Found insurer who will cover volcanic ash...

Columbus direct offer an add on to their policy `Emergency Travel Upgrade` to cover unforseen circumstances preventing teturn home - they have added this because of the volcanic ash.

Also saw yesterday that Aviva are adding `ash cover` as an add on to their policies from 1st June.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/may/23/volcanic-ash-travel-insurance

Both seem to offer ok cover (I think but don`t really know much about insurance and havn`t heard much about Aviva - hear the name columbus a lot more)

I`m assuming this would be as well as Travel Delay already included.

Does anyone know anything about either?:confused: we still havn`t sorted our insurance for August

Thanks

I always look at the maximum level of cover for everything listed in the policy. You need to be sure that it is adequate to cover your needs in that area should anything go wrong. So if your flights cost you £500 each, then a cover level of £400 isn't going to cut it for me. Similarly, to give an example, I do a fair bit of shopping out there. So a £500 luggage cover is also pointless. It really depends on your needs.

Most decent policies will cover you to some extent for delays anyway. However they usually kick in with compensation after a minimum amount of time, say 12 hours for example, and then pay out at regular intervals at a set amount up to the limit offered. You also need to check thing like abandonment/cancellation and make sure that you have adequate cover. It is such a personal thing and varies widely. I have in the past had the habit of over insuring myself, although I am fully aware that you can only claim for your actual losses. I look at it this way: I am spending several thousand on a trip, so why would I compromise on my insurance to save £20?! Now somewhere between lies a happy balance and it is just a case of finding the right one for you. I see plenty adverts on tv for Aviva. They have been around for a while but I don't know anyone who has used them so can't report on this. You need to feel comfortable with your choice though and if you are the kind of person who sticks to trusted brands, then stay with a provider that is familiar to you in some way.

I made a claim with Aviva (back when they were Norwich Union!) a few years ago. They were great, paid up immediately. I normally still insure with them because of that.

Both seem to offer ok cover (I think but don`t really know much about insurance and havn`t heard much about Aviva - hear the name columbus a lot more)

Aviva = new name for Norwich Union i.e this country's biggest Insurer.

Columbus = not an Insurer, they are a broker. Their cover is provided by an Insurer I have never heard of (probably some Lloyds Syndicate)
and you need too look hard to even find that mentioned.

Go with Aviva.

We got a reasonable quote from Aviva for annual travel insurance so we are going to wait another couple of days and book with the add on for emergency cover - read about it on Martin Lewis' website, and it is one that is recommended.

We have other insurance with Aviva too, so we trust them!

We got a reasonable quote from Aviva for annual travel insurance so we are going to wait another couple of days and book with the add on for emergency cover - read about it on Martin Lewis' website, and it is one that is recommended.

We have other insurance with Aviva too, so we trust them!

what is the add on for emergency cover??

Thanks for the replies, never thought of Columbus just being a broker I assumed they were an insurance company. Am going to get quote thru Aviva as the `emergency cover` is available from tomorrow.

Please does anyone know - if you have this emergency cover - can you claim for travel delay as well (hopefully it won`t be needed) as you can on the Columbus one.

Thanks, its all so confusing..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter