"Free Dining" donate to Katrina aid?

Dizneydaz

DIS Veteran
I've read some messages lately that some people are cancellation their vacations to WDW because they feel with all the devastation happening due to Katrina that they don't feel they can enjoy their vacation.

How's this for an idea?-What if some of the Disney guests who were able to take advantage of the "Free Dining" plan donated a portion (or all) of the $$ saved and donated to the cause. I realize that not everyone can afford it but those who can might alleviate their guilt(?) at have a good time while others are struggling just to survive. I plan on donating to the Red Cross-I haven't decided the amount yet but my family has saved over $400 with the free dining offer. My sister, who has visited New Orleans several times announced at lunch that she's donating $500. (And she's never even been to WDW!)

Some good news that may not make it over the airways, The Disney Company has donated 2.5 million dollars so far. 1 Mil to Red Cross, 1 Mil to rebuilding effort,and 1/2 mil. to local volunteer groups. So I say, take your vacation, spend your money to keep economy moving, and if you feel bad about having fun-donate to a legitimate charity (I understand Lowe's will match customer donations-if this is true then whatever you give will be doubled-check it out first.)

13 days and counting. :grouphug: :grouphug:

For anyone who can do it, great! I know that some families probably could not do a WDW trip w/out free dining, but many can. And certainly, many folks (I hope) are already helping in whatever way they can (donations, etc). But this is one more good way to help, and every bit will help!

I had another idea, too. I really wanted to do something that "felt" like it was going to help more than say, just a $20 donation, so I was trying to come up with something helpful without cancelling my trip altogether (my 5 yo just wouldn't understand, and frankly, I am just itching to go too!). What about a voluntary "downgrade" on your resort? If you are able to make this change, that is. If you are staying in Deluxe, go moderate, or even value. If you're in moderate, go value. Then send the money you save to help with hurrican relief.

Another thing that just happened to me...I got an unexpected $37 check in the mail from an overpayment on a medical bill, and figured, hey, I wasn't expecting this. It's in my hands for a reason, and someone else needs it more than I do, so I'll send that money along to our friends in the Gulf region, too, along w/our prayers. :grouphug:

It still feels like not enough, but if everyone did *something*, it would make a huge difference, don't you think?

Bunnysmum

We're from New Orleans and have had a Disney trip planned for some time now for the end of this month. At first we thought about cancelling, but have decided to go ahead with our plans. I think it's inspiring that people would think about not going because of the situation not just in N.O., but the Gulf Coast in general, but life has to go on. Also, I have to thank everyone for all their prayers and concern. That goes a long way. We were already looking forward to the trip, but honestly we're REALLY looking forward to it now. Only wierd thing is that we're staying at Port Orleans Riverside. Only 23 days to go - nothing like a little Mickey magic to brighten things up for a while.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter