Friends Don't Let Friends Do Karaoke - All Aboard (Day 1, Part 1)

wilma-bride

<<This space intentionally blank>>
Saturday 26th October

I do not remember what time I woke but I know it was far too early, considering it was nearly midnight before we’d gone to bed (having been up for almost 24 hours). I sat in the lounge area for a while, reading and catching up on Facebook. It wasn’t too much longer before Daniel and Sian were awake, shortly followed by Gary. Daniel had mislaid his jacket the night before so we had a good look around the room but there was no sign of it. We all got showered and dressed (no mean feat with just one bathroom) and headed downstairs for breakfast. Country Inn & Suites offers a free buffet breakfast. The offerings were fairly limited but we didn’t mind as we were only interested in one thing – make your own waffles. They have a couple of waffle irons and batter is already made up. You just dispense the batter into a plastic cup, pour it into the iron, close the lid, turn the iron over, set the timer and 2 minutes later…voila…

Because the waffles were freshly made, they were hot and delicious. We were soon joined at the breakfast table by Char and family and we commandeered the little side room, off the breakfast room. We sat for a while, chatting and then Jen and Rob turned up with their son, Logan, a real cutie. Char asked if we minded if Jen and Rob be included in our plans for returning the rental cars, since Rob’s car was from Budget (where Char and Nate had rented from) also. I said, no problem, and we all agreed to meet in the lobby at 10.15 since we had a 10.30 PAT (Port Arrival Time). On our previous cruise, we’d rented from Dollar (as had Tony and Theresa). The boys had dropped us off at the terminal with the kids and the luggage, then driven to Dollar to return the rental cars and ended up stuck there for well over an hour waiting for a shuttle. In the end, they ended up having to catch a cab to the port so we could get on the ship at a reasonable time. In order to prevent similar issues this time, Char and I had come up with a plan months ago that Gary and Nate would return the rental cars together. The plan went something like this:

Gary and Nate would drop me, Char, the kids and the luggage off at the port.
Char and I would go ahead and check us all in.
Gary and Nate would drive separately to either Budget or Hertz (whichever was closer) to drop off the first rental car, then drive in the remaining car to the next rental return and catch a cab (no waiting ages for a shuttle) back to port, where we would get on the ship nice and early (having hopefully scored a low boarding group number).

What could possibly go wrong?

So, after breakfast, we went back upstairs. Gary repacked the cases while Sian, Daniel and I went to have a wander around and take a few photos. We hadn’t had a chance to look around properly the night before as it had been pretty dark when we arrived.

Daniel decided to recreate a holiday memory from his first trip to Florida in 2008, when he fell into the hot tub.

We saw this really weird nest on one of the windows at the side of the hotel. I zoomed in as much as I could but we couldn’t figure out what they were – hornets maybe?

The view of the pool from our room.

At 10.15 we were stood outside the front of the hotel, waiting patiently for the others. Char, Nate and the kids soon turned up and said that Jen and Rob weren’t far behind. I was so excited, I could hardly sit still. It was already a beautiful day, the sun was shining and it was so lovely to be sitting on the front porch soaking up the rays. When Jen and Rob hadn’t arrived 10 minutes later, I started getting a little antsy and Char and I were joking about remembering how difficult it is to get organised with a toddler. They soon turned up, lugging about a million bags (I remember those times well – it’s impossible to travel light with a little one). We were soon on our way and only a little bit behind schedule, at just before 10.30. Before long, we were rewarded with our first glimpse of the beautiful Disney Fantasy (well, the smoke stacks anyway).

Gary dropped us off at the kerbside and we unloaded the luggage, which was promptly carted off by a very friendly Cast Member (at least, I hoped it was). We joined the long line to enter the gates as they hadn’t even started letting people in to the terminal yet. Poor Jen was trying to juggle bags and folders and Logan so I went to give her a hand. I told Rob that he needed to make sure he had photo ID in order to get into the terminal later, and I made sure Gary had money for his share of the cab. The guys all drove off and we stood in line waiting to be let in. Daniel took a group shot of us, looking very disorganised but excited.

Before long, we were allowed in and we slowly inched forwards and then rejoined the line to get into the terminal. Jen was lagging behind again, having got caught up at the entrance. By the time she was through, there were quite a few people in front of her and, although we beckoned for her to join us, she didn’t want to cut in so stayed where she was. We spotted Wendy and Rich walking around the front of the building and in through another door. Char joked that maybe it was a special entrance for Platinum cruisers but I knew they weren’t Platinum and I recalled having been able to enter through that door (and skip ahead of the long line) on a previous cruise. Lo and behold, while we were still waiting to go through security, Wendy and Rich were on the escalator up to the check in area.

It wasn’t long before we were joining them though and heading for check in ourselves. There were two separate areas, one for repeat cruisers and one general. The line for general check in was much shorter so we went there and were called up to a desk straight away, where we scored boarding group number 2. We got all checked in, then went to find Wendy and Rich, who had joined the repeat cruisers line and had only just finished. I asked Wendy if she could show me where the observation deck was as we hadn’t managed to find it on any of our previous cruises. I also gave her the hat that Rhiannon had crocheted for Moe, a knitted monkey who goes on all of their travels with them. Char said she was going to wait for Jen to get checked in so we went out on to the deck with Wendy and Rich. Wendy kindly took a picture of me and the kids.

We went back inside to find somewhere to wait for Gary and, just before 11.30 I received a text from Char asking if I’d heard anything. I must admit, I had started to wonder why they were taking so long but I knew they needed gas so assumed they must have been held up somewhere. I decided to try and call Gary, figuring they would at least be in a cab by now. I dialled the number but it wouldn’t connect. The second time I got connected but it was just ringing out. I kept trying until eventually I got a message saying my calling credit was running low. I panicked at this point as I had topped up before we left so all the texts and (unconnected) calls had cost me almost £15. I was even more worried that I couldn’t get hold of Gary. I spotted Char and Jen across the room so went over to see if they’d heard anything. Char told me that Rob was here so I figured Gary couldn’t be far behind. But, no, it turned out that they’d got to Budget to drop off Rob and Nate’s cars and there was a shuttle there waiting. Since it was there and it was free, Rob decided that he and Nate should just get on the shuttle and meet Gary back at the terminal. It turned out that Jen had been unable to check Rob in as he hadn’t signed the cruise paperwork so she’d called to let him know and he had come straight up but Nate had waited for Gary outside. I was really worried by now, as I couldn’t get hold of him and had no way of contacting him. Wendy offered me her phone as she obviously had a US contract and I tried again but I was still not getting an answer from Gary. Boarding had begun and there was no sign of Gary or Nate. Char tried again to get hold of Nate but got no response either. I knew I was probably stressing over nothing but I couldn’t help but worry about what would happen if he just didn’t turn up. Our group number was announced and Wendy and Rich were going to wait but I told them to go ahead, saying we’d see them on board. I went back over to Char and Jen, who were lining up to have a picture taken with Captain Mickey. I don’t recall how the conversation went exactly but I know I was stressed and I ended up walking away saying “We had a plan! Why couldn’t they have just stuck to the plan?” At that point, I saw Gary walking across the terminal and practically ran over. I heard Cassie behind me, saying “He’s gonna get it now” to which I responded “It’s not HIM I’m annoyed with”. I grabbed the kids, bags and Gary and we joined the line to get on the ship. They were already calling boarding number 9. We had our embarkation photo taken and, just before we got on the ship, I took a big, deep breath and said to Gary “OK, I’m calm now, let’s have a fabulous cruise”.

On board, we headed straight up to the pool area. We grabbed a table on the starboard side, half in sun (for me) and half in shade (for Gary). Gary and Daniel went in to Cabanas first, to get some food. I texted Char and told her we were on board, apologised for getting stressy and asked her to tell Nate I appreciated him waiting for Gary. She replied and said it was OK. Sian and I went in to get some food and I got a lovely big glass of pink lemonade (I am totally addicted to this stuff, even though it probably has a million calories and a zillion e-numbers). I really wasn’t feeling too hungry so I just got a little bit of everything I fancied, including my first Disney chicken strips of the holiday.

While we were eating I got a text from Wendy, asking if we’d found Gary and everything was OK. I replied to tell her it was fine and we were sat having lunch. Shortly afterwards, she and Rich turned up and joined us for dessert.

The chocolate brownie was delicious but incredibly rich. After lunch, Daniel wanted to go swimming so he got changed into his swim shorts and got straight into the pool. Gary, Sian and I wandered around the ship, taking a few photos along the way.

I couldn’t get over how big the Fantasy was, having only sailed on the Wonder and Magic (the older, smaller ships) before.

As we were wandering along Deck 11, we came across Char and Nate, Jen and Rob. We stopped to chat and I apologised to Jen and Rob for having got so stressed out before. We looked down to the pool area, where we discovered that Daniel had found Abby (or had Abby found Daniel?) and all shyness of the previous evening appeared to have been forgotten as they were happily splashing each other in the pool.

Meanwhile, off the port side of the ship we could see a pair of dolphins happily playing in the water.

We stood around chatting for a while. I think Char was feeling the effects of a couple of Welcome Aboard drinks, having not eaten any lunch yet. She was telling us how she was one of the first people on the Aquaduck. We said farewells and went up to look at the adult only pool areas at the front of the ship, which were really great (we would be spending a lot of time here over the next few days). Then we pulled a reluctant Daniel out of the pool and went down to check out our rooms.

We had SR numbers 7194 and 7687. 7194 is a Cat 5E with oversize verandah, right at the rear of the ship. This was a fabulous room and, without a doubt, I would book it again. It was right in the centre of the ship, above the flag pole (so no obstructed views) and the verandah was absolutely huge.

The kids were sharing room 7687, which was a Cat 11B inside stateroom with magic porthole.

In both rooms, we had received a gift basket from Dreams Unlimited (who we booked the cruise through) and a Castaway Club gift (for being returning cruisers).

The gift basket contained some really great stuff like an extension cord, water bottle, glow sticks and a watch as well as lots of other handy bits and pieces. The best thing was the dry-wipe board, which proved absolutely invaluable over the course of the cruise (although it was abused by one person in particular, which you will find out about later in the trip).

The Castaway Club gift consisted of a Disney Cruise Line rucksack, two packs of Mickey Cheddar Crackers (similar to Goldfish Crackers) and a Disney Cruise Line keyring.

I quickly decorated the doors with the magnets I had brought, most of which the lovely Wendy had designed for us.

It was almost 2.30 so time to head out for the Embarkation Day Meet 'n' Greet.

To be continued...

What a fab stateroom, Joh. The verandah looks as big as the room itself!

We stood around chatting for a while. I think Char was feeling the effects of a couple of Welcome Aboard drinks, having not eaten any lunch yet. She was telling us how she was one of the first people on the Aquaduck.

I just have my priorities straight. Booze, fun... food was a close 3rd. ;)

Great start :-)

I love the room, you're right it's huge!

Looking forward to the next instalment.

Annie x

Great start! Love all your descriptions and you're right, that room was huge!

Annie x

Great update Joh :goodvibes
Having heard the story of the car rental return I think I will stick close to Philip in May and get a cab back to the port!
Wow, the veranda looks HUGE
Lovely family embarkation photo :)

Looks amazing .... Fantasy cruise definitely on my wish list one day ... if I can ever tear myself away from Disney Magic.

Love love love the Fantasy! Reading along with your trip will get me excited to go back in May! Catherine and I liked the stateroom we booked last time, we booked it again! 8504, the forward right corner stateroom you can roller skate in. :rotfl2:

When Catherine and Amy do their super-long DCL cruises, they are on the classic ships, which are still much nicer than the size of most cruise lines' staterooms!

I just have my priorities straight. Booze, fun... food was a close 3rd. ;)

I didn't have my first alcoholic drink that day until dinner - what's up with that :confused3

Following along! :)

Thanks for reading :)

Loving that balcony! :)

It was great - we will definitely book that room type again :thumbsup2

Great start! Love all your descriptions and you're right, that room was huge!

Annie x

Hi Annie, nice to have you reading along :)

Great update Joh :goodvibes
Having heard the story of the car rental return I think I will stick close to Philip in May and get a cab back to the port!
Wow, the veranda looks HUGE
Lovely family embarkation photo :)

I think you will be fine as long as you stick together ;)

Looks amazing .... Fantasy cruise definitely on my wish list one day ... if I can ever tear myself away from Disney Magic.

The Wonder was my first Disney cruise ship and my first love but the Fantasy really is beautiful. It is just the number of people on board which is a slight issue - not that it seemed crowded on board generally; it was just at certain times (the shows, Castaway Cay) that ti was more noticeable.

Love love love the Fantasy! Reading along with your trip will get me excited to go back in May! Catherine and I liked the stateroom we booked last time, we booked it again! 8504, the forward right corner stateroom you can roller skate in. :rotfl2:

When Catherine and Amy do their super-long DCL cruises, they are on the classic ships, which are still much nicer than the size of most cruise lines' staterooms!

Ooh, I like the sound of a room you can roller skate in. Are you bringing your skates? I really wish we could cruise with you, Catherine and the others in May.

Fantastic embarkment photo! :thumbsup2

Thanks hun, we didn't buy many of the pictures this time as they just didn't come out all that well - and we didn't really have that many taken, we just never seemed to have time.

It's horrible when things don't go to plan isn't it ? But you're onboard now, and let the fun begin. Love the size of that verandah ::yes::

Phew! You did have me slightly worried we'd be minus a Gary for the cruise, but glad it turned out ok in the end! :thumbsup2 I love your embarkation photo, great capture :goodvibes

One down and ?? to go! What a crazy stressful embarkation... I realize you know Gary must be somewhere but argh!

Your balcony is huge! What a great location.

That's a lovely welcome aboard family photo.

This really makes me want to book a Disney cruise bad. :)

Now that's what you call a balcony!

It was certainly pretty impressive!

It's horrible when things don't go to plan isn't it ? But you're onboard now, and let the fun begin. Love the size of that verandah ::yes::

I was over it pretty quickly once I got onto the ship ;)

Phew! You did have me slightly worried we'd be minus a Gary for the cruise, but glad it turned out ok in the end! :thumbsup2 I love your embarkation photo, great capture :goodvibes

Not as worried as I was Rach :scared: Yes, it all worked out fine in the end and we were able to relax and enjoy our vacation.

One down and ?? to go! What a crazy stressful embarkation... I realize you know Gary must be somewhere but argh!

Your balcony is huge! What a great location.

That's a lovely welcome aboard family photo.

This really makes me want to book a Disney cruise bad. :)

Brenda, thanks for popping in :) Yes, I was incredibly stressed. It was just the fact that I couldn't get hold of him and had no idea where he was.

You know you want to book a Disney cruise. Maybe the year after next ;-)

Just found these Joh and looking forward to reading them as we've got our first Fantasy cruise this summer :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter