favourite however, was the Disneyland episode of Modern Family. If you've never watched Modern Family, then please give it a go :) It's aired on ABC in the US and on Sky 1 here in the UK. It's hilarious! I have seen the Disneyland episode so many times now, but I never get bored of it. If you only ever watch one episode, make sure it's that one!

After landing, the Captain made the announcement that due to recent problems with Immigration at Orlando, it was currently too busy in the hall and were going to have to be held on the plane for the time being. After around 30 minutes, we disembarked to find that the Immigration hall was still absolutely heaving with people. We knew we had a long wait ahead of us, but at least Orlando was the other side of that wait! We started to worry about Jo and Tanya; we had no way to contact them whilst in Immigration and had no idea where they would be waiting or how to let them know that we were going to be late. It also didn't help that they didn't have each other's numbers!

After finally clearing Immigration and the monorail, I managed to switch on my phone. A barrage of messages came through from Jo checking if we were OK since we were three hours later than planned! We wandered around the shopping area and found Jo outside Starbucks - should've guessed really, as that girl is ADDICTED to iced coffees! After hugs, we headed down to the Magical Express area where Tanya had also been waiting for a couple of hours. None of us had seen her since we finished our College Program in 2011, but seeing each other again now, it felt like we had never been apart!!

We checked onto the bus, loaded our bags and then settled down. OKW was to be the first stop. We half watched the welcome video (which I loved) and half excitedly discussed our plans and itinerary (which I had made and colour coded - expect nothing else :lmao: )!

Before we knew it, we were at the resort and at first looks, we loved it. Check-in was quick and we were shown our room on the map. We were also given a lovely green balloon poodle as the room pet - we named him Patrice!

We loaded our bags onto a golf cart and were whisked away to our room; we were staying in room 5514 - a bit of a trek from Hospitality House - but super close to one of the little swimming pools and the South Point bus stop. Our Bell person was Dave from England; we chatted about how he had been living and working out there for a while now. We also entertained him with our practising of our American accents. Our favourite phrase to say: "Turtle Pond"!

We unpacked, showered, and the consensus for dinner that evening was Captain Cook's at the Polynesian - we were just craving those pork sandwiches!

Of course I had the Aloha Pork Sandwich with a Macadamia nut cookie for dessert; it did not disappoint! We had a slight hiccup with our first meal on the DDP however; we ordered the meals and I gave the cashier my room card. The touch pads are already set up for the new Magic Bands/RFID cards, so i touched my room key to the Mickey head as instructed and the cashier told me to enter my PIN... errrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmm... I told him we'd just arrived and that I didn't have one. He was pretty darn annoyed at that! I explained to him that no one had mentioned it to us - I guessed a number that I might have used, but of course it didn't work. He went off on one, saying how did he know that this was actually my room card, it could have been anyone's and we could just be saying that we didn't know the PIN so that we could use it! I almost told him to forget the food, but he eventually just put it through after a massive fuss! The end result was worth it :)

We enjoyed our sandwiches, the Disney fries and of course the American orange Fanta! After finishing up, we had a quick explore around the beach of the Poly - we love watching Wishes from there, and that was the original plan for tonight, but on stepping outside it was actually quite cold! Especially the sand!! That combined with the tiredness didn't make for a good combination and we decided we'd just do it another night and head back to the room! Lightweights I know!

Considering the plan was to go straight to bed, we didn't end up settling down until around 11:30! It had been a long day but after almost two years, we were back, and it felt gurrrrrrrd! We were so excited to hit up Magic Kingdom tomorrow!!!

I have been looking forward to this for a long time. Great start. Love it already. X

Hurrah keep going?

So. Do you now need a PIN number to access your meal credits? That's new. Please explain!

Sounds like an interesting airport experience :goodvibes

It certainly was one of those did-this-just-happen moments!!

Great start Bethan :thumbsup2

Thanks! :)

Brilliant start

x

Thank you :)

I have been looking forward to this for a long time. Great start. Love it already. X

Thanks Leanne, I'm loving writing it and going through all the picture!

Looking forward to your next day :yay:

Coming soon Lesley!

Hurrah keep going?

So. Do you now need a PIN number to access your meal credits? That's new. Please explain!

Ha, will do!

Pretty much everywhere in WDW now, they have these little machines next to the tills that look like chip and PIN machines, but they have numbers and a mickey head on them. The little screen says something like "please touch band/card" and you touch your room key (and eventually your band) to the mickey head; much like the new-ish touch pay over here. Once touched, it then asks you to enter your PIN. We had to do this for all our snacks/meals except for just a few times where the cashier just swiped it as usual.
I guess it's the same for charging to your room, using your room key/band.
You can also swipe your normal debit/credit cards on the top of the machine to pay using those too. Wish I'd took a photo of one!

Great start Beth, looking forward to more! :)

I've finally just sorted through all of my photos! I had almost 5000 :scared1::scared1: but have managed to whittle it down to 803 to stick on Facebook lol!!
Just about to start writing the next day of the TR :)

Fab start! I had a similar airport experience last year. I was about 5months pregnant and just at that awkward shes eaten too many krispy kremes stage - the woman doing the search repeatedly "checked" my stomach before i made a joke. Unfortunately she did not have a sense of humour!

Great start hun! Xx

Thank you! Next day coming up :)

Fab start! I had a similar airport experience last year. I was about 5months pregnant and just at that awkward shes eaten too many krispy kremes stage - the woman doing the search repeatedly "checked" my stomach before i made a joke. Unfortunately she did not have a sense of humour!

We must just have one of those dodgy faces Laura ;) :lmao:

28/4/2013: THE FIRST DAY IS ALWAYS MAGIC KINGDOM!​

We were planning on sleeping right through until 8:00am this morning, to give us a chance to catch up on all the sleep we have missed through excitement :) However, due to the time difference, that didn’t quite happen but we just decided to chat and stay in bed nevertheless. You’re resting as long as you’re lying down right?? We lay there and chatted about dole whips, funnel cakes and fudge – all of our favourite topics, and we realised that we could easily use our entire holiday’s snack credits today! :laughing:

For breakfast, we had our desserts that we had picked up with our dinner at Captain Cook’s last night. It was the macadamia nut cookie for me, a PB&J cupcake for Jo, a red velvet cupcake for Emma and a brownie for Tanya. Desserts for breakfast were going to become a recurring theme. As we’ve all heard before: THERE’S SO MUCH FOOD ON THE DINING PLAN. BRING STRETCHY TROUSERS!! OK, I might have just added that second bit…

Whilst getting ready, I had a quick check of the crowd calendars for today – the wifi here is super handy! We were definitely going to MK today, regardless of the crowd predicitions, but I was still happy to see that it was one of EasyWDW’s recommended parks with a crowd level of 6.

So after our breakfast picnic in bed, we got ready and were out and waiting for the bus at 8:30. We needed to get to Hospitality House to sort out the PINs on our room keys – didn’t want the same issue as last night when trying to buy food again. We caught the first bus that came (it was ALWAYS Hollywood Studios every morning of our holiday! Seriously, I’m not joking, it was like a sign that we should have always been there or something!) with the intention of getting it to Hospitality House. However, we hadn’t become accustomed to the route yet, and panicked when we thought that the bus had made it’s last stop at OKW and that we would end up at DHS instead of MK. In a bit of a panic, we jumped off at the Miller’s Road station. Of course, we could have just asked the driver what the route was and he would have told us that Hospitality House was his next stop… but that would have been too easy! As we rushed off and looked ever so lost making our way to the main area, the bus passed us several times! We looked like fools, and as we got to the reception area, the driver waved at us!

When I went into Reception to change our PINs, the front desk person brought up our room on the screen, and asked if I was Bethan or Rosario… what on earth? No idea who Rosario was but hope she’s having a great time! First surreal room moment… the other was when I was checking something in the room for some other reason, and the CM asked me which Bethan I was as he had two Bethan’s down as guests on the reservation!? After sorting out the numbers, we decided to take some photos of the area around Olivia's and the pool… I went to snap away but nothing was happening; I’d only gone and left my camera battery in the charger at the room! One of many ‘blonde’ moments to come! Seeing as we were in that area anyway, we decided we’d collect our resort mugs and then walk back to the room to drop them off and pick up what I had forgotten. We eventually made it to MK around an hour later :laughing:!

Show us your “we’re-on-a-bus-to-Magic-Kingdom” faces girls!

Tanya hadn’t quite gotten to know my ways yet, and is clearly a tad embarrassed! You can’t hide behind that post girl!

As soon as we got to MK, excitement washed over us!! We were home and ready to make more of those memories!!

First stop was the Theater where we bought the Photopass Plus – the line wasn’t very long, but it took aaaaaaaaaaaaaages. The prospect of skipping down Main St made me quite inpatient whilst I waited :lmao:. We finally purchased it, took photos of the serial numbers and then hopped outside to start putting it to use!

Photopass pics to come...​

Before long, the Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It parade was starting as we were hanging around the Hub, so we decided to stay in that area and take it all in! We had great fun dancing with the characters, in particular watching Mr Incredible strut his stuff, and doing the conga with Donald! Isn’t it so cute how his little bum shakes??

Emma and Tanya also loved the huge Mickey confetti at the end – it will certainly come in handy for the photo albums!

It was now time for the first ride of the holiday, so we headed to Tomorrowland to do one of our faves: Space Mountain! It was advertised as a 30 minute wait, but no way was it that – more like 10! Lets hope this continued for today! Everyone did their space faces for the camera, and we added the picture to our PP+.

As it was near and it offered lots of choices, we headed to Cosmic Rays for lunch. For some unknown reason, the cashier was not happy. When we mentioned we were on the DDP, she actually sighed :rolleyes2! Once she had put it all through, she then muttered “and I suppose you don’t even have a PIN number do you?”. Ha!! Actually Ma’am… I do! I had the turkey sandwich with fries and a carrot cake for dessert (i.e. breakfast the next morning).

Continued in the next post...

After lunch, we were in time for the castle show at 1:15. I absolutely love this show, and always have the soundtrack on in my car. Dreams. Come. True. I’m saying that whilst I do the arms at the same time of course! I love Donald and his angry little self in the Captain Hook costume, and the bit where Mickey and Minnie do a little nose kiss towards the end. And then there’s all the beautiful princesses… and Peter Pan… and the fireworks… I could go on and on!

Also, something I noticed for the first time this trip, now that I had a zoom lens… how weird are Hook’s and Smee’s face mask things?!

*shudder*​

Next we popped into the Bibbidy Bobbidy Boutique; this is where Jo used to work, and it was nice that a lot of her old co-workers still worked there! There were lots of hugs and shrieking and we all got pixie dusted! I love that stuff – it stays in your hair for aaaaaages pixiedust:! We were also getting quite hot by this point, so obviously we needed some sort of icey, slushy beverage! The frozen raspberry lemonades won out this time! Darn MK and it's no alcohol rule :rotfl2:!

We decided to head over and see some of the new Fantasyland next! We passed the Be Our Guest restaurant, and made a note of where we needed to check in later. We also had some Photopass pictures taken outside the castle. The photographer was a great elderly Japanese man, who also offered to take some pictures with my camera when he saw it poking out of my bag. So he took those first, slung it on his arm, and then took some with his Photopass camera. When we had finished, he waved us goodbye but still had my camera. I tapped the arm that the camera was on, and he tapped me back. I did it again, where he then asked me quizzically why I was stroking his arm….uhhhh, my camera! He had completely forgotten he had it!

We next bumped into Gaston; this guy was HILARIOUS!! We joined the line and just laughed as we listened to him interacting with all the guests. One of the ladies in front of us had her photo and then skipped away; Gaston shouted: “I leave all the ladies skipping!” – think that one was more for the adults haha :rotfl:! We had our pictures taken next, we thanked him and he announced: “the pleasure was all yours!” :blush:

Jo couldn't resist but to cop a feel of those muscles!​

Seeing as we were around in that area we decided to try The Voyage Of The Little Mermaid ride; it was advertised as a 60 minute wait, and I knew it was just kind of a dark ride, but we had to try it! I thought it was really sweet although we didn’t quite wait a whole hour!

It was now coming up to time for the parade – aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh! :banana: :banana: We LUURRRRVVVVEEE this, and it is another soundtrack that I have playing all the time! We watched it from Frontierland, and I managed to snap some fab pictures after a lovely family made some space for us up front; the Mum said, “your camera looks fancier than mine, come up here and get some good photos”! You gotta love the guests at Disney!

We decided to do Haunted Mansion next, and walking through, we of course had to get the obligatory stock shots! Little did we know that we would be learning a lot more about this ride and area on our Keys to the Kingdom tour next week.

Next, we picked up a Fastpass for BTMR as we didn’t fancy waiting out the 40 minutes. Whilst waiting, we decided to do POTC followed by the Jungle Cruise. For some reason only known to Jo, Emma and Tanya, “Bomokandi” (taken from the name of our boat “Bomokandi Bertha”) became my new name this trip. It just kinda stuck for the entire two weeks… :rolleyes2 :rotfl:

That brought us nicely up to our Fastpass window for BTMR. I videoed the girls as we went around – it was so funny to watch back! At some point, I’ll figure out how to upload it and get it on here!

Continued (again!) in next post...

We now decided to head over to check in for our BOG dinner. There’s nowhere really to wait with your pager, just outside on the bridge. It was getting quite hot, so not the most pleasant of experiences, but I wonder what they do when it pours with rain? Soon our pager buzzed and we made our way to the doors where the seater presented us with a candelabra.

We followed, and we were seated in the Ball Room – everything was so detailed and pretty. We were looking forward to a beer after the roasting hot day today, but I was out of luck – I didn’t have my passport with me and so the server refused. Under no circumstances whatsoever would she accept my driving licence :sad:. The girls felt bad as they had all been more wise than me and had brought their passports, but it wasn’t the end of the world! It was my own fault, and I happily enjoyed an ice cold Fanta instead :p! As we waited for our food, I got up to take a quick picture; I noticed the ceiling that I had read about. There’s lots of babies painted on the ceiling, and apparently, their faces are of the children of the Imagineers who were involved in the project. Emma commented that they creeped her out a little!

I ordered the pork, cooked well done! I’m a bit of a scaredy cat when it comes to cooking meat! It was still so, so tender and tasty and extremely filling! I loved the mac ‘n’ cheese that accompanied it; wouldn’t have been my first choice of ‘sides’ but it did go very well! My new favourite food!

Thyme-scented pork rack chop with au gratin macaroni, seasonal vegetables and red wine au jus.

Whilst the meal was nice, it was extremely rushed. I know they had a stack of people eating in there during the evening but seriously I had never seen anything like it. After 10 minutes our server returned to ask if we had finished. Emma, Jo and I literally just had but Tanya had not. They took our plates and left Tanya to carry on. Not even three minutes had passed before a different server came over and asked Tanya again had she finished. Now this time, it was definitely clear she hadn’t; she was literally putting the fork into her mouth. However, without her having a chance to answer, mid-fork-to-mouth, the gentleman took the plate and walked away. Our jaws dropped, we were speechless – did he just do that :confused3? We called after him, but he just carried on walking away! Desserts consisted of various cupcakes and cream puffs. They were nice, but we were all incredibly full by this point that we only really managed a taste. I opted for the no sugar added lemon-raspberry cream puff.

All in all it was a lovely meal, but some of the service left a lot to be desired! It was just nice to actually see the place! However, we couldn’t have been in there for more than 40 minutes!!

It was a nice touch that the Beast walked through the restaurant every so often, where the servers had to bow to him. After our meal we were then invited to meet the Beast in his quarters! Of course we obliged! Picture's on Photopass :(

We headed back to OKW for a quick break after dinner; Jo and I’s feet were in agony :sad:. I made the mistake of wearing a pair of leather Topshop sandals for the first time today and after walking around all morning and afternoon, I was left with huge blisters on the soles of my feet. Every step was awful by this point. How could I have been so stupid :crazy2:? We spent around half an hour in the room whilst I tried to cover my feet in various plasters and dressings, and then headed back to MK. We had some photos taken at the entrance whilst it was dark, headed under the station, and arrived just in time for the Electrical Parade.

We headed a bit further up Main Street for a spot for the Celebrate the Magic castle show. I enjoyed it, but still much prefer the old The Magic, The Memories and You show. The soundtrack for that was much better in my opinion, but maybe it’s more because of the memories of the time we spent working there that the show holds for us. The show finished, leaving it 5 minutes until Wishes :hyper: :hyper:!!! We inched closer on Main St, ready to watch it for the first time since we left in the Summer of 2011; we were pretty much in the same exact spot but unfortunately now without our big group of friends :(. It did not disappoint, and we all shared a little tear and a hug afterwards! I swear we are still mourning our Disney carefree life!! I didn’t take any photos of the show/fireworks tonight as I wanted to watch it properly, and not through a lens as I usually do! There’s some to come in future posts though!

To avoid the rush, we headed into the Emporium. I loved some of the new Disney tops, and as always, I fell in love with the kitchenware. Why do I always want the big stuff that’s impossible to bring back home?? We caught the bus back to OKW, arriving back at around 11:00pm. We had a quick look at the Photopass photos from today and I uploaded everything from my camera onto the laptop. I slathered on the after sun lotion after getting burnt to a crisp this afternoon, moaned about my stupidity and the state of my feet and got ready for bed. It had been a fantastic first day, and strangely, it felt like we had never been away!

Another great day but your poor feet! Ouchy.

I find it strange that they wouldn't take your driving licence though. In the years that I've been able to drink I've only ever used my driving licence when ordering drinks (and there's been a lot lol) and although on a few occasions they have double checked with someone else its always been accepted.

I love your photos too :)

Wow that's pretty bad service, I'm not one to complain but I most definately would have in that situation, i'd have been furious.

Your poor feet, I made a similar mistake on our first ever visit to WDW.

Another great day but your poor feet! Ouchy.

I find it strange that they wouldn't take your driving licence though. In the years that I've been able to drink I've only ever used my driving licence when ordering drinks (and there's been a lot lol) and although on a few occasions they have double checked with someone else its always been accepted.

I love your photos too :)

I know, it's weird about the ID right? Out of three months in the summer of 2011, I was only refused the driving licence once; and that was in Bongos in DTD - I just figured it was because it wasn't entirely a 'Disney' place :confused3 But this trip, my first attempt, it was refused :confused3 I said to the server in BOG that it was in English and that I had used it in WDW umpteen times before without any problems but she was adamant that she could not accept it unless it was American! She said she used to be a bartender at WDW and was aware of the trouble it could get her into, and that it wasn't worth it lol :confused3

Anyhow, I didn't risk it from then on in, just took my passport out with me everyday - I didn't like doing that to start, but I took good care of it, so luckily there were no losses! There was nothing that was going to get in the way of me and a frozen margarita. Or ten. :rotfl:

Wow that's pretty bad service, I'm not one to complain but I most definately would have in that situation, i'd have been furious.

Your poor feet, I made a similar mistake on our first ever visit to WDW.

Yeah, looking back now, I wish we'd complained - especially as we called after him and he blatantly ignored us!! :mad: But I think we were just in a bit of shock when it happened, that we didn't know what to do :rotfl:

I was so annoyed at myself with my feet - it was definitely a mistake I'd expect to make if it was my first time, but it wasn't, and it's the kinda thing I always tell people who go - never where new shoes!! Silly Bethan :crazy2:

Just wanted to add a photo from the first day that I forgot to add to the TR.

I took it during the Dream Along With Mickey show; I love it! No idea who the little girl was, but she was engrossed with the show! I love how you can just make out Minnie and Mickey in the background :goodvibes

Amazing start! Hook and Smee are scarrryyyy!!

I've been caught out at disneyland california not accepting my driving license as ID and wanting my passport - I understand its policy but at the time when it's standing in the way of me and a mojito on a hot day!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter