Free Dining Fest 9/25-10/2--Pics and 18% gratuity included Part 1

lonegungirl

Mouseketeer
The cast: DM and I.
The mission: Go to WDW and eat anything within arm's reach.

9/25: We arrive in the afternoon, and get a nap and a car so we can be ready for what I have decided will be our traditional first night dinner at CA Grill! We split this meal but were still stuffed.
DSC04318.jpg

The bread was great, but maybe we were just starving since we hadn't eaten from morning, on the plane.

DSC04319.jpg

The Snake in the Grass appetizer. We always order this, and I continue to love it, despite the fact that it always makes us full before the entree. The nori was a little tough, but I notice that sometimes there--I don't know whether it has to do with the humidity or what.

DSC04320.jpg

The filet (split portion.) A nice piece of meat--probably the best tasting steak I had the whole week.

DSC04321.jpg

I also dearly love their lava cake. I always look at the other desserts and think "I should try something new..." and then always order the lava cake.

Summary: Probably my favorite restaurant there, because of the food and Wishes. I would pay OOP for it. Probably the largest meal we shared for the week.

9/26: Lunch at Starring Rolls. Unfortunately, I ended up forgetting to take a photo of the turkey foccacia sandwich because we were starving. This is why breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Lunch also came with your choice of chips or fruit, and a dessert.
DSC04325.jpg

The tiramisu was pretty good. I'm not huge with desserts that have an alcohol undertaste, but DM really liked it.

Dinner at Brown Derby.
DSC04329.jpg

The crab cake was excellent--the best crab cake I've had in awhile, although I didn't really notice much of the "sake laced" part. The outside was nice and crispy, and the inside had large chunks of crab.

DSC04330.jpg

The duck breast/sausage entree. I thought this was very good, although DM would have liked it more if the skin was crispy. I was happy just not having bones.

DSC04331.jpg

Some sort of banana-butterscotch thing, with an oddly jello-y cube in the middle. It was good in the sense that any dessert is better than no dessert (IMHO) but not really outstanding. Very cute, though.

Summary: Starring Rolls seems to be my choice for best counter service in MGM--at least you get your choice of a nice dessert. I always enjoy BD but would agree that on a dollar basis, it's not really a great use of the dining plan--go for love, not money.

9/27: Breakfast at Sunshine Seasons
DSC04335.jpg

Basically, since the Fountainview was closed to turn into a wine bar for the F&W, this was the only place for breakfast, and this was pretty much what they had. It actually was much better than I thought it would be, with non-rubbery eggs, and crisp bacon.

Lunch at Sunshine Seasons
DSC04343.jpg

We couldn't make it all the way around to Japan or Morocco where I was hoping we'd eat, so we went back and ate here again. I really liked the beef flatbread--the meat was really tender and the sauce was not too spicy. Bonus points for this being the only CS that let me get a large drink. The fruit tulip was good and much better than the Asian Cake I had there last year. We split this and it was very filling.

Dinner at Jiko's
DSC04352.jpg

The chicken flatbread was delicious--a nice crisp crust and the sauce wasn't overpowering.

DSC04353.jpg

The beef filet was good but the meat was not as tasty as at CA Grill. DM didn't much care for the macaroni and cheese, but she may be used to the kind that comes in the box. Not really outstanding.

DSC04355.jpg

The pistachio creme brulee was way better than I remembered it from the last time I went there. The last time I remembered it being a little soggy, but this time the top was appropriately hard, and the pistachio taste was very pleasant. This was probably the best creme brulee I had this trip.

Summary: I had been to Jiko's in the past and not been too impressed. This time, I really liked the appetizer and the dessert, but the entree left me a little underwhelmed. I would probably try a different place next time.

Thanks for the great review and pictures. We are eating at CG on our first night which is in less than a week. Can't wait for Thursday to get here. We are also eating at Jiko on our trip. CG & Jiko are our two favorite places to eat at WDW. :)

I was glad to read your review. I also think the filet at CG is much better than the one at Jiko. Now, we liked Jiko, but we just didn't love it. I think the hype on these boards had me expecting more.

lonegungirl said:
The cast: DM and I.
The mission: Go to WDW and eat anything within arm's reach.

I love this goal. Thank you for the report; especially the pics.

Awesome photos..that one of breakfast has me drooling.

Cookie Princess said:
I was glad to read your review. I also think the filet at CG is much better than the one at Jiko. Now, we liked Jiko, but we just didn't love it. I think the hype on these boards had me expecting more.

Yeah, that was my feeling. It was good, but I think for the extra difficulty of getting to AKL, I could go to one of the other places.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter