Freaking out slightly- looks like there will be two scooter users on my trip!!!

stargazertechie

Toy Story Midway Maniac
So my parents and I have had a "post chemo" trip scheduled for my dad for several months. We've known from the get-go that Dad would need a scooter, and we rented him one when we booked the trip.

My mom has been having extreme knee problems the past month or so. She'll be fine for a week, and then in a hip-to-ankle knee brace the next week. She keeps saying she doesn't need a scooter. I'm not arguing with her now- I figure I can always call apple 48 hours before we leave and arrange for a 2nd scooter.

My question comes down to the GAC- My dad needs to be out of the sun as much as possible, and cannot do stairs. I know I'll need a GAC for him because of the sun issue.

Will I need to get a 2nd GAC for my mom, because there is NO way that she can do stairs, but there's the chance she may not be in a scooter or wc...?

A GAC is good for up to 6 people. So if you plan on staying together, then one will be fine. If you plan on splitting up then you might need two. Rent her the scooter. Tell her it's insurance and will allow everyone to relax and have a better time.

You can find more information about GACs in post 6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread. That thread is near the top of this board or you can follow the link in my signature.
Most of the lines are shaded fairly well, so you may find that your father will not really use a GAC for that very much. There is one I can think of which has many unshaded areas and a GAC won't help - that is Lights, Motor, Action at the Studio. There is quite a long distance from where you enter the line and then walk around the back of the theater to get to the entrance. Depending on how fast the line is moving, you can get stuck in the sun for a while with no way to avoid it. We generally just position ourselves in a way that blocks the sun for our DD.

If he is using an ECV, he will be avoiding stairs since the CM can see the ECV and will route him in the way that avoids stairs. If he chooses to park the ECV and leave it outside the attraction, then he would need a GAC to avoid stairs.

As was mentioned, a GAC will be issued for up to 6 people, so your mother can sty with him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter