Freecyclers -- what's your favorite freebie???

Wow - some great stuff!

Our moderator is kind of power hungry. She heads up two of the local freecycles. I was not aware that I could not ask for the same item on both - I was collecting prom dresses for the Cinderella Project last year, and I got an email lashing like you would not believe! :eek:

Nothing, although I've given away tons of good stuff. We freecycled a sectional when we moved, there was nothing wrong with it, it was just waaay too big for our tiny new living room. The people who picked it up were so nice, overall it's been a really good experience. It's a great way to get stuff reused that can't be used in your home anymore.

When we moved here, I applied to join the local group and the moderator said I sounded greedy even though we'd never taken anything and my old moderator vouched for me. :confused3 Needless to say a ton of stuff has gone to Goodwill as we downsize and when I move home for summer break next month, I'm rejoining my old group. This one here is too :snooty:

What the heck? How can someone tell you "sound greedy" in a Yahoo message? People sometimes baffle me. Sorry you had a bad experience with that one!

I joined our local group, but it seems to be mostly dogs and non-working appliances. We already have 2 dogs and DH isn't exactly "Mr. Fix It", so, for us...nothing we need.

That is the craziest and one of the rudest things I ever heard!

I've never used Freecycle but might check it out -- but jeez, they make it sound like a sorority or the Junior League - didn't know you had to be "approved"! That's pretty ridiculous, isn't it?

My first group is/was great, so I think it completely depends on the moderators. It soured me on freecyle here, but definitely not freecycle everywhere. And yes, it annoyed me enough I still tell the story 8 months later. :rotfl:

What the heck? How can someone tell you "sound greedy" in a Yahoo message? People sometimes baffle me. Sorry you had a bad experience with that one!

I joined our local group, but it seems to be mostly dogs and non-working appliances. We already have 2 dogs and DH isn't exactly "Mr. Fix It", so, for us...nothing we need.

The whole application email was weird although I understand the not wanting people to join multiple groups at the same time. Somehow I think I'm better off, don't need that drama. :thumbsup2

My old group had a strict no animal rule, I liked that. You also could report no-shows and if someone had repeated no-shows for picking up items, they were suspended for a bit. It's a well run group, I'm looking forward to rejoining next month when I get home.

a britax convertible cowprint covered carseat (less than a year old, mint condition...originally over $250) it was great since I was getting ready to start watching my nephew in a week (my sister didnt have to run out and spend that crazy money)

I have given away many things. Kids play sets, step 2 houses, wooden swing set, cameras, printers (all inworking order)

I love it...even picked up a dresser for my dd7's room (and it matched her furniture perfectly)....

Couches for our family room.

Bike and scooter for dd (Disney Princess!)

We've given away a LOT more! Countertops, sink, faucets, cabinets, beds, etc. Can you tell we remodeled lately???

I was just going to ask if you thought it was Ok to list a broken flat screen. My dh is the opposite of yours. Our 50 inch stopped working on Friday and Saturday evening we bought a new one.
We are in NJ, where are you??

No where near NJ (well not without a VERY long drive!). List it and see. Worst case you get no takers, but at least you tried. Someone listed a Carpet Cleaner today that needed fixing and I know that DH could fix it no problems but we have a new one so I don't need it, and I don't know anyone that needs one. We don't like to sell stuff so no point in asking for it.

Wow - some great stuff!

Our moderator is kind of power hungry. She heads up two of the local freecycles. I was not aware that I could not ask for the same item on both - I was collecting prom dresses for the Cinderella Project last year, and I got an email lashing like you would not believe! :eek:

That stinks. We have several groups for the different city/county areas here, and we can post to others but we have to put "Cross Posted on XYZ" and if you are out of that area you have to be willing to meet the person in their area.

Our Moderators don't seem to do much. They have told us to report No Shows but I don't think they do anything about it. The worst was that I started getting email newsletters from some local charity I knew nothing about. And no option/address to unsubscribe. After a few weeks I finally contacted them and asked where they got my contact information. He told me he got it from the Freecycle list and assumed that everyone on there would want their newsletter. I WAS TICKED! I told him to get my name of off his list and to never contact me again. Even if it was a charity I might have supported that was just WRONG so they lost my support. I also reported it to the moderator but again, never heard anything from her and the Read Receipt was never acknowledged. And that guy is still on the Freecycle list.

I've gotten some very nice designer clothing for my daughter.

A full set of text books.

Tickets to Mary Poppins on Broadway (on my b'day weekend no less!)

I've also given away a lot of great stuff on Freecycle and always love being able to help someone.

I've only had 1 bad experience on Freecycle: I found a the person who posted a "want" for baby items and said these baby items were going to an unwed mothers home/church, was actually SELLING them at her own yard sales and pocketing the money!! I had given her well over $1000 worth of perfect condition baby items with the good feeling that I was helping young women in need. I was very disappointed when I found out, but it never stopped me from still offering items on Freecycle and responding to 'wants' when I had an item I hoped someone could use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter