framing prices AC Moore vs. Michael's

Firefly09

going through Disney withdrawals
I have an art poster that I'd like to frame and hang up. It's not a standard size so I would need custom framing or cut off a few inches of the poster which I would prefer not to do. If anyone has a rough idea of which, AC Moore vs Michael's, would be a better deal I would greatly appreciate saving the gas to do the comparison myself.

Thanks!

Usually Michael's will have coupons for 40% or 50% for framing. I have paid a lot for framing of my art work. Try to find a local framer who may have some going out of stock parts and can give you a deal.

Professional framing can get expensive. :scared1:

I used to work at Michael's and I know that there custom framing is marked up 110% (even using a 40% or 50% coupon) they are still high and that was 5 years ago but they do beautiful work though. As far as AC Moore goes we do not have one of them around but we do have a Pat Catan's and there work is great and there prices are less than Michael's.

I pre-ordered Tangled and got the free set of 4 lithographs. They are an odd size, and I can't find frames that size, even online.

So I took them to AC Moore to get an estimate on having all 4 of them framed and matted.

It would have been almost $1,000 :scared1:

Yeah - almost $1,000 to frame 4 FREE lithographs.

I just wish Disney had made them a standard mat and frame size!

They are really beautiful will the embossed gold seal - and I really love the lantern scene litho - but for that price, I'm going to have to save up for quite some time to get them framed! :sad2:

I had a huge Disney poster priced at both about 2 years ago and even with the 50% off coupon at Michael's, AC Moore was over $100 cheaper. They did a great job!

Michaels sells up to 24x36 mats. I buy these for about $6 with a 40% off coupon. They are full mats with no cutout. You just need to measure and cut out (remember to cut on an angle!) with a razor blade to the size you need. You could buy one of their cheaper smaller sizes if you wanted to practice first but it's pretty easy. They come in about 6 different colors.

I also got a very nice looking silver 24x36 frame in the poster frame section (it looks just like a regular frame). They were on sale for $19 with an extra 25% coupon that expires today. They had black also.

If you are the slightest bit handy, try here:

www.americanframe.com

You specify the size you need, and they will sell you the specific lengths you need, along with plexiglass and a mounting board. Then you just need to assemble them. It's very easy and I recommend them. At the very least, the website will walk you through everything.

The last thing I frame was a cross-stitch that was about 8"x13". It came out to about $30 with shipping.

If you have a Hobby Lobby nearby, check them out. On the Maiden Voyage of the Dream in January we received a Ducky Williams litho & I wanted to frame it for a reasonable price. I bought the frame at Michaels (on sale 40% off, plus 25% off coupon). I looked for precut mats (wanted a double mat) but they didn't have any big enough. Gave them the measurements & asked the price to custom cut them -- $112.00 for the mats & cutting!!!

Went to Hobby Lobby. Gave them the measurements, picked out the colors I wanted for the mats, and within 15 minutes I had my custom cut mats. Price (for the mats and the cutting) $22.00. I spent another couple of bucks for a backing board & went home & put the whole thing together. It looks beautiful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter