Free things to do at resorts? Cheap eats?

leahcar

Earning My Ears
I live two hours away from WDW and am bringing my daughter and her friend over for 2 days this week. The girls are 12. We aren't going to go to the parks, but plan on popping around the resorts to check out decorations, walkign around Downtown Disney, etc.

Any suggestions for cheap or free things to do? How about inexpensive food? Thanks!

At Downtown Disney they usually have entertainment, bands, etc. for free. You could also ride the monorail for free if you jump on it at one of the monorail resorts. The lobby of the Grand Floridian is so pretty.

Earl of Sandwich is quite reasonable! And sharing an ice cream at Ghirardeli's would be yummy too.

Earl of Sandwich at DTD is a lot of food for your money. My kids thought the big Virgin store was cool when they were pre-teens. Is that still at DTD? There's the fun Christmas shop at DTD, too.

You could also take a bus from DTD to Animal Kingdom Lodge to see the animals, and maybe stay for the storytelling out by the fire. The Mara (AKL food court) has great food options, too.

If you go by the Epcot resorts in the evening, you have the entertainers on the boardwalk. They do juggling, magic, etc. There are also several counter service food options in that area, to include the boardwalk, YC/BC resorts and the Swan/Dolphin. You can take your pick of several places where fireworks can be seen in the evenings around the MK resorts, the Epcot resorts, and , I believe, DTD, depending on how late you plan to be out.

If you're in DTD, you can take the boat to POR. Their Make Your Own Pasta bar in the food court is great. Portions are large enough to share. They also have evening entertainment some nights. If you have your own car it would be easy to get back to your hotel.
And the boat ride is scenic!

I buy CS kid meals for myself. I usually get the salad and it comes with two sides and a drink....last time I went I think it was under $6. Don't know what it costs now. But it was relatively healthy as you can get grapes and carrot sticks as your sides.

Earl of sandwich had the best subs for cheap. I would recommend taking a bus to Animal Kingdom Lodge too. To see the giraffes and zebra's and such is almost like going to a zoo.At night you can take a bus to the Contemporary Resort and go to the 4th floor? and sit out on the balcony and watch the fireworks at the magic Kingdom's castle- the music is wired in up there too.

Earl of Sandwich at DTD is a lot of food for your money. My kids thought the big Virgin store was cool when they were pre-teens. Is that still at DTD? There's the fun Christmas shop at DTD, too.

You could also take a bus from DTD to Animal Kingdom Lodge to see the animals, and maybe stay for the storytelling out by the fire. The Mara (AKL food court) has great food options, too.

my dh and kids loved the virgin store, but sadly it's no longer there.:goodvibes

No Virgin Store? Oh well! DTD was just beginning to go through an upheaval last time we were at WDW. I'll have to check it out to see what's new there. They better not have done anything to Raglan Road!!!!

Splitsville bowling occupies the location that once housed the Virgin Megastore. It's around $15 per person per hour if you're interested in that. It's a bit pricey.

Fortunately, Raglan Road is still going strong!

I was going to suggest this. I've heard there are several good spots to view the animals that anyone can use.

Also, many of the resorts have a campfire at night for roasting marshmallows (free). I know that POFQ and POR do. I know that Fort Wilderness campground also has it, and that you can see Chip & Dale there as well. Then maybe go by the beach area where I heard you can see wishes.

Where are you staying?

Some ideas that we have done include: swimming at the resort, walking around DTD, boat ride between DTD and PO/POR, ride the monorail, visit WL (incredible building), AKL to see some animals, walk around the lake at the Boardwalk, some of the resorts have evening movies/campfires/etc.

We have not done it, but mini-golf might be fun too.

Most of the food court type places serve reasonably priced food.

We always spend at least the first and last days (travel days) doing the above. It's relaxing and lots of fun.

Thanks for the great ideas! We're staying at Caribe Royale and I'm sure most of our time will be spent at the pool. However, we're heading over early in the morning and I'm planning on dragging the girls around the Disney area for a while since our hotel won't be ready until late afternoon. They are mostly interested in the hotel water slide and I'm the one wanting to explore Disney property!

Thanks for the great ideas! We're staying at Caribe Royale and I'm sure most of our time will be spent at the pool. However, we're heading over early in the morning and I'm planning on dragging the girls around the Disney area for a while since our hotel won't be ready until late afternoon. They are mostly interested in the hotel water slide and I'm the one wanting to explore Disney property!

Any guests are welcome to check out the Disney resorts and eat at their restaurants. They can check out the pools. But if the girls are interested in swimming at the Disney resort, you have to be a registered guest of that resort. I hope this helps. :)

Any guests are welcome to check out the Disney resorts and eat at their restaurants. They can check out the pools. But if the girls are interested in swimming at the Disney resort, you have to be a registered guest of that resort. I hope this helps. :)

I believe the OP meant swimming at their own hotel. The Caribe Royal has a pool and their own 75-foot water slide.

You can also ride the water taxis for free. I would do a loop, first going to OKW, then browse around until you get to the Marketplace stop. You can go over to SSR and catch a few appetizers on the patio at the Turf Club. Then walk back over and catch the water taxi to POFQ and POR; both have entertainment starting at 8:00 pm in their respective lounges, Wednesday through Saturday.

I love the water taxis and concerts at DTD - Old Key West - Goods to Go - conch chowder is about $4 - plus you can often get a grilled cheese to go with that not too bad a price - it is fun to travel by water to all of them depending on how much time you have - POR, POFQ, SSR

DTD Wolfgang Puck Express IMO best value for money spent - lots of things large enough to share. Ghiradelli chocolate free samples a nice sweet ending.

MK area resorts monorail and water taxis - WL, Contemporary and GF - fun to go to Fort Wilderness - lots of places to walk. I like the pork sandwich at Captain Cooks at the Poly and take it to eat out by the pool - nice view of the lagoon and great "Hawaiian" atmosphere.

Jazz band at the GF!:)

Ice cream at the Boardwalk about $5 gives you a very large serving (double scoop) which is easily a size to share IMO. Water taxi from the Boardwalk resorts to HS - to Epcot - just enjoying the Boardwalk atmosphere is nice - benches and rocking chairs.

AOA resort - food court with some interesting options you don't find everywhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter