• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Free Dining doubtful - travel agent says WDW bookings up by 50% for August this year

Harambe

I miss Tapestry of Dreams!
She said that she would be surprised if Disney offered the free dining, seeing as reservations are way up. We go anyway, and don't use the DDP, but I know its important to many people on the boards.

Disney is just so crafty! Folks making ressies in hopes of the free dining, but with all the ressies, Disney doesn't have to offer it.

I absolutely love Disney - but every now and then, it just looks like Godzilla approaching the city . . .

Wonder how this would impact those already booked. I know there were a lot of people out there who have booked in hopes of free dining. I know a lot booked a 'lesser' resort with hopes of upgrading if free dining is offered. But, wonder if anyone will just flat out cancel their bookings if there is no free dining.

:rotfl: LOL at the Godzilla reference! I almost spewed coffee on the keyboard!

I am just bummed because it seems like WDW is just getting busier and busier. I was planning on going in late Sept, hoping for less crowds than our usual Oct trip. Oh well....

We will still go, but would switch our rooms to AP discounted rooms and not keep our package rooms. We have package rooms reserved with one day tickets and no dining. Normally I don't book in advance but since we had a GG it would be time consuming putting in all of the names and addresses last minute. Since 5 of us are AP holders, we would cancel our packages and reserve value rooms at the AP rate (I've been an AP holder since 1995, so am pretty sure there will be AP discounts in August) and we really don't need the one day tickets. We are moving to the DVC resort BCV after the first 4 nights, so would get the DDP there if we want it.

We're going with or without free dining. I hope that some sort of good package deal will be offered for those who didn't get the 40% pin code.

I don't think we would go anyway. I keep thinking about the weather, and the threat of hurricanes, and know my family would really prefer visiting other months of the year. If free DDP isn't offered, we would probably wait and go around Thanksgiving (we would rather fight the crowds than the heat!).

:rotfl: LOL at the Godzilla reference! I almost spewed coffee on the keyboard!

I am just bummed because it seems like WDW is just getting busier and busier. I was planning on going in late Sept, hoping for less crowds than our usual Oct trip. Oh well....

Yes - this is how I feel, too. It seems that Disney just doesn't want ANY slower times. Like they're not making bazillions on those busy times. We can only go in August now, because DD is starting high school and has informed me that she will NOT go during the school year (whose kid is she?!?!?!).

The crowd levels the last week in August are fine, but with the free dining, it rose considerably (still doable with EMH and Fastpass), and I can't stand being so competitive for a spot at a restaurant. I also can't stand the restaurants changing menus just because of the DDP.

And where's Mothra when you need her???????

I was hoping that it would be offered this year because I wanted to plan an extra trip for my DGD and me. I won't even think about it if I have to pay for dining because we already had our vacation, and I can't justify paying full price for Disney once I factor in airfare.

I did just see that there is the expectation of an extra busy hurricane season this year. I wonder if that will make an impact.

Yes - this is how I feel, too. It seems that Disney just doesn't want ANY slower times. Like they're not making bazillions on those busy times. We can only go in August now, because DD is starting high school and has informed me that she will NOT go during the school year (whose kid is she?!?!?!).

The crowd levels the last week in August are fine, but with the free dining, it rose considerably (still doable with EMH and Fastpass), and I can't stand being so competitive for a spot at a restaurant. I also can't stand the restaurants changing menus just because of the DDP.

ITA! :thumbsup2

Your DD sounds like my DS?!?! We are doing our first Aug trip (instead of Sept) because of him! Needless to say I am not too happy about it but have to keep reminding myself that I am the parent & I have to behave like one! :laughing:

Sometimes it can be a good thing that your DD or DS don't want to miss school. My DH & I are going to Disney for the 3rd year in a row without DD who is in high school because she won't miss school. It made me sad :sad2: the first year , but then the magic took over & I was fine.:) We did do other another vacations with DD when school was out & she took a trip with out us.

Yes - this is how I feel, too. It seems that Disney just doesn't want ANY slower times.

They don't want slower times, WE want slower times. They want to fill their rooms and restaurants up and make money.

I know where Rodan is.

And, if people cancel their bookings without free dining, I don't know about expecting Disney to jump up and offer free dining just because of the cancellations...but enjoy the extra space in the parks.

If there is a busy hurricane season this year, it will certainly impact next year. This year may be seeing the impact of a practically nonexistent hurricane season last year.

We have gone the past 2 years in August but this year we have to go at the end of July. I thought I heard something about many of the southern states not starting school until later in August this year. Perhaps that may account for a busier than normal August.

There has been a big push in the South to get schools to start after Labor Day. I would assume that will impact the crowds as it occurs.

I'm not sure I buy the 50% more bookings figure. Is this 50% more than when Disney offered free dining? I know that many, like me, booked early so that we could make our 180+10 day ADRs, but I and my entire group of 19 will be cancelling and making off-site arrangements if a great deal isn't offered. I'm sure Disney is aware of this! (Not my personal situation, but the situation in general.)

There has been a big push in the South to get schools to start after Labor Day. I would assume that will impact the crowds as it occurs.

That is one of the reasons we go at the end of August because the South has started back to school and the crowds are minimal until Labor Day weekend. Either way it's a great way for us to end summer.

They have added more days to the school calendar next year (I think 5), but they are spread out throughout the year in our city.

Our schools start on Aug. 9, which is about the same as previous years. Who knows what will happen in the future, though!

(Of course, we homeschool, so we can go anytime! :) Planning a trip for September to hopefully avoid the crowds!)

I don't think anyone really knows if there will be free dining or not. I called WDW today to adjust some ADRs (AGAIN), and the CM told me that she thought they were going to offer it again this year. I do think there will be some cancellations if they don't offer it. I guess we just have to wait and see...hopefully not too long though! I am going NUTS!:eek:

I'm not sure I buy the 50% more bookings figure. Is this 50% more than when Disney offered free dining? I know that many, like me, booked early so that we could make our 180+10 day ADRs, but I and my entire group of 19 will be cancelling and making off-site arrangements if a great deal isn't offered. I'm sure Disney is aware of this! (Not my personal situation, but the situation in general.)

I don't know where she got the figure either. Just offerred that up. As someone else said, I guess it's "hurry up and wait".

If they are predicting an active hurricane season (I hope not too bad, at least for the poor Floridians), Disney may offer the free dining in case folks start to cancel.

Well, we're still going - regardless of weather or crowds. Any day at WDW is grand!

I'm not sure I buy the 50% more bookings figure. Is this 50% more than when Disney offered free dining?
FWIW, I would take that statement to be 50% more than what bookings were just before Disney offered free dining last year. Beyond the logic of it, the timing is right... it's March 4, 2007, so they really can only compare to March 4, 2006.

I know that many, like me, booked early so that we could make our 180+10 day ADRs, but I and my entire group of 19 will be cancelling and making off-site arrangements if a great deal isn't offered.
As far as I know, there is a great deal offered -- 40% off room rates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter