free wifi in park for app

Mollygirl21

Mouseketeer
I've searched for a more recent thread specifically about wifi in the WDW parks - has there been any change?

We're coming from Canada and would prefer to not use our cell data because it's so expensive but we also want to be able to refresh for FPs and check wait times on MDE.

What about on the busses? I saw some threads that indicate the busses would be getting wifi - has that happened?

@Mollygirl21 - FYI, I moved your post from that old thread into a new one. Sometimes it’s best to start new threads on some topics as posters don’t tend to read down and notice new posts and/or old threads contain outdated info.

In my opinion, the WiFi in the parks is generally fine for refreshing and other app needs. You can run into spots where you’ll have a weak/no signal, but generally speaking it works OK for our needs. I do sometimes switch to cellular if needed.

As far as busses, I believe that is just a rumor and has not been confirmed. Here’s the latest I’ve read on the subject: http://blogmickey.com/2019/07/new-buses-with-usb-charging-and-wi-fi-debut-at-walt-disney-world/

@Mollygirl21 - FYI, I moved your post from that old thread into a new one. Sometimes it’s best to start new threads on some topics as posters don’t tend to read down and notice new posts and/or old threads contain outdated info.

In my opinion, the WiFi in the parks is generally fine for refreshing and other app needs. You can run into spots where you’ll have a weak/no signal, but generally speaking it works OK for our needs. I do sometimes switch to cellular if needed.

As far as busses, I believe that is just a rumor and has not been confirmed. Here’s the latest I’ve read on the subject: http://blogmickey.com/2019/07/new-buses-with-usb-charging-and-wi-fi-debut-at-walt-disney-world/

THANK YOU! For setting this up and for the info :flower:

I've searched for a more recent thread specifically about wifi in the WDW parks - has there been any change?

We're coming from Canada and would prefer to not use our cell data because it's so expensive but we also want to be able to refresh for FPs and check wait times on MDE.

What about on the busses? I saw some threads that indicate the busses would be getting wifi - has that happened?

Hey, im from Canada too! There's free wifi at all of the parks plus disney springs, and the resorts. So you'll be fine. I usually turn off my data when i get to disney too. Just keep in mind that in some spots in the parks the wifi might not be great. And some times it'll just cut out altogether. But for the most part, its pretty good. :)

We're from Canada and I always use the wifi except when on the buses or monorail. When on transportation then I do use the $7/day easyroam package which allows me to use my regular data package and not pay any additional data fees. I could just not use my phone when on the transportation since it's a relatively short time but it's often the only downtime I have to change bookings or read my e-mail so I do it since it's not that expensive. Between using wifi and the only occasional use of cell data, I've never run past my data limits (and I have a relatively minimal package since I'm usually able to use wifi at home in most places). So if you are OK with not having connectivity when on transportation (although that does appear to be coming), you'll do fine using wifi. There are some spots where it isn't great but for the most part it works fine. It used to be that when you were in the buildings when in line the wifi wouldn't work at all but that seems to be improving.

When I was there last september, the wifi in the parks hit and miss. It worked fine for checking waiting times and fastpasses. The only issue I had was that it kept cutting out when I tried to use mobile order for quick service meals.

Ditto PP, the wifi at the parks is spotty and prior to us having unlimited data, we had 5GB for 2 adults and when we'd travel to WDW, we'd always go over. Sometimes in one location you're connected to the wifi and you move a few feet and you are off. For the most part it worked but I did have to use data a few times when picking FP+ since the wifi wasn't working.

This past May, the wifi in the parks was still hit or miss. There were areas where the signal was strong and it worked well. Other areas, there was no signal at all.
Have not had a problem with wifi at any of the resorts.
Wifi on buses, I think, is still just a rumor wiith no substance. They did just put in USB ports on the buses for charging.

I have a stupid question. Is the WiFi good enough for kids to be streaming YouTube or whatever while waiting in line?

Unfortunately, my kids will get impatient waiting in line, hence the need to occupy them. The impression I get is that it's sufficient to check the Disneyworld App on your phone, but I don't get the sense that it would work well for streaming stuff.

I have a stupid question. Is the WiFi good enough for kids to be streaming YouTube or whatever while waiting in line?

Unfortunately, my kids will get impatient waiting in line, hence the need to occupy them. The impression I get is that it's sufficient to check the Disneyworld App on your phone, but I don't get the sense that it would work well for streaming stuff.

It can be but it’s not always reliable in some locations. It’s definitely improving but it’s not 100% perfect and sometimes just trying to change FP+, I’ve had to hop off the WiFi and use data. It’s improved with every visit but we really don’t pay too much attention since prior to having unlimited data we would just up our data plan before we travel anywhere.

It can be but it’s not always reliable in some locations. It’s definitely improving but it’s not 100% perfect and sometimes just trying to change FP+, I’ve had to hop off the WiFi and use data. It’s improved with every visit but we really don’t pay too much attention since prior to having unlimited data we would just up our data plan before we travel anywhere.
Thanks. I will see how it goes. I'm guessing that everything simply comes down to how heavily used it is.

I would be surprised if you can get YouTube to stream. Most of the time I can get the app to work for FPs and mobile ordering, and email. But even that can be spotty. Once you are inside a ride queue, the wifi almost vanishes.

Similar to the YouTube question, I was wondering who has had experience trying to upload photos on the park WiFi? Mainly I would like to post a photo on Facebook. I sometimes have issues with that at other public WiFi spaces.

It depends on where you are in the parks, but in general, I have not had trouble uploading a photo to Facebook using the park WiFi.
However, the WiFi in the resorts seems to be more stable for that.

Unfortunately, my kids will get impatient waiting in line, hence the need to occupy them.

Download the Play Disney app. It's still a work in progress but there are a few games and trivia that are linked to your location that can help pass the time and it doesn't have a lot of connectivity requirement; the wifi works fine for it.

I read in one of the resort threads, Pop I believe, because I had just returned from there, that someone did ride a bus with WiFi, but I haven’t been on one yet. It’s possible their bus was a test. I always use the WiFi, since I have a prepaid cell with no data, and most of the time it works fine. If you end up in a dead zone, you don’t have to walk far to get a signal.

What he said

Depends on the crowds in the park as well. MK was fine for us on our last trip in the morning, but after lunch when the park got crowded, the service was so spotty that I was unable to reserve additional fast passes for a good part of the rest of the day. This was back in March. Oddly enough, 2 years ago on a previous trip we had no trouble at any of the Parks other than in some of the indoor queues, but this was in the week after Thanksgiving, so I’m guessing crowds really affect the coverage. Hotel wi-go was excellent.

Getting YouTube to work was pretty spotty, in my experience. I would use the hotel's wifi at night to download a few episodes of their shows on Netflix so they would have something ready to watch if needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts