Frequently Asked Questions - Under Construction!

teri

DIS Veteran
DIS disABILITIES Discussion Board Frequent Topics and Questions

Peruse at your leisure. Obviously this is under construction, and more information is out there to be folded in. :D I am just figuring out how this all works, so bear with me.

Suggestions appreciated!

galc.gif

"My brain takes a vacation just to give my heart more room..."
teri@iluvdisney.com

Great FAQ! Thank you it is so helpful.

I have a suggestion, maybe if a number of people who've recently been or are going could each take an attraction and write about accessibility procedure from the perspective of the person with disability, like procedure, ease of transfer, etc.

I think that would be a great idea. We are going in 33 days and I would love to help. Teri let me know what you think.
MichelleNY

:)
I have a feeling some of that information may already be hidden in existing posts! Always worthwhile to make information more accessible. SueM has a whole book (about 10 years out of date) of accessibility info about attractions, I am not sure we want to rewrite that one! But it would be good to have some kind of supplement to the official Guidebooks. :)

galc.gif
DIS disABILITIES Discussion Board FAQ under construction!
"My brain takes a vacation just to give my heart more room..."
teri@iluvdisney.com

I'm going May 12-May 19 you can bet on me doing a brief 2-4 sentence synopsis of each ride, think of it as a thank you for the all the information I found on this board :-)

Just returned 3/20 from a 7 day stay. A couple of quick observations I will try a report later. I rent an ECV from an off site vendor. I found all CMs helpful but sometimes they did not seem to take my ECV seriously.Tell the CMs right away if you can not walk.One restaurant the CM told me to park my ECV in the lobby I told her I can't walk to the table.
She immediately said fine come this way.
On the rides that say you must transfer to a w/c again make sure the CM knows if you can't walk. On the great movie ride I approached the entry in my ECV and said to the CM I need to transfer to a w/c. And he waved me in. So I thought maybe I had read the brochure wrong. Sure enough an ECV can get all the way down to boarding but then I had to "walk" from the ECV parking place to the ride. I barely did it, my DH carried me. So my lesson is to let the CMs know what you can do immediately. I did feel that an ECV was seen as convenience not a necessity by many people.

Nanajo DVC 8/98

Offsite 5/78
Contemp 11/85
BWV 3/99
OKW 11/99
BWV 3/01
OKW 11/01

Just look at what ECV (Electric Convenience Vehicle) and you realize that Disney perpetuates this attitude. I especailly irritates me that they lump power wheelchairs into this category also.
Please write Guests Complaints about this attitude. The more of us that complain the faster they will get the point.
These are not a convenience but a mobility need.

Pooh Bear

Before this board came into being, I wrote a lot of individual emails to people about transfers into rides. I'll see if I can dig those up. There are really only a few basic types of ride cars. Once you know that, you can figure out which rides are harder to get in than others. A

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter