Friends in suite, would you book in a different category?

robinb

DIS veteran
We love to cruise and we have friends who also love to cruise. I have told them to let us know when they go next and maybe we can go together. Well, they did. They are cruising with another couple they met on another cruise and in August on the Grandeur of the Seas and they have both booked suites. Real suites, not junior suites. While I don't mind cruising with the other couple, I am concerned that they 5 of them are both in suites. I can afford a suite, but I choose not to. We prefer a balcony, but we're perfectly OK with any cabin including an inside cabin. A view/balcony is nice, but the ship goes to the same place no matter where you sleep.

In any case, we won't book a suite so we won't be able to take part in any of the suite benefits. We would never want to be attached at the hip with our friends, but I'm concerned that we won't see them at all while they hang out with their other friends in the Club Lounge and at breakfast.

Would you book the cruise anyway and try to hang out when they're not doing "suite things"? Or would you skip this cruise and go on another with them?

We were lucky enough to win a Royal Up to a Crown Loft Suite for a cruise we were taking with some friends. It really wasn't a strong bid so surprised that it happened. So to view this from the other side, there was a few things that would have been nice to include them into but we couldn't, mainly the Suites Lounge and Coastal Kitchen. It wasn't a big deal for us as there were only the two parties and we have done suites before.

The issue here would seem to be the dynamic of the third party. Because you are on a Vision class ship, I'm not sure that this is really even a deal breaker as there really are few locations/opportunities to be in a "suites only" area. The issue here, as you mentioned, is breakfast and afternoon/evening drinks. The suites usually have an option for a dining venue at breakfast but that seems easy enough to work around. Are the other parties likely to sit for a while in the lounge and have a drink in the evening? That would seem to be the sticking point for me. Since that lounge is not the biggest and the Viking Crown is right there, maybe everyone can meet there and sit and those with lounge access can pop in as needed.

On the flip side, not sure what the cost difference is on that ship/sailing, but it would be nice to have the extra space of the suite. If the upcharge is not that much, could be worth it to have lounge access also. Some of the other perks are nice, especially the free pressing and double points.

We were lucky enough to win a Royal Up to a Crown Loft Suite for a cruise we were taking with some friends. It really wasn't a strong bid so surprised that it happened. So to view this from the other side, there was a few things that would have been nice to include them into but we couldn't, mainly the Suites Lounge and Coastal Kitchen. It wasn't a big deal for us as there were only the two parties and we have done suites before.

The issue here would seem to be the dynamic of the third party. Because you are on a Vision class ship, I'm not sure that this is really even a deal breaker as there really are few locations/opportunities to be in a "suites only" area. The issue here, as you mentioned, is breakfast and afternoon/evening drinks. The suites usually have an option for a dining venue at breakfast but that seems easy enough to work around. Are the other parties likely to sit for a while in the lounge and have a drink in the evening? That would seem to be the sticking point for me. Since that lounge is not the biggest and the Viking Crown is right there, maybe everyone can meet there and sit and those with lounge access can pop in as needed.

On the flip side, not sure what the cost difference is on that ship/sailing, but it would be nice to have the extra space of the suite. If the upcharge is not that much, could be worth it to have lounge access also. Some of the other perks are nice, especially the free pressing and double points.
Thank you so much for your reply. That is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for!

An inside up on Deck 7 or 8 with my suite friends is $1370, an outside down on Deck 4 is $1648, A balcony is $2478 and a suite is $3730. I just can't bring myself to pay that much for a suite :(. Heck, I might just book an inside GTY for $1065 and go super cheap :).

This is my friend's first time in a suite and I know they will want to enjoy those actives afforded to them. They will enjoy a drink or two in the lounge and that's fine. We are usually pretty busy in the evenings between trivia, dinner and the shows anyway. We can maybe suggest that they have breakfast with us if we're all on the same excursion or drinks in the Viking Crown as you suggest.

Without knowing all the details, Itinerary and number of days, the $3700 doesn't seem too bad, but my last sailing was in the Royal Loft Suite on an Oasis class last month,8-) so my perspective is skewed.

Really should be pretty easy to accommodate the groups with the ship class you are sailing. I would still look at a Royal Up opportunity, if you are eligible, and put in a moderate bid. Would be a little more but could get you into the suites at a lower price point.

Happy sailing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter